The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-18-2019, 03:07 PM

Default MIM Strat

I’ve been playing acoustic for almost a year. Today I bought my first electric, a used Stratocaster made in Mexico in great condition. I plan on changing the strings and cleaning it up, but is there any type of upgrades I should do or problems I should look for while cleaning? He also included a Boss OD-1 pedal, what’s your thoughts on that? Thanks

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM

Maybe change the pickups if the stock ones aren't your style.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:33 PM

Get the Strat setup to your liking and then play it before deciding on any upgrades. The biggest upgrade you could potentially make is your amp - what amp are you using?

Congrats on the Strat!
Old 03-18-2019, 03:36 PM

Your spot on about the amp, I have a cheap Fender Frontman.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 03-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Get the Strat setup to your liking and then play it before deciding on any upgrades. The biggest upgrade you could potentially make is your amp - what amp are you using?

Congrats on the Strat!
Agreed. And congrats! Additionally, with the numerous strats that I’ve owned I’d say it’s best to get a good feel for the tone you’re chasing. As stated, the amp is a huge portion of the equation and spending time getting to know it will aid in the next upgrade steps for you...if any

That being said, I’ve typically upgraded the trem block to a thicker one, the saddles to graph tech (you’ll want to make sure they match your string spacing), and complete wiring upgrades including CTS pots, orange drop caps (or paper in oil *pio if preferred), switchcraft jack and 5 way switch, vintage pushback wiring, a Tusq/graphtech nut, and a set of strap locks.

These wiring changes will have a HUGE impact on the tone and the thicker trem block will help increase sustain.

The possibilities are endless. I would also add that IMHO it’s vital to upgrade the wiring before swapping out pickups. Then you’ll have a true idea of the guitars real tone before deciding on pickups....if they need swapped at all. Usually adjusting them to the proper height makes a big difference also.

Finally, locking tuners CAN help...but aren’t really a necessity. Of course your use of the trem (*or locking it down) will aid in your choices regarding tuners.

Last edited by PTony; 03-18-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Congratulations!

I'd play the guitar for a while with a good amp before thinking about changing anything out. (Great guitar as is).
Old 03-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Congratulations!

I'd play the guitar for a while with a good amp before thinking about changing anything out. (Great guitar as is).
Thanks, that’s what I’m probably going to do.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 03-18-2019, 06:26 PM

Just as an aside Marine, MIM Fenders are incredibly well made instruments. You are getting good advise from the forum members to play the guitar and get to know it before changing anything. At the very least a good setup may take that guitar to the next level of playability without changing any hardware at all. And BTW, where are the pictures? We want a peek!
And thank you for your service Marine. God bless you.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Thanks, pics in the morning. I left it at work.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 AM

Learn what your instrument can do first. I have a single P-90 pick up of my Melody Maker. I can get a variety of sounds changing the tone and volume settings on the guitar. Picks and variations in attack make a difference too. Then I can make subtle changes on my amplifier for more tones. Don't even use effects until you learn your guitar. Many people look for new pickups and amps and never really learn what an instrument can do. Take your time, you'll save a lot of money in the long run and have a better idea of what you're really looking for when you do spend.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:06 AM

As Dru and others say. Play it and see how you like it.

Your amp is the other half of the instrument. Much depends on how your pickups work your amp - and amp settings.

Boss OD-1 is a fine pedal. Is it good for what you want, is another question. Try it. Try all possible combinations of its settings.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-19-2019, 09:40 AM

I put these in my Sunburst MIM Strat:
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/everything-axe-set

A definite improvement. I play through Tweed Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb depending on the gig.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
I put these in my Sunburst MIM Strat:
https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/everything-axe-set

A definite improvement. I play through Tweed Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb depending on the gig.
I put the same pickups in my MIM. Quantum leap improvement (to the tone MY ears wanted to hear)
Cannot endorse them enough!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:21 AM

A good setup is important on any guitar, but particularly so on Strats in my experience. Fender-style electrics are designed to be easy to service and setup, so you can often do a fairly good setup yourself with only a handful of tools.

There are tons of Stratocaster setup guides. Here's Fender's:

Fender's own Stratocaster setup guide

Since a folks are already suggesting pickups swaps in the thread, I'd counter by agreeing with the play it first and then decide faction. Most classic Strat single coil pickups respond to pickup height adjustments in ways that might surprise you.

The other big choice is to decide what to do with the "Tremolo" bridge. You can have it setup to float (rear of the bridge has a gap above the body) so that it can do up-bends, decked (bridge rear edge sits down on the body and the trem can lower pitch but not raised it) or blocked ("Eric Clapton style") with a chunk of wood between the back of the metal trem string block inside the back the of the guitar and the rear of the trem cavity. A blocked Strat bridge no longer moves in either direction. Each has their adherents and value.

Enjoy it! There are probably nice sounds available even with you low volume Frontman

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM

Cleaned up with new strings, so far I like it. It’s a whole different animal compared to my acoustic, but I think it’s going to be a fun journey. I’m going to wait to set up a tremolo bar to see if I even want one.

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars