The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Default tommy emmanuel "only"

i'm getting inspired to concentrate more on my guitar playing after seeing joost (jazzman, inc) in youtube playing his ryan nightingale. ordered a tommy emmanuel cd titled "only" and transcription on amazon, should be here by saturday. anyone here who knows how to play his music? i'm a pretty good rhythm player using a flatpick but haven't really tried fingerpicking. any advice other than don't get my hopes up learning the songs?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't have the most nimbliest of fingers, so take it from there, but his songs are on the tough side. Mombasa is the easiest one in that book, at least it was for me. There's one or two songs in it that he plays with a flatpick.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Ok, I won't tell you not to get your hopes up since you requested it; but TE is pretty amazing. The great (and also not so great) thing about all his songs is that they are all in Standard or Dropped D tuning. The not so great part of it is that he's often (but not always) playing these otherworldly chords that are pretty amazing. He makes it look so darn easy when you watch him; but it's a different story when you try to duplicate what he's doing.

But this isn't stopping me either. I've been playing for close to 42 years; but other than Blues tunes, just got into other fingerpicking stuff several years ago. I've been working on "Those Who Wait" from the ONLY CD for at least six months; and so far I have just the first half of the first verse figured out. I've also been working on another one of his called "Angelina" with about the same results. I've also heard that "Mombasa" is easier than many of his other ones; but haven't checked it out yet.

But having said all that, I'll also tell you that working on his stuff has made me a better player overall (not that I was a lousy player). Working on his songs has opened my eyes - and ears - up to a few things I hadn't thought of before. Also working on some of his songs makes you appreciate even more what a great player he is. So keep at it and just remember to have fun.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Hi Tman197...
Don't ever let folks tell you not to get your hopes up or that you can/cannot play things. Inspiration leads to growth.

If Tommy's stuff is a bit out of reach, back up and learn from some more basic instructors/inspirers like Mark Hanson (accentonmusic dot com).

None of us when we began could play this stuff...many of us now do.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-24-2009, 06:37 PM

great advices here. thanks! i guess like TE says, "those who wait"...

Last edited by taylorman197; 10-24-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: none
Old 10-25-2009, 12:09 AM
The Foreigner

I am glad that there are so many songs that I cannot (yet) play. The guitar would be so boring otherwise!
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorman197 View Post
i'm getting inspired to concentrate more on my guitar playing after seeing joost (jazzman, inc) in youtube playing his ryan nightingale. ordered a tommy emmanuel cd titled "only" and transcription on amazon, should be here by saturday. anyone here who knows how to play his music? i'm a pretty good rhythm player using a flatpick but haven't really tried fingerpicking. any advice other than don't get my hopes up learning the songs?
Try learning Tommy's version of Billy Joel's.."And So It Goes"...it's really not that difficult to play. I am a huge Tommy fan...if you ever get the chance to see him live, by all means go. He really is a great guitarist and a wonderful performer. I found a tab for this song on his web site.. they have some great tabs there from a lot of the forum members.

Best wishes..tommy is inspiring..good luck.

www.tommyemmanuel.com
Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Hello there, I have been trying to learn TE tunes for 1 year now, I have the tab book you mentioned, TE also got two others tab books "Mystery" and "Endless Road" which are the transcription for his CDs. I would like to recommend his tutorial "Emmanuel Labour" DVD to you - he explained and slow down some of the tunes in "Only" (And others tunes) - from memory "Those who wait", "Mombasa" and "Drivetime" are included.

Cheers
AER Domino 2
TC Electronic G Natural
Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Just like with anything else, if you're determined enough, you can do it. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:12 AM

I have "those who wait" down pretty good now. When I first started to learn it I thought no way can I do this but I practised feverishly. I also used some lessons from youtube to help to, along with the tab book this young guy's videos are quite helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV7Dk5Ri1XU
Old 10-27-2009, 05:40 PM

wasn't able to practice this weekend. my 4 year old kept me busy. nice advices here though. i'll check the video links when i get the chance, thanks to all. seems like there are a lot of TE fans here in AGF. i'm new here, it's a nice forum...
Old 10-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What you could focus on is how Tommy plays his songs as a guide and you'll find that doing certain passages your way, while preserving the essence of his work, will make your rendition more personal and you may be able to do it easier too. Just a suggestion.

Regards,

Sprucetop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-28-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:06 PM

The TE DVD that really helped me a lot is "Up Close". He has a good variety of TE styles including some of the old traditional fingerpicking such as Freight Train, Bye Bye Blackbird, & Who's Sorry Now.

Hope it helps...... good luck.

(Oh yeah, check out his version of Imagine by John Lennon. Great song and one of the easier ones to play by him that I've found)
Ephiphone Emperor
Seagull S6
old, old, old Harmony Archtop
old, old, old Yamaha 12 string
Old 10-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I can't find my TE Only tab book. This thread got me interested in taking another shot at some of his songs. I'll find it. It has to be around somewhere, LOL.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge View Post
this young guy's videos are quite helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV7Dk5Ri1XU
OT : Yes, this young fellow is a real talent. But....am I correct in perceiving that his fingers are also like 4 times longer than any other human being's?

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write