The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Default Where to go from here..

Dear virtuosos,

I picked up guitar by myself a couple of years back. Was piano trained for a long time so all the theory was "transported" to guitar playing and i now play both guitar and piano. I have done strumming and some fingerstyling, but mostly it is just chords while others sing.

The question now is, where do I go from here? How can I learn to play fingerstyle with fuller and more intricate chords and better still how can I learn to play chords with the lead/melody line? Any ideas or material will be greatly appreciated (=

Thanks in advance! (=

NatX
Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM

anyone?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:28 PM

Hi NatX. Not a virtuosos here, but... You have many choices.

1. Start taking lessons. Visit some music stores and ask to speak with their instructors, and see if you can find one you like and that plays the music you want to learn.

2. There are tons of instructional materials on the the web. One of my favorite sites is: www.homespuntapes.com. They have materials for many different styles at all levels of expertise.

3. Or you could start trying to find people in your area who play fingerstyle and hang out with them. Go to your local music stores and ask around.

Good luck and keep us posted! Don't get discouraged. The journey is more than half the fun.

David
David's CDs
Old 10-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natx View Post
...How can I learn to play fingerstyle with fuller and more intricate chords and better still how can I learn to play chords with the lead/melody line?
Hi NX...
Look into teaching materials, teachers, DVDs or YouTube for the topic Chord Melody.

Some great sources are found at AcousticMusicResource dot com, HomespunTapes dot com, Netflix (Fred Sokolow's stuff) etc.

I own DVDs by Mark Hanson, John Carlini, Pete Huttlinger, Tommy Emmanuel, Pat Donohue, Al Petteway, Tuck Andress, Laurence Juber, Mike Dowling all devoted to the topic...

They have helped me immensly...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 PM

thank you so much for the input guys (= really appreciate it (= will work to see if i can find these here. West lafayette is quite a closed community =P it's just Purdue and a couple of shops and not having a car makes things worse will look into the online resources! thanks guys!!! (=
Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

nat,

re fingerstyle,

use utube to find a song you really want to learn,

pay to have it transcribed, request the person playing it send you the music, or otherwise get a copy of the exact arrangment. But the key is to have passion for the song.

Then teach yourself to play it one section at a time.

I never learned the basic chords, though most of them are apparent.

I went for fingerstyle songs I had a passion for. During the first year it was very hard. Now I've just finished year 4 and I have many songs under my belt and am working on about 25 songs. Some country blues, some celtic, some old time.

There is an exceptional website if you're into a little country blues type / old timey time of fingerstyle work. It's Eric's Lugosch. He provides the sheet music, and two recordings, and the history behind the music, and a few tips.

I love this site, and have learned a few of the songs. Some are quite challenging. At first they will all seem impossible, but keep working.

link provided.

http://www.ericlugosch.com/lessonhome.html

Candyman is a short, easier song.

I've also worked on Buckdancers choice, Eighth of January (great arrangement), Standing on the Outside (another great tune).

I've had a number of fingerstyle tunes transcribed from utube. That works well also. But sometimes you need a teacher to help you along, if they seem way over your head.

Either way, find songs you love, and then attack them. Don't focus on complicated chords. Focus on songs. The chord structures will work themselves out.

Stuart
Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Lessons are always nice but you could do worse than just learning a number of fingerstyle tunes from tabs.
Thousands of tabs here many of which are quite accurate (you will need PowerTabEditor)
http://www.tablibrary.com/index.php

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-23-2009, 08:10 PM
Get off my lawn kid

The problem I've found with fingerstyle is that you have to find pieces that are just right for your current skill set. Too easy and you'll get bored, too hard and you'll get bored even faster. Probably the best thing to do (and I should take my own advice) is to find some songs that are fairly easy to play so that you can get a good size library of songs under your fingers. Unfortunately the songs I like the best are way over my abilities - and it gets really boring trying to play something you can't after a while.

Mark Hanson's instructional books are a good place to start. He has a good library to choose from at www.accentonmusic.com

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-24-2009, 01:45 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Lessons are always nice but you could do worse than just learning a number of fingerstyle tunes from tabs.
Thousands of tabs here many of which are quite accurate (you will need PowerTabEditor)
Hi Rick, thanks for the link. I had not known of this site before.

One question, though. They claim to be "free and legal". How is that possible when they have more than 200 Beatles tabs among other things?

(EDIT: OK, did a bit of Googling to find out. Guess I was more than a little surprised that the copyright holders would allow it!)
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

Last edited by mmmaak; 10-24-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I certainly don't look for easy songs. I simply pick the songs that inspire. If it takes longer to learn, at least you have a song you want to play at the end of it.

Stuart
Old 10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
One question, though. They claim to be "free and legal". How is that possible when they have more than 200 Beatles tabs among other things?
it's simple, it may be free, but it's not legal. They just haven't gotten caught yet. Most of these sites try to get away with posting copyrighted material under the guise of "fair use" or "for study purposes". There is such a thing, but in the US at least, the law for fair use dictates 1) a small number of measures (I think it's 10 - or maybe it's 10% of the song, I forget), and 2) that the measures cannot constitute a complete performable unit, like an entire verse. That allows schools to provide a few bars for chord analysis, for example, but is not supposed to allow a tab site to post an entire tune, no matter how "educational" it may be.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Nice site ..... Thank you

Ray
Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
it's simple, it may be free, but it's not legal. They just haven't gotten caught yet....
Hi Doug,

So, it isn't after all? My Google search turned up some sites that mentioned they managed to obtain the RIAA's blessing or something like that. Also, isn't this the reincarnation of the huge Powertabs database that was shut down some time ago due to legal reasons? Perhaps nothing has changed and it's just a "rebranding"
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
My Google search turned up some sites that mentioned they managed to obtain the RIAA's blessing or something like that.
Hard to believe anyone would just give up publishing rights to Beatles tunes for free :-) Maybe the site is making money somehow and paying for it, but I'd doubt it. Here's the info the RIAA provides on legal sites. Note that they're all basically stores like amazon.

http://www.riaa.com/toolsforparents....al_music_sites

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write