The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post

The main thrust of all of the above is “separation.” Each instrument needs to find its own space within the sound spectrum. It’s not unlike harmony parts assigned to vocals (and backup singers aren't singing all of the time). Loss of clarity over time equals loss of interest

The fact that you’ve got players who play both acoustic and electric, as well as a slide guitar, makes me think they’re already pretty good at the principles stated above. The rest of this post really only applies if that’s an incorrect assumption. If it is:

1) Have a short speech prepared outlining the concepts above, stressing the fact that it’s not essential everyone plays all the time.

2) Have a couple of songs already arranged ahead of time which will illustrate the concepts.

3) The simplest approach is the suggestion to double the acoustic guitar with the 2nd guitar capo’d (ideally 5th fret or higher). Record yourself beforehand and then play along with your recording, experimenting with various capo’d positions. If the 2nd guitarist can’t transpose on the fly – one of my weaknesses – have music prepared in two keys.

4) Do a song with 2 electrics, but have the acoustic guitar do an interesting intro. He may drop out completely the rest of the song (or reprise his part as an outro).

5) I’m not sure how the slide fits in, but for ideas go check out Dylan’s live show. His band is set up much like yours (with keyboards thrown in for good measure). For the past couple of years, besides drums and bass, his band has been:

a) Dylan (keyboard) Never picked up a guitar.
b) Acoustic & electric
c) Lead electric guitar
d) Multi-instrumentalist (slide, fiddle, mandolin, and probably a few more I’ve forgotten).

Sounds like fun.

geokie8

Some more great stuff on the topic. Thanks. I took the liberty of highlighting some of your points that really hit home.

You also hit on a strength and weakness of our little band of merry men. For the kind of music we play, the pedal steel is a wonderful luxury. But it's not a fit on every song and it's tough to ask him to sit there and not play. (although I do, sometimes) He's got keyboards in his background and it would be great if he participated as more of a 'multi-instrumentalist.' I believe the magic with an 'exotic' instrument like the slide steel is economy.

Thanks again!

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write