The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLin View Post
Well congrats! I always regretted selling my Custom 22...
Thanks Jim (and all) ... the only "problem" now is, I am beginning to think of my next PRS ... I am sure none of you all have any idea what that is like ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM

I own 3 a 1999 CU22 Soapy, 2005 CU 22 Artist Package and 2008 Hollowbody Spruce. All three are great. The Hollowbody is really special. Amazing tone. I had an early singlecut. It did nothing for me so I sold it.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
Thanks Jim (and all) ... the only "problem" now is, I am beginning to think of my next PRS ... I am sure none of you all have any idea what that is like ...
I found the PRS that I am going to buy as soon as I can get funds gather for it. PRS P22. When I plugged it into a Genz Benz LT150 acoustic amp and ran out of just piezo I had people from other rooms think I was playing an acutal acoustic through it. And through a Mesa amp amd 4-12 cab sound awesome too with the electric pick ups. IMO this thing is WAY more a swiss army knife than a Taylor T5 of which every time I play one I come away disappointed.

this is a pic of the actual one I played. I love the black gold wrap around finish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1V3SazdRzI
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM

I really like PRS guitars. I'd like to try a hollowbody one of these days. I own two right now but actually thinking about unloading one.

Cu24 Artist

Quilts by sage972003, on Flickr

ScTrem Artist

ScTrem-2 by sage972003, on Flickr
Old 09-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
I found the PRS that I am going to buy as soon as I can get funds gather for it. PRS P22.
Yes! I have been researching the P22, watching video demos and hoping to be able to test drive one really soon. The versatility would be great for the stuff I play. Gathering funds is the hard part ... I may have to sell a couple of things to get serious about a P22 acquisition. Let me know how your travels go in regards to obtaining a P22.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:25 AM

I just picked up my first PRS in a trade last week and WOW, what a guitar. It is an SE Semi Hollow Body and it sounds fantastic! I have never played the USA made models so I can only imagine that they are incredible. I've been looking for the right electric for a while. I had a Gibson Les Paul and a custom built Telecaster, but like this PRS much better than both.

I am a new PRS fan for sure.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
Yes! I have been researching the P22, watching video demos and hoping to be able to test drive one really soon. The versatility would be great for the stuff I play. Gathering funds is the hard part ... I may have to sell a couple of things to get serious about a P22 acquisition. Let me know how your travels go in regards to obtaining a P22.
the videos were what first got me interested. Then I tried one in person. Any video I have heard does not do the piezo on this justice. when I played though the acoustic amp it was VERY convincing! Also I contacted PRS about the guitars ability to send a signal through a DI then into snake to a board. Would it need an outboard preamp. They told me NO it will go thouh a PASSIVE DI just fine and feed a snake to board no problem. A Taylor T5 will NOT do that. Also a Taylor T5 can NOT run both acoustic and electric tones at same time! Plus they are not anywhere the quality of the PRS.

I play on a worship team every week and this guitar is like a dream guitar! I would not have to drag my 816CE to church any more and no sore fingers after LOOONG worship sessions! OH BTW these guitar can rock out just fine too

I will be letting my 2011 Les Paul studio go though. as Much as I would like I can not keep both! ( hmm maybe I could sell my boys prs SE245 and give him the LP! -- it is a very nice LP. have had several comments on the tone and playabiltiy-- I think I actually got a GOOD one)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
when I played though the acoustic amp it was VERY convincing!
great ... I look forward to some test driving soon ... our local GC has a couple in stock ...

Quote:
Also I contacted PRS about the guitars ability to send a signal through a DI then into snake to a board. Would it need an outboard preamp. They told me NO it will go thouh a PASSIVE DI just fine and feed a snake to board no problem. A Taylor T5 will NOT do that. Also a Taylor T5 can NOT run both acoustic and electric tones at same time! Plus they are not anywhere the quality of the PRS.
Very good to know ... and yeah the blending of the acoustic and electric tones is a great feature ...

Quote:
on a worship team every week and this guitar is like a dream guitar! I would not have to drag my 816CE to church any more and no sore fingers after LOOONG worship sessions! OH BTW these guitar can rock out just fine too
Excellent. I am just (re)starting to play out again after several years away from it all ... I play both acoustic and electric and would like to have a quitar that could cover the range w/o having to pack so much gear.

Quote:
be letting my 2011 Les Paul studio go though. as Much as I would like I can not keep both! ( hmm maybe I could sell my boys prs SE245 and give him the LP! -- it is a very nice LP. have had several comments on the tone and playabiltiy-- I think I actually got a GOOD one)
Hope you can keep it in the family. I may be working a similar "deal". I have 3 sons. The 2 older ones play very well. One has expressed interest in buying my LP and the other may be interested in my current PRS. I might be able to keep these fine guitars in the family and offer them with "family discounts" ...

-- Play on!!
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM

I've had PRS, including Private Stock and after playing a Nik Huber I sold them all. Hubers are unreal.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
I've had PRS, including Private Stock and after playing a Nik Huber I sold them all. Hubers are unreal.
Well Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah for you and your Huber.

PRS guitars are amazing....plain and simple. Congrats on the sweet new axe Scriptor. Play the snot out of it.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlung View Post
Well Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah for you and your Huber.

PRS guitars are amazing....plain and simple. Congrats on the sweet new axe Scriptor. Play the snot out of it.
I take it you have never played one.

I had the same reaction when I first came on this board. I had only played Taylor's and Martins and these guys were raving about Olsons, Ryans, Goodalls, etc, etc. Until I tried them I never really know how good they are and how much I was missing. The trouble with only being able to go to Guitar Center and other stores than only carry big production brand guitars.

Until you play them you won't know. Doesn't mean PRS is good, heck I bought a bunch. It's just that these are that much better to my ears.

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 10-01-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

I love my PRS. It took a lot of penny pinching to save up for the Custom 22, but if you're looking for a guitar that sounds/plays like a dream and will last you a lifetime, it's well worth it. Oh, and did I mention they look like a million bucks??
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM

I think PRS are great guitars.

I have a McCarty Korina w/ Brazillian fretboard and a Hiland. I swapped out the Hiland pups with SD P-Rails that allow me to have the P-90 sound AND the HB both. I took the tone knob and replaced it with a push-pull to activeate the HB. I then wired for two volume controls instead of tone and volume. I ended up with a ton of flexability and by setting the volumes to different levels with both pups on there are lots of sound choices.

If you have not had a chance to try a PRS with an IRW NECK (not fingerboard) try it and prepared for something totally different. Not for everyone, but really a jewel to play.

Lastly, the SE line is great for what it is. I would pass on anthing Gibson in their lower lines for the SE. I came close to buying an SE One (P-90) and thought the only Gibson that sounded close was the BJ Armstrong model at 2.5X the cost.

For those of us who have owned mostly Fenders they are a different creature by a bunch, but I like the differences.

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 AM

I've got an eye on some of the Stripped '58 singlecuts Wildwood has on their website. I love Les Pauls, but the stuff Gibson is doing to them now is irritating to me. Chambering? Weight relief? No thanks. If I wanted that I'd buy an ES.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I've got an eye on some of the Stripped '58 singlecuts Wildwood has on their website. I love Les Pauls, but the stuff Gibson is doing to them now is irritating to me. Chambering? Weight relief? No thanks. If I wanted that I'd buy an ES.
Chambered has been common with Les Paul's since the 80's. I wouldn't consider that to be "the stuff Gibson is doing to them now".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars