The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Default Taylor Expression System Issues

Hi Everyone, I'm a worship pastor in Louisiana who is having issues with a Taylor guitar. The guitar is not mine(I'm a Martin guy), but belongs to our other acoustic player. The issue we have is the high level of noise the guitar picks up. You can hear the guys pick, you can hear the strap squeak as it rotates slightly on the strap pin. It's just the noisiest pickup I've ever heard. It's a 414ce from 2008ish.

Is the simply an issue of how the expression system works, or has someone discovered a fix for this? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:42 PM

Might be a good idea to start with a call to the Taylor customer service number pastor.

They know their guitars and different ES systems better than most -

Customer Service.
Our El Cajon, California and Amsterdam, the Netherlands Factory Service Center staff can help with any service, maintenance or repair questions concerning Taylor guitars. United States and Canada:
1-800-943-6782.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:17 PM

I had a 2007 414ce. It had two white on and off switches on the preamp just inside the sound hole. Try switching those off and see if that helps.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 AM

I have a Taylor 710ce that had the original ES1 pick up system. They upgraded it at least twice recognizing limitations and issues with it. They will fix your friends guitar by upgrading the electronics. Your cost is $200 + shipping. Expect 2-3 mo turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2017, 03:37 AM

The main issues were with the first versions they came out that used the AA batteries.

Anyway there's a couple of small switches on the inside which control which pickups are on. You can try flipping those.

Though I think there might be another issue. First make sure all of his knobs are not all the way up full. If they are basically your boosting volume, bass, and treble all the way up. Especially that treble knob up all the way would make whatever noise is there be extremely amplified.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll check the switches and eq knobs. He just lost his job, so I don't think sending it off to Taylor will be an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification