The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Wow. This thread began and died in 2011. I am amazed someone found it four years later...
AGF's search function is awesome

I don't have much experience with Taylor electrics except about 5 years ago a friend used one in a band I played in. He loved it, and it sounded great - I remember it was pretty meaty sounding, similar to a good Les Paul. Of course, like many electric guitar guys, he has a lot of effects wired in.

Moved thread from General
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
Goldenbird:

Try one and you just may be one of those elusive Taylor SB customers.
So elusive, in fact, that they eluded even the Unofficial Taylor Forum. I opened a thread twice there some years ago when I was interested in Taylor electric guitars. Among the faithful, I think there was only one person who actually had one. All the rest muttered their guilty excuses as to why, basically, they weren't interested in their master's electric offerings, or tried to shift the conversation over to the T5. Many had Gibsons and Fenders in their stables. Whoever bought (buys?) Taylor's electric stuff did/does not seem to be part of the middle-aged/elderly male guitar forum sector.

I think Taylor may have learned a tough lesson over its electric guitars, especially the SBs; that even your loyal fan base may not want you to innovate once it is happy with a certain product. Just because Taylor fans loved the '12 and '14 series electric acoustics did not mean that they would gobble up electric guitars or new concoctions like the Grand Orchestra. It was interesting that Taylor's biggest move in the last few years has been the re-vamping of the 814 and the 614, followed by a huge fanfare in Wood and Steel. Was Taylor realizing that this was where the bucks were, that they'd better appreciate it, and that their newer, more ambitious projects were largely wasted on its fan base?

Last edited by ewalling; 10-26-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I missed this thread originally. Time to show my SB2 again! It isn't going anywhere. I don't own a Taylor acoustic and have many electrics. This one is stellar. -- Darwin
Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpf View Post
My local guitar shop has two Taylor solid body classics for $399 a piece. They both play great. I know Taylor has great service but would these be a good long term purchase?

I would appreciate any suggestions. (I'm in the U.S.)
Where's your shop? I'd take one of those off their hands!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
Where's your shop? I'd take one of those off their hands!
I'll take the other!

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Although a resurrected zombie thread, I'll comment:

Some makers just can't break the stigma of the marketplace. Martin tried to break into the electric market and abandoned it. PRS simply cannot make any serious headway into the acoustic market.

It's a lot about biases and market notions.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-26-2015, 10:08 AM

It's interesting to read some of the responses to this zombie thread. Hindsight is 50/50. At that price you can't go wrong with that guitar unless it's a mess and needs work.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
They are great guitars!!. I'd snap one up for that price. It probably won't appreciate but it'd be a good guitar.
I agree with this. When you (not you, fishstick) say "long-term purchase", I fear you may be thinking in terms of investment or appreciation, which is clearly not the case or you couldn't get them for $399. For players? Heck yeah.

My psuedo-informed opinion on these guitars (I did watch quite closely when they came out, watched them hit with a dull thud then slide into obscurity) was that Taylor basically tried to reinvent the electric guitar but, unlike Ken Parker, didn't go far enough. So, you had familiar shapes, colors, woods etc but with very different hardware and some other appointments; the looks were not enough to attract, the differences were stark enough to repel. Hated to see it, really.

The key: I never heard anyone say they did not play well or sound good, in fact quite the opposite, so getting one for $399 is a no brainer if you need a guitar.

For the record, I like zombie threads.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

For the record, I have never seen a Taylor or Collings electric guitar in person, and I frankly doubt they truly exist...

They are the Lock Ness Monster and Sasquatch of the guitar world...Rumored to be formidable, but only ever seen in photographs.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-26-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Since they still build the T3 and the T5, I'd believe they would still service the SB's.
Take good care of that bridge since TMK they're made of pressed powdered aluminum, they're rather fragile, and I was informed by the tech who replaced mine that I got the last one Taylor had in its parts bin; beautiful guitars - I've got the walnut Custom Solid - but if I had it to do all over again I'd go with a T3...
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpf View Post
My local guitar shop has two Taylor solid body classics for $399 a piece. They both play great. I know Taylor has great service but would these be a good long term purchase?

I would appreciate any suggestions. (I'm in the U.S.)
Could you please give me the phone number to that guitar shop? I’m interested in possibly buying one of those Taylor Solid Body guitars.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

May have posted this earlier in this thread, or perhaps on one that is similar. I had a Taylor SB with the walnut top. It was gorgeous. Sounded fantastic. The cleans were beautiful, and with crunch it was killer, with enough beef to fight off the other double HB guitars and enough clarity to cut through. I was just uncomfortable on the neck. There was something in the combination of thickness, width, radius, or something that just didn't work for me. The high E-string cut into the first joint on my index finger. It was painful. And I was really disappointed because I loved the tones the guitar gave off.

And as far as Collings electrics, had the chance to listen to and play a City Limits. Holy cow!! Another beast, but I can't spend that kind of money without selling a bunch of stuff first. Absolutely fantastic guitars, especially with the Lollar pickups.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-28-2015, 09:02 PM

I was about to buy a Taylor SB after I purchased my T5. I picked up a T3/B since I thought both would get discontinued. I was half right. I still have the T5 and T3/B. I picked up another T3/B and installed Lollartrons and a Stellartone.

The Taylor neck works with my hands for whatever reason. I kind of wish I would have picked up an SB of some sort.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
here is mine
(...)
(...)
(...)
Love the satin finish.plays like a dream and I don`t need a chiropractor after playing it for long periods like some other tanks! has an acoustic ring that no other electric I have owned has had.
This is a beautiful guitar, thank you for posting. I've had my Taylor T5 Standard for years and I love it. I paid $1400 for the 2005 model in 2009. Of course all I've ever bought were cheap electric guitars, so this is obviously a big step forward. I just like the Taylor brand. Sure, if I could afford the more expensive brands, I'd have a Gibson and PRS in my arsenal. Alas, I have not seen that kind of money yet.
2005 Taylor T5 S1
2020 Gretsch G5420T
2019 Supro Bowie Limited Edition
1986 Ovation Ultra 12 String
2018 Alvarez Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary
2013 Ibanez A-Style Mandolin
2009 Dexter DSO-120QE-N 6 String
2002 Dean Classical
1999 Squire Electric
2002 Epiphone SG Special
Misc 6 string electrics
PitBull Telecaster kit
Old 11-03-2015, 12:55 PM

I played exactly one (1) Taylor solid-body, single cutout electric that I found on the wall at a used shop by my house. Its looks were unimpressive, maybe even a little ugly, but it played so well and sounded so good that I came back the next day to buy it. It was gone. The owner laughed and said that there was no way it was going to stay not the wall for long at the price he set. My loss.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars