The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 AM

Default Ring finger picking problem

Dear fellow fingerpickers,

I have recently discovered that I have problem picking with my ring finger, I could not get a good sound from it.

I went through a period of time of putting thumb picks + 3 fingerpicks, and tried Alaska, Propik, and Frek Kelly freedom fingerpicks. And recently arrive in a conclusion that I may not need all fingers to wear fingerpicks to achieve the balance when I am playing with a thumb pick. I have then discovered, for my index and middle finger, I get a good sound playing with short nail and flesh, however I am not manage to get the same good sound with my ring finger.

The nails on the ring fingers are as short as others, I am curious, does ring finger’s fingernails need to be a bit longer than the others fingers? I discover I can’t really release the note with fingernail for ring finger when I pick, for the others I can sort of contact the string with my flesh first and release it with short nails – to my ear I am happy with the tone that I got.

I am waiting (Impatiently) for the ring fingernails to grow a bit longer and now wearing the Fred Kelly freedom fingerpick while playing. I wish I can take off the fingerpick.

Another question is, I read from others source that putting rubbing alcohol (or surgical spirit) will help to grow calluses. Did anyone here try that on the picking fingers pad?

Because of work I always travel and not able to find a teacher, I would really appreciate if you can provide some insight to me.

Thanks for your time!
AER Domino 2
TC Electronic G Natural
Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCK View Post
The nails on the ring fingers are as short as others, I am curious, does ring finger’s fingernails need to be a bit longer than the others fingers?
On my fingers, yes, but it may not apply to everyone. I too play with short nails, but I do not judge the length of my nails from "above". Rather, I like to have the nails just exceed the fingertips (about 1mm or so) when viewed from the *palm* side. Using this rule, the "white" portion is longest on my ring finger, followed by my middle and significantly less on my index (I keep the pink nail short too). Also, I shape the nails very slightly so that they are marginally longer on the thumb side. I find this gives me a more solid "grip" of the strings.

As for training the ring finger, perhaps a simple "pima" tremolo exercise would help? Try and get consistent volume and tone across the fingers.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write