The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM

Default Testing the waters

Two noob questions regarding a potential 00 project.

1. Is 31" raw long enough for sides on a 00?
2. I need a recommendation for a builder, possibly someone up-and-coming, that will work with some back/side wood that I have. Reasonably long story but I have some wood that has great meaning to me (it was a gift from friends in Central America) that I'd like to use. I understand this may create issues and need input on what those might be.

Any input and direction will be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 AM

31" is long enough. You can even get a dread side out of 31" if you're careful.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 AM

31" is cutting it close, depending on the wood. If the wood has been well handled and has no checking on the ends, it's very possible. There are also some ways to cheat. A wider end graft can make up for a bit. My guitars have a pocket for the heel for my adjustable neck and that shortens the sides by another 1/2". It's also possible to add binding around the heel to gain another 1/4", assuming you have enough glueing surface left on your heel block.

I don't consider myself "up-and-coming" but I'd certainly be willing to talk about it. I assume most sponsors here would at least be willing to take a look.

Good luck.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks. Kent, the wood was well dried and so far has no end checking, but the end cuts are not perfect. The 31" piece I have is about 10" wide so it'd have to be ripped, and my back pieces are 30"x ~9 1/4". All are 3/8 thick at this point.

We can discuss more offline.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:15 PM

I'd say for an 00, 31" is plenty. I've gotten away with 29 1/2 on one of my 00's and had a normal size end graft, so it's definitely possible. I'd like to see some pics of it though. You may be able to get 2 sets out of it if it is carefully resawn as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Hadn't thought about it but it's probably thick enough for two sets if someone had the right setup to saw it carefully.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Sorry, I misread the first post as "raw log" as opposed to "raw long". In log form, it's rare that the full length is usable. If it's already sawn, dry, and the ends are good, 31" is plenty long.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop