The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Audio Technica AT4033

I am getting the home recording bug (again) and starting re-assemble some recording gear. I already have a Yamaha AW1600 multitrack recorder, ART MPA Gold mic preamp and various condenser microphones.

I sold my nicer large diaphragm mics several years ago when I lost the home recording bug. Now I want to purchase another, specifically for vocals.

Of the mics I had, I really liked the Audio Technica AT4033. Before I order another one, I thought I'd ask the home recording buffs here, as well as the more experienced sound engineers, what other (vocal, condenser) mics you might suggest in the same quality and price range. I'm willing to spend in the $400 to $600 range.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM

I have two AT4033SE's (Special Edition) mics. I not only use them for vocals occasionally, but for recording acoustic guitar almost exclusively. I haven't been happy with small condensor mics for this. The AT4033's provide a big, wide range sound in X-Y pattern. An AT4033 is in your price range.

For vocals, I started using a Neumann TLM103. This is probably out of your price range. But, the AT4033's do a great job for vocals.

Good luck and happy recording.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

I find multi-pattern mics to be very useful, especially switchable LDs that offer the figure 8 pattern. The AT4050 is a very well respected mic that fits your price range and probably has a family resemblance to the 4033.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
...Of the mics I had, I really liked the Audio Technica AT4033. Before I order another one, I thought I'd ask the home recording buffs here, as well as the more experienced sound engineers, what other (vocal, condenser) mics you might suggest in the same quality and price range. I'm willing to spend in the $400 to $600 range.
Hi Livingston…
I own an AT4033, and several other large diaphragm mics. It was my first decent large diaphragm mic.

I have to admit, I prefer the sound of both the Shure KSM series (I own a KSM44) and the AKG 414 series better. I like the Rode NT-2A better too.

The AT4033 is a solid performer but dated technology, and I find both the Shure KSM and AKG 414 more flexible and providing more detail to recordings.

Of course the 414 and KSM have more features too (adjustable polar patterns), but they also gave me better recordings. AT provides the same expanded options in the form of the 4050...which is like a multi-pattern 4033.

If I just wanted a good large diaphragm cardioid mic, without adjustable patterns, not sure what I'd pick these days...perhaps the NT-1.

Since I've become accustomed to switchable polar patterns, I'd be hard pressed not to have a mic with them. Some of the Rode NT-2 recordings I have heard are really nice...for approx the same money as the 4033.

Just my couple of cents worth...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-11-2010, 03:29 PM

Great feedback friends. Thanks a million for taking the time.

It sounds like I am not too far off with the AT4033 but now you've got my curiosity with your suggestions for alternative choices. The great things about mics is you can't have too many in your cabinet.

I've always wondered about the C414 although if memory serves, it may be well out of the range I've set for myself. I've also wondered about the Shure KSM44.

Lots of great food for thought. Thanks everyone.

Darryl
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM

I have a KSM44. I like it. I don't hear a huge difference between it and a CAD M179. But my ears are poor discriminators.

You can check some clips for comparison here: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...ur-more-clips/

These are carefully level matched, single performance, matched preamp recordings. One of the mics costs over $1500, one costs about $150, the KSM44 is in between. Two are LD condensers, two are SD. How much difference do you hear?

There's a pair of Rode NT2000s for sale here on the AGF that would get you two mics for your budget. These are terrific variable pattern LDs. I like my Rode NT2x mics as much as my KSM44. With these mics you can do Blumlein, M/S with every possible M pattern, x/y with every variety of cardioid. Big fun, very instructive, and you just might get a recording you like out of it.

The AKG 414xx represents a huge variety of mics, from the classic handmade units with the CK12 capsule to the latest digitally controlled versions. They basically share an external appearance and not much else. You should be sure to do a lot of research to determine what you want and what you're getting if you're shopping for one of these.

Fran
Old 02-11-2010, 08:16 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the AT4033 on vocals. I actually sold my 4033 in favor of the 4050 (I have 3 of those). But I don't really like those for vocals either. They make great room mics and drum overheads. I even like them on some stringed instruments.

For vocals, if you have a good preamp, my choice is a Shure SM7b (not the 57, just the 7b). It's a well guarded studio secret that a lot of vocals are cut on that mic. It needs a preamp with a good 60dB of clean gain, but if you have that the results are stellar.

The SM7b made a big splash when it was leaked that Michael Jackson recorded all the vocals on his Thriller album on one.

All the other mics that I would suggest for vocals are much more expensive - but are much better suited for vocals (U47/67/87, TLM193, C12, ELAM 251). Vocals really bring out all the warts of a cheap condenser. I would either go with the SM7b or save up and get a nice condenser mic that will last several lifetimes.

Just my $0.02

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-11-2010, 09:22 PM

I have the less expensive AT-4040 and have noticed it has audibly lower noise than some other Audio-Technica mics I have when gain adjusted to compensate for differing sensitivities (looks like about 5dB S/N improvement over the 4033 per spec sheet).

Modern digital recording reveals subtle things such as this that were heretofore undetectable. Even the venerable German warhorses of yesteryear can come up short in this regard (not to say that they don't have other redeeming qualities).

Last edited by endpin; 02-11-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:25 AM

Wow...thanks again. Great info. Only problem is, now I want to spend more money.

Have to get to the music store this weekend. I will post my mic acquisition as soon as I figure this whole thing out.

Thanks again for all the great feedback.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Eric Skye

I don’t sing, but I’ve always thought the AT4050 is a great, reasonably priced Swiss army knife LD. I’ve used on the guitar for all three of my CDS
Old 02-13-2010, 09:19 AM

Fran,

I was finally able to listen to your clips. That is pretty neat listening to the nuances of each mic. Unfortunately, my speakers on my computer are not that great. Nonetheless, I can here some subtle differences.

Thank you for posting the link.

Darryl
Old 02-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Fran,

I was finally able to listen to your clips. That is pretty neat listening to the nuances of each mic. Unfortunately, my speakers on my computer are not that great. Nonetheless, I can here some subtle differences.

Thank you for posting the link.

Darryl
Let me suggest that you do yourself a big favor and use foobar2000 to do some ABX testing. The human auditory system is very very good at fooling us humans. It's hard to appreciate just how much our ears fool us unless you do some careful testing.

Fran
Old 02-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
I find multi-pattern mics to be very useful, especially switchable LDs that offer the figure 8 pattern. The AT4050 is a very well respected mic that fits your price range and probably has a family resemblance to the 4033.

Fran
The 4050 is identical to the 4033 except for the addition of multiple patterns. I'm a fan of both... and have found them to be extremely versatile and warm.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 02-20-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
It needs a preamp with a good 60dB of clean gain, but if you have that the results are stellar.

Vocals really bring out all the warts of a cheap condenser.
And a good condenser brings out all the warts of a bad vocal

Can you recommend a good pre amp for me to use with my Rode NT2? My vocals need all the help they can get.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 02-24-2010, 07:29 PM
Eric Skye

Just thought I'd mention that my AT4050 is the classifieds pretty cheap

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD