The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 AM

Default $299 closeout-fender paramount all solid travel hog NOW WITH REVIEW

took at a chance on this closeout...I think guitar center are still selling these at around $600 on thier site
read the reviews on the ams site.

https://www.americanmusical.com/Item...QaAj5LEALw_wcB

guitar player review
https://www.guitarplayer.com/frets/r...d-travel-pm-te

impulse buy....will report later on my views after i get it. ZZounds has same deal.

all solid woods, mahogany, quality pickup system, delux hard case, 23.5 scale, cool classy looking retro fender headstock logo, ( that sold me ) shipped and 45 day inspection period.
for $299??? How can ya pass that up?

I know these paramounts get mix bag review but 299 shipped with those specs and she is a looker.....why not bite i thought.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 06-13-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Terrific deal! Wait till you see the case it has. To get an all-solid guitar with case and pickup at that price is a real score.

Hope it sounds and feels as good for you as my PM-2 does for me.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 06-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

That seems like a no brainer. If I didn’t have my Ibanez parlor I’d be all over this.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 AM

Man, if that had a 24.75 scale one would be on the way. I am leary, because my 1960 Fender Musicmaster has a 22.5" scale, and my fairly large fingers find it cramped.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM

I bought one to leave in Florida. Unfortunately I won’t get to play it until July 2. It arrives at a friend’s house tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Wow. The reviews are stellar. I have seen a few other references to Fender small body guitars, mostly parlors, that were favorable. Could this be the beginning of a change in attitude towards this brand by AGF members?

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:54 PM

yOK.........I just Got it....I am original poster
played for about an hour...

my initial thoughts when i first handled it, this is a pretty small, thin, very light weight instrument.

1. High quality
Bindings, fretboard (look at that nicely bounded fretboard ......and headstock shape reminded me very much like the Larrivee P-03 i use to have) saddle, overall finish, logos, inlay, all very well fitted and quite attractive...love the classy semi open pore finish..actually the overall appearance of whole guitar was very p -03 series larriveeish to me ....just my impression, a poor mans 7/8 size p-03? with a fishman pickup...anyway
HSC is 1st class ... EVEN comes with a humidifyer tube and of course a truss rod tool......
but......I think a smaller quality padded gig bag would have been a better fit for this size travel guitar than the hard case.

2. feels SUPER light weight, like a feather. Is that good or bad? you decide

3. Size.....comparison to a taylor gs mini

TAYLOR GS MINI ...........................Paramount travel
laminate -solid top".".......................100 percent solid wood
nut. 1 11/16....................................same
* Scale Length: 23-1/2"...................... same
* Body Length: 17-5/8"...................... 17
* Body Width: 14-3/8"........................ 14
* Body Depth: 4-7/16"......................... 3- 3/4. ( much thinner)
The FenderParamount is a slighty smaller guitar and noticeably thinner.

4. Playability.....I was quite pleased....action is surprising 2.o mm at 12 th fret.
thats low. I tweeked the truss rod just a bit to my liking... My particular instrument had no buzz..and was very easy to fret and play general.

5.Sound.Acoustic......Actually quite pleased with volume from this litte guy. Still has the fender strings on it. Going to put it on tonerite for a few days and change strings...other than that, will make no comments on tone as I wear two hearing aids and that will affect my impression which may not be fair to the instrument.

Electric amp sound...cannot comment...my amp cord broke. need to get a new one. But supposedly, this is its strong point, the pickup system.

Overall,

very well made, quite pretty and easy to play with nice guitar voice. a little smaller than a gs mini, but i think much classier...
The GS mini is great ....but you know its a travel guitar...this is like an expensive quitar that was tiny sized..

Quality...high in spades, cuteness factor, a 10.

Downs......MAY be too small for some players....size wise and scale lenth..if they find playing a gs mini too small......this may not be for them...

conclusion..The Gs Mini “MAY” sound better and fuller because its a bigger guitar and a deeper width guitar..I cannot determine that ...... but everyone and thier grandma has one..and they are pretty plain.
But this little paramount is eye candy, a more refined looking guitar....more like a high end mini guitar...than a travel guitar...with some really nice upscale embelishments and nice features...beautiful binding and rossette, awesome inlay head stock, bone nut and saddle, ebony and pearl bridge pin set, great pickup system with on board tuner, beautiful nickel tuners...attractive wood...and plays great...
.for $299 shipped with a plush lined classy beautiful hsc ......with looks like a larrivee p-03...

so you choose, there is this travel guitar for almost the same money
https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAT-11GCBC

or this Solid wood Paramount Travel

which one do you want to spend your money on?

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 06-14-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 PM

Congratulations. So far this jives with the descriptions of other Fender Paramounts i’ve read.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

That just looks like a neat guitar to have sitting out for inspiration. Nice purchase.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 06-13-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
OK.........I just Got it....I am original poster
played for about an hour...

my initial thoughts

1. High quality
Bindings, fretboard (look at that nicely bounded fretboard ......and headstock shape reminded me very much like the Larrivee P-03 i use to have) saddle, overall finish, logos, inlay, all very well fitted and quite attractive...love the classy semi open pore finish..actually the overall appearance of whole guitar was very p -03 series larriveeish to me ....just my impression, a poor mans p-03? with a fishman pickup...anyway
HSC is 1st class ... EVEN comes with a humidifyer tube and of course a truss rod tool......
but......I think a smaller quality padded gig bag would have been a better fit for this size travel guitar than the hard case.

2. feels SUPER light weight, like a feather. Is that good or bad? you decide

3. Size.....comparison to a taylor gs mini

TAYLOR GS MINI ...........................Paramount travel
laminate -solid top".".......................100 percent solid wood
nut. 1 11/16....................................same
* Scale Length: 23-1/2"...................... same
* Body Length: 17-5/8"...................... 17
* Body Width: 14-3/8"........................ 14
* Body Depth: 4-7/16"......................... 3- 3/4
The FenderParamount is a slighty smaller guitar and noticeably thinner.

4. Playability.....I was quite pleased....action is surprising 2.o mm at 12 th fret.
thats low. I tweeked the truss rod just a bit to my liking... My particular instrument had no buzz..and was very easy to fret and play general.

5.Sound.Acoustic......Actually quite pleased with volume from this litte guy. Still has the fender strings on it. Going to put it on tonerite for a few days and change strings....Based on its size, am assuming not huge bass ......but i need to experiment with strings...I found it pleasing finger picked or strummed....( disclosure, I also wear hearing aids, so what i hear may be an inaccurate assessment of its true voice..) ...

Electric amp sound...cannot comment...my amp cord broke. need to get a new one. But supposedly, this is its strong point, the pickup system.

Overall,

very well made, quite pretty and easy to play with nice guitar voice. a little smaller than a gs mini, but i think much classier...
The GS mini is great ....but you know its a travel guitar...this is like an expensive quitar that was tiny sized..

Quality...high in spades, cuteness factor, a 10.

Downs......MAY be too small for some players....size wise and scale lenth..if they find playing a gs mini too small......this may not be for them...

conclusion..The Gs Mini probably sounds better and fuller, is a more robust and stronger built travel guitar... but everyone and thier grandma has one..and they are pretty plain jane....but this little paramount is eye candy, a more refined looking guitar....more like a high end mini guitar...than a travel guitar...with some really nice upscale embelishments and nice features...beautiful binding and rossette, awesome inlay head stock, bone nut and saddle, ebony and pearl bridge pin set, great pickup system with on board tuner, beautiful nickel tuners...attractive wood...and plays great...
.for $299 shipped with a plush lined classy beautiful hsc ......with looks like a larrivee p-03...she is a keeper!
I've played one of these, more than once. Loved it. You are right - I felt it was very light, as well. I also felt I could dig into it with a pick and fingers. Good buy!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-14-2019, 05:50 AM

Ive got 1 of these arriving today. Now you've got me worried. Sound is the #1 factor for me. I don't care if everyone has 1. If the Taylor sounds better I'll get that. They're priced close enough for me. Looking at the Martin too but only 1 can stay as i have a 314ce and various other guitars, basses, keys, drum sets, and pa equipment.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this killer deal! Just ordered one to be shipped to my dad for father's day. Looks like a beautiful little guitar, (and I'll get to dink around with it when I go to visit.)

All ready have a 0015M at my place so can't really justify adding another puny hog to my own herd.

Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:05 AM

I like what Fender has been doing with acoustics lately. They may not be up there sonically with the big 3, they are improving, and they're getting the fun to play thing right.

That looks like a killer deal, but my guitar money and guitar space are tapped out. Congrats!
Old 06-14-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
Ive got 1 of these arriving today. Now you've got me worried. Sound is the #1 factor for me. I don't care if everyone has 1. If the Taylor sounds better I'll get that. They're priced close enough for me. Looking at the Martin too but only 1 can stay as i have a 314ce and various other guitars, basses, keys, drum sets, and pa equipment.
Retracted some of my comments on tone and sound, not qualified to comment,
have hearing loss and wearing hearing aids.

That said, I had a GS mini all hog and martin dred Jr, spruce top. They we both bigger guitars and 2x the cost of the paramount. The paramount is the nicest looking by a mile and it sounds fine for me, plays great....and will probably sound better with upgraded strings ....

just an example...to compare......look what $230 bucks buys you....
https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MAT-11GCBC

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 06-14-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitartanzon View Post
.....for $299??? How can ya pass that up?

I know these paramounts get mix bag review but 299 shipped with those specs and she is a looker.....why not bite i thought.
The price was right!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion