The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-09-2018, 06:27 AM

Default Looking for Ideas on Alternate Installation Methods for K&K Mini in a RainSong

I have a Mi-Si Trio in my main performing guitar, a RainSong CH-PA1100NS and a SBT in my newest CH-WS1100NS seems like a good contrasting option (I am always amused by the AGF comments on ubiquity of the Pure Mini when it is completely invisible on the mass market guitar retail websites :~). I have installed quite a few K&K Minis over the years (largely for friends and mostly Martins but once a RainSong CO-DR1100N2) and have been at it long enough that two of the guitars I did the install on went back to Martin for neck resets. According to the repair receipts the K&K Minis were removed and reinstalled. I checked both guitars with an inspection mirror and they looked fine. The K&Ks sounded fine too.

Without a sanded smooth maple bridge plate, the standard gel cyanoacrylate installation will be permanent in a RainSong. I guess future repair work on a RainSong seems unlikely (but if required I suspect a RainSong is unrepairable anyway), but someday maybe a pickup upgrade or repair will motivate removal. I checked with RainSong and they cyanoacrylate glue them in, but they also cut holes in the sides of guitars for barn doors...

Has anyone tried something other than adhesive tape installation (which I tried once and immediately re-installed with cyanoacrylate due to a VERY weak signal)? I noticed in another thread that Emerald puts some kind of white build-up underneath their K&K installs.

Some ideas:
  1. I have 20 mil Sapele veneer and I could glue that between the heads and the CF.
  2. Maybe paint the heads or the inside of the guitar with a weaker coating such as nitro laquer.
Any other ideas? Maybe install a McIntyre Feather instead???

Thanks!

Update/Edit:

So as to not trigger sending this useless thread back to the top... The short story from K&K is don't put anything besides crazy glue gel between the heads and the bridge plate. RainSong says they also do the standard crazy glue install. I am going to use crazy glue gel too. If it needs to come out someday, I'll soak the heads with acetone for several hours first (dissolves cyanoacrylate but does not attack the cured epoxy which bonds the CF).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 03-10-2018 at 03:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification