The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-16-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Pete Thorn fans?

Anyone know of Pete Thorn? Amazing electric guitarist and he seems like a class act guy too. I only found out about him from his Youtube channel last year. He's been on tour with numerous famous artists over the years and toured the world.

He also has his own Suhr signature guitar, Suhr amp (PT100) and Suhr pickups (Thornbuckers). I'm surprised I hadn't heard of him before last year.

Just curious if people heard of him, yes or no.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Yes I discovered his Youtube videos , reviews etc. a little over 2 years ago when I decided to get back into electric guitar after a 47 year hiatus. During 4 months of research into electric guitars and amps

I really like his straightforward approach to review and think he is genuine and a real deal.

Plus I admit to having an empathetic soft spot for Pete , as our son suffered from the same amblyopia ( lazy eye) condition but we were very fortunate in that he got corrective surgery at 3 years old , which fixed almost all of the eye position issue, except for when he is really tired.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-16-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I discovered his Youtube videos , reviews etc. a little over 2 years ago when I decided to get back into electric guitar after a 47 year hiatus.

I really like his straightforward approach to review and think he is genuine and a real deal.

Plus I admit to having an empathetic soft spot for Pete , as our son suffered from the same amblyopia ( lazy eye) condition but we were very fortunate in that he got corrective surgery at 3 years old , which fixed almost all of eye position issue, except for when he is really tired.
Hey Kev, yep, Pete has a straightforward approach to his reviews with no BS.

Regarding his eye, I was watching one of his Sunday Live shows recently and the question was asked whether his eye ever held him back and he said no.
Old 03-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Kev, yep, Pete has a straightforward approach to his reviews with no BS.

Regarding his eye, I was watching one of his Sunday Live shows recently and the question was asked whether his eye ever held him back and he said no.
No I would not think it would hold him back per se , particularly if his condition is more in the muscle imbalance aspect and not so much in severe visual acuity imbalance . The empathy part is more for the fact that other people often become distracted by the appearance.

Back on topic It was one of his videos where he was using a Port City Amps speaker cabinet, that first alerted me about Port City Amplification. Which if I decide to splurge and put about $2k -$3k into an amp head and cab is at the top of my list.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-16-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Hey Dru,

Like others, I first learned of him while researching gear then found out how prolific he is.

Agree that he seems to be class act. I like his style!

Tim
Old 03-19-2019, 05:53 AM

My only problem with his reviews is that he makes everything sound good.

Last edited by jdmulli; 03-20-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmulli View Post
My only problem with his reviews is that he make everything sound good.
LOL, yes he does. He plays so effortlessly and flawlessly and has some amazing gear.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Pete hangs out at The Gear Page a lot. Nice guy. Met him there many years ago. I like a lot of his riffs and playing, but not the production of his songs. Most of his demo's are killer.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-20-2019, 05:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I like his demos.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Anyone know of Pete Thorn? Amazing electric guitarist and he seems like a class act guy too. I only found out about him from his Youtube channel last year. He's been on tour with numerous famous artists over the years and toured the world.

He also has his own Suhr signature guitar, Suhr amp (PT100) and Suhr pickups (Thornbuckers). I'm surprised I hadn't heard of him before last year.

Just curious if people heard of him, yes or no.
One day I was doing a gig at the resort I work at, and I was playing my National Triolian Resonator with a Highlander magnetic pickup on it. Well because I have volume limitations there, I've really had to work at coming up with a pedal(s)/amp combo that would give me the distorted delay'd slide guitar tone I like to record certain songs with. On that day, the tone was really happening, and right after my last song, this really nice guy came up to me to compliment me on my tone, and he said he couldn't believe I was getting it at such a low volume. Well that guy was Pete Thorn. He was a such cool dude. So polite, with no rockstar attitude! He was playing at the same resort upstairs in the ballroom with Melissa Ethridge. He told me to come up and check out his show, but unfortunately I had to go to another gig that night.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
One day I was doing a gig at the resort I work at, and I was playing my National Triolian Resonator with a Highlander magnetic pickup on it. Well because I have volume limitations there, I've really had to work at coming up with a pedal(s)/amp combo that would give me the distorted delay'd slide guitar tone I like to record certain songs with. On that day, the tone was really happening, and right after my last song, this really nice guy came up to me to compliment me on my tone, and he said he couldn't believe I was getting it at such a low volume. Well that guy was Pete Thorn. He was a such cool dude. So polite, with no rockstar attitude! He was playing at the same resort upstairs in the ballroom with Melissa Ethridge. He told me to come up and check out his show, but unfortunately I had to go to another gig that night.
What a great story! I had read he toured with Melissa Etheridge. Don Henley too.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:55 PM

I'm a fan. He's an incredible player who looks so completely relaxed. When I'm interested in any piece of gear, the first thing I do is check to see if Pete has a demo of it. Although that's probably not a good idea, because, as someone else said, he makes everything sound good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars