The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Mic + reverb = how?

Hoping that someone on this fine forum can give me some clear advice on an embarrassingly simple recording question. I'll break down the pertinent information before asking my question:

Equipment: Shure SM-48 mic straight into my Tascam DP-02CF eight-track recorder via XLR input. The DP-02CF provides phantom power to the mic.

Problem: The Tascam DP-02CF does NOT have any onboard effects, so every input needs to go through effects either on its way to the board, OR after recording using the "effects send" option and an external effects processor.

Question: What is the cheapest and easiest way to get reverb on my vocals? (I'm really hoping that there's a simple way to use some sort of reverb "pedal" and "add-on" phantom power to the mic that won't break the bank.)

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:18 PM

do you have a decent computer? because if you do, i'd just get a decent interface and download reaper. reaper is $60.00 but you get an extended trail period. plus, it has quite a few native plugins, reverbs included. the problem with your current setup is that to get the tracks off it and onto another medium, you'd be better served to just use a daw.

i'd go that route rather than looking for outboard gear at this point. either will will cost you about the same, and the daw option is far more versatile. but you do have to have the computer to start with.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
Equipment: Shure SM-48 mic straight into my Tascam DP-02CF eight-track recorder via XLR input. The DP-02CF provides phantom power to the mic.
Question: What is the cheapest and easiest way to get reverb on my vocals? (I'm really hoping that there's a simple way to use some sort of reverb "pedal" and "add-on" phantom power to the mic that won't break the bank.)

Thanks!
The SM48 is a dynamic mic and doesn't require phantom power.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Your recorder has built in effects. A quick peek at the manual should get you going...
Old 02-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The SM48 is a dynamic mic and doesn't require phantom power.
Whoa, news to me. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
Your recorder has built in effects. A quick peek at the manual should get you going...
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't have built-in effects. The DP-02 does--lots of them--but the DP-02CF does not.

I'm back to the reverb question, then. I have to say, I'm intrigued with the idea of recording everything dry and then mastering the wav file on my computer before converting the finished product to mp3. But I have even less of a clue about computer-based recording than I do using the equipment I currently have.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 PM

The cheapest way to get decent results would be to snag a used Alesis Microverb or Nanoverb off eBay. Those little boxes were built like tanks and last forever so there are plenty of them around and they are cheap. Hook one up using the effects send/return jacks. Not state-of-the-art by current standards but they are very usable.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:48 PM

If you have a Macinotsh computer, it comes with all the software you need (GarageBand)but since you mentioned the .wav file format you probably have a PC. In that case, all you need is a free program called Audacity which while not as easy to use as GarageBand is still fairly intuitive. It doesn't have reverb built-in to it but you can download a free reverb plug-in file that is compatible with it as well. The DP-02CF has a USB interface so it will plug directly into your computer to transfer your files from your recorder. Once the files have been transferred and imported into Audacity, it is a simple matter to add reverb or other effects.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_windows

I don't have a source for a free, Audacity compatible reverb plug-in but I'm sure another AGF member can suggest a good one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD