The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Default David Bromberg and American Crossroads Trio: Blown away

Last Saturday, I saw David Bromberg for the first time. He is currently touring with Larry Campbell and David Hidalgo. I admit I wasn't familiar with the other two names, but have since educated myself.

It was one of the best concerts I have ever been to. The musical energy and synergy between those three musicians was one of those very rare opportunities where you get a glimpse of what the essence of music and music making truly is and can be, if you just put the right people together.

Larry is a mind-boggingly versatile musician - he played mandolin, fiddle and guitar, and his vocals were amazing. He sang the lead on one number, which — I'm guessing — must have been a big hit for Los Lobos, "Volver, Volver," and his Spanish was impeccable, at least from what I could tell. Not the usual "Spanglish" accent.

Hidalgo's vocals are sheer power, as well, and on several songs, he pulled out the accordion.

All in all, a one-of-a-kind show. I really hope they make an album together.

Go see them if you can.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases