The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-02-2017, 06:55 AM

A lot of great suggestions - especially about trying to play as many examples of a builders work as possible and speaking with the builder.

Finding examples which you can play - and especially examples which are close to the configuration you are looking for - is difficult at best. Also, luthiers like doctors, chefs, artists, coders, etc. change over time. Some of this change relates to having better techniques, better tools, better materials, different building philosophies, getting over the learning curve, etc. Also, the builder may change what he/she is trying to accomplish with their instruments over time. This includes tone, playability, fit and finish, durability and ease of repair/adjustment. The reality is that examples of a builders work from 3 or 5 or 10 years ago may be much different from what they are currently building.

You can learn much from speaking with the builders. They can give insight as to what they are currently building and if they can and are willing to do what you are looking for.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshrager View Post
A lot of great suggestions - especially about trying to play as many examples of a builders work as possible and speaking with the builder.

Finding examples which you can play - and especially examples which are close to the configuration you are looking for - is difficult at best. Also, luthiers like doctors, chefs, artists, coders, etc. change over time. Some of this change relates to having better techniques, better tools, better materials, different building philosophies, getting over the learning curve, etc. Also, the builder may change what he/she is trying to accomplish with their instruments over time. This includes tone, playability, fit and finish, durability and ease of repair/adjustment. The reality is that examples of a builders work from 3 or 5 or 10 years ago may be much different from what they are currently building.

You can learn much from speaking with the builders. They can give insight as to what they are currently building and if they can and are willing to do what you are looking for.
Thank you for your post. Your right about finding current examples of what I'm looking for. Looks like I may have to schedule some vacation trips to Calif and Maine😎
Old 11-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I have played examples of all the builders on your list at several festivals. In the end, my ear has always drawn me to Baranik guitars. I have 3 including his parlour model which I love. I have also played a somewhat recent PX which really opened my eyes to that guitar.

Hope this helps,

Steve
Old 11-04-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Thank you Gitarro for both of your posts. Yes I still have my other truly amazing guitars. Just looking to add a wonderful small body short scale. From your experience and others on AGF sounds like John Slobod could be a wonderful choice.
In that case and as someone who also owns a somogyi like you, the circa I have absolutely holds its own against the somogyi which is the probably best guitar i have ever played, so I believe that slobod can build a guitar worthy of being spoken of in the same breath as your walker and somogyi.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
I'm looking to commission short scale, small body guitar 0, 00 cutaway or 13 fret. I have all Rosewood B&S guitars so I'm looking for something different i.e. walnut, hog, maple ???. I've narrowed my short list to 4 builders- Bruce Sexauer, John Slobod (Circa), Bruce Petros and Mike Baranik.

For those of you that have played these builders guitars please let me know your thoughts and what you love about the guitars from these extremely talented builders. BTW, I love both vintage and modern sounding guitars and plan on this being my primary finger style guitar. Thanks for participating.
As others stated, your shortlist is comprised of well-respected luthiers and it will all boil down to personal preference.

I own one Circa and have another coming shortly. I can't imagine you going wrong with John Slobod. Based on what you are considering, I'd go with a 00 maple cutaway. I haven't received my second Circa yet, but I'm already scheming for a 00 maple cutaway! The first maple Circa guitar that Al Petteway nabbed sounds INCREDIBLE. He has since moved from a 00 maple to a 000 maple also built by John.

I used to own a Baranik and loved it. I sold it mainly because I felt the guitar was too small (Retreux Parlor was the ULTIMATE couch guitar, but I did miss the presence a larger guitar provided me). I would order a guitar from Mike again in a heartbeat, but he does lean towards a more modern sound. I really don't think you can go wrong with Mike as well.

If you haven't done so already, try to play one of their guitars just to get a more immediate impression.

More importantly, let us know when you decide what route you go and please share pictures!
Old 11-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I own a Sexauer and played only one of the other makers. What I can tell you is that a day spend at his place would be worth while. He has quite a number of guitars in hand and you can play every one of them if you want. No better way to experience his work as they are not all the same but cover a spectrum of sound and feel.

He also has several neck shapes to select from and his "duel elliptical" shape is the best shape I've ever experience. In fact I had it duplicated on a custom done by another builder.

Your talking some serious money here, make an adventure out of it.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:43 AM
*mahoganut*

Hi RW ... my memory may be playing tricks, but did you come up to my place (Central Oklahoma) a few years back when I had the Baranik for sale? Something is ringing a bell... !

Anyway, I have owned 6 of Mike's guitars, and still have 3. I have played a nice Bruce P guitar owned by my friend and occasional poster ThinCrust. I have seen Bruce S's guitars and John's guitars but have not played them.

The Baraniks I have now are 3 of his current models - a Meridian, an OM, and a variation of the OM with a smaller lower bout that is very close to a 'standard' OO - with Mike's slight offset (generally invisible) of the waist. All have Honduran mahogany, with cedar, blue spruce, and redwood (respectively) tops. All would be considered modern in tone and range - balanced across the strings in volume. All are impeccably perfect in fit / finish, and the detailing ranges from subtly elegant to stunning.

Projection, and playability are very good.

If you are (or if you're not!) the same person who visited a few years back, you are most welcome to come and play any/all of the three. PM me for location - should be 3-3.5 hours north of you.

In any event - do enjoy the journey and post a build thread when you start!!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 11-26-2017, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Hi RW ... my memory may be playing tricks, but did you come up to my place (Central Oklahoma) a few years back when I had the Baranik for sale? Something is ringing a bell... !

Anyway, I have owned 6 of Mike's guitars, and still have 3. I have played a nice Bruce P guitar owned by my friend and occasional poster ThinCrust. I have seen Bruce S's guitars and John's guitars but have not played them.

The Baraniks I have now are 3 of his current models - a Meridian, an OM, and a variation of the OM with a smaller lower bout that is very close to a 'standard' OO - with Mike's slight offset (generally invisible) of the waist. All have Honduran mahogany, with cedar, blue spruce, and redwood (respectively) tops. All would be considered modern in tone and range - balanced across the strings in volume. All are impeccably perfect in fit / finish, and the detailing ranges from subtly elegant to stunning.

Projection, and playability are very good.

If you are (or if you're not!) the same person who visited a few years back, you are most welcome to come and play any/all of the three. PM me for location - should be 3-3.5 hours north of you.

In any event - do enjoy the journey and post a build thread when you start!!

Best,

Phil
Thanks Phil,

Sorry about late reply as I just saw your post. Yes, that was me a few years ago. Appreciate the offer and remember playing Mike's beautiful guitar along with your other great guitars and your great hospitality. I'm still in decision mode but hope to place a deposit soon😎
Old 11-27-2017, 02:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

I've played many guitars by all four builders on your shortlist... and you've given yourself a tough job! All are absolutely world-class luthiers who build beautiful sounding guitars - but each has a different character. So it's going to come down purely to personal preference.

My advice has to be to find and try some examples of their work. I fear any input from the Forum is going to be of little real use in helping you make your choice, given the upper echelon from which you're selecting - you really need to experience them and make your own decision.

For what it's worth, quite independent of your shortlist, my own preference for small guitars is Baranik (Retreux Parlour / OO) and Circa - I'm really drawn to their sweet treble character. And I think spruce over macassar ebony works superbly as a wood combination for a small guitar.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:23 AM

My perspective, as a builder, and perhaps as someone who knows Bruce a bit, has played his guitars, been to his shop,seen his work and methodology at various stages. If it were a football game, and I were the coach, and I had 3 quarterbacks to choose from, I'd play Sexauer.

Based on the type of guitar you've described I'd say Bruce is the man.

From a non biased future economics basis I would also say that Bruce's work will probably have the best resale value IMO
Old 11-27-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I hope I am not taking this off-topic, but can someone tell me what John Slobod's base price and wait time are? I have not been able to find out.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:08 PM

This is akin to choosing between a Ferrari, McLaren, Aston Martin, or Lamborghini! Each will have their base, and each are exemplary in their own right.

I've played examples from Baranik, Sexauer, and Petros, and loved them all for their amazing tone and playability. Haven't had a chance to play a Circa, but they do sound and look amazing from what I've seen. I have met all four builders and they were all a pleasure to talk to, so whoever you decide to choose, I believe you'll be very happy. I'd suggest taking a couple pilgrimages to their dealers and give them a test drive to see which one best fits your style and aesthetic sense. I would love and hate to be in the position you're in now!
Old 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

It seems possible I am the only person on the planet to have played all four makers guitars. I do know these people fairly well, some better than others.

Leaving myself out of the equation, the other three could hardly be more diverse. All are top rated builders who their own following, and deservedly so. If a person had one of any of these builders guitars they would have a tool that would not impair them to make make music. Most people would easily prefer one maker over the others if they had the chance to handle the guitars on the same day. Each of these three builders has a very specific style and while almost every builder will morph over time, one can be pretty sure of what one will get if and when the trigger is pulled on a build.

At least in my imagination, one of my more well honed skills is sussing out what it is that my own customers want, and then manifesting the guitar that will best suit them. Based on the OP's descriptions so far in this thread, there is so little to go on that I simply could only guess what the OP is after.

I do want to thank my own fans for their kind words in this thread.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM

Bruce has considerable experience in using non traditional woods . Yes , even for tops .
Although I am left handed , I have played and heard guitars built by him using both walnut and catalpa exclusively .
Just saying .
Happy hunting .
Old 11-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I have played a dozen examples of Bruce Sexauer's work (probably more, actually), probably a dozen Circas, and probably 2 dozen Baraniks.

I own a Circa and two Baraniks. I think it really boils down to what you're looking for. I know that John Slobod is very well known for his 00-12s, and Mike Baranik is very well known for his parlors, and 13 fret small body guitars. I think I've played 2 of John's 00-12s, one of which was at Healdsburg 2011. Many felt that guitar was one of the most memorable at the show.

John builds very firmly in the vintage Martin camp, though he ventures out occasionally. The 00-12 at HGF had ebony back and sides and more of a modern voicing and goes down in my personal history as the only ebony-backed guitar I've ever liked. John's building is very consistent and he continues to hammer out some of my all time favorite, drool worthy guitars. Circa's focus on the fundamental and note separation. Of all the Martin-style builders, he's my favorite.

My 13 fret Baranik PX is a very full, very responsive, and very loud instrument. It tends more to modern tone, has a more rounded attack, and more overtones. I owned it for a couple of years before adding a side port, which helped make the sound less directional. I've played a number of Mike's smaller guitars and they are always jaw dropping. In my view, the PX is one of the best small body guitars that can be had. It's a great smaller body that compromises nothing in bass response. Mike is well known for building guitars with exceptional projection and musicality. He has tons of experience building short scale guitars and maximizing the power and tone. I also own a Meridian, which is his OM size guitar. It has an asymmetric and relatively slim waist that makes it feel like more of a small guitar. Another incredible guitar, but not a small body or short scale.

I've been impressed pretty much by every Sexauer I've ever played. He knows how to build them light and responsive. I was particularly taken by a pernambuco-backed guitar he built a number of years back for HGF. I've also played a number of his Schoenberg guitars, which are great. Most of what I've played from Bruce has what I would describe as more of a vintage bent, again with more focus on the fundamental note and note separation than a huge bouquet of overtones. They are always fantastically light and powerful.

I think it really comes down to what you're looking for. If you play traditional folk music, like I do, you tend to value note separation and clarity over sustain and overtones. If you play more modern music that tends to leave more sonic space between the notes and rely on long periods of sustain and complex overtones, I would move more toward something like a Baranik - but I would imagine each of these builders could push things in one direction or another. I have not worked with Bruce, but I can tell you that John and Mike are two of the friendliest, funnest guys in the luthier world.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop