The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Default Squeaky and Squeekier

Probably been asked many times before. So here I go....
Any cure for squeeky strings, or at least any way of dampening them?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM

There was a thread not long ago that had lots of good discussion. See if it comes up in a search.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdbrwn View Post
Probably been asked many times before. So here I go....
Any cure for squeeky strings, or at least any way of dampening them?
Hi db...
Not a simple answer because strings squeak for different reasons, and in differing amounts.

They can squeak if your fretting hand callus are in need of smoothing (with an emery board).

Some brands of strings just squeak more than others.

Some chirp but will benefit if you practice your technique, but there are valid techniques like slides, slide hammers, slurs, and pull offs which just produce more chirping.

Often if the callus plants on the winding of a string and is ''seated,'' so when you shift that finger to a new fret, the tip will break free of the slightly embedded windings and chirp unless you lift straight up (which is not always practical).

Hope you discover some answers...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 PM

Elixir nanowebs...

I hear poliwebs help more with the squeaks though...
Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 PM
The Foreigner

Here you go:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=1976855
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 10-11-2009, 09:07 AM

If string noise is really getting to you, and it does to some more than others, Elixir Polywebs do seem to quiet things down. Somehow, the polys seem to cut down on friction significantly; to me this is really evident when sliding from position to position, slides are smoother and quieter. Have you tried Elixir Polywebs? Some folks think they feel soapy and don't like them.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 AM

The really bad squeaks occur because your finger takes on the impression of the wound string that you are pressing. If you tend to maintain the exact finger angle when you slide the finger up or down the string, the noise is created by the "ratcheting" of the string windings with the finger's matching impression of the windings. To minimize squeaks you need to change your motion so you are moving smooth skin over the string's windings.

Try this:

Hold the 6th string down hard for a couple seconds and then slide up or down while holding the finger rigidly at the same angle, and note the (loud) squeak.

Next, fret the string the same way for the same duration, except roll or rotate the finger very slightly just before make the slide. This changes the string contact area on the finger to some fresh meat that hasn't molded to the string shape and the transition will be MUCH quieter.

This is no doubt well known to many, even if they never consciously think about the mechanics. I discovered it by accident while trying to deal with horrendous squeaks in slow, quiet passages.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Elixir Polywebs

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write