The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Default When to begin finger picking training

Friends, new player here. But no question that finger picking is what I want to learn, and bought a guitar (Larravee 00040RE custom - 12 fret) that is well-suited for that technique. Looking for a teacher now.
Is it a "learning to run before you learn to walk" issue to take on the challenge of finger picking while learning all the others stuff I will be focusing on. Just occurred to me that since I am starting with a clean slate, it might be helpful to focus my left hand work with right hand finger picking mindset as well.
Many thanks for your thoughts.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Start now. No reason not to pick with your fingers, and do what you want from the beginning. There's a lot of different kinds of finger picking, I learned classical style, but there's a world out there. I recently learned of a thing called "claw-hammer" or "frailing" guitar, totally amazing.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:04 PM

It makes sense to start FP now but I am not qualified to answer that as I started FP after many years playing with a pick. I think you should try but yes youll need a teacher that plays FP.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Of course some may look at this differently, but in the very beginning of this learning process, I believe building muscle memory and developing a good rhythm technique will be of most benefit. If you are the type who has always had great dexterity, then you may be able to jump on it all at once, but I have known many players who did not develop their rhythm technique in the beginning and never did develop it very well after. That is not to say there isn’t rhythm involved in fingerstyle or fingerpicking, but it is a different animal.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC5C View Post
I recently learned of a thing called "claw-hammer" or "frailing" guitar, totally amazing.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Very cool technique. Real old timey. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lg3MUSNvSs
Old 03-04-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
If you are the type who has always had great dexterity, then you may be able to jump on it all at once, but I have known many players who did not develop their rhythm technique in the beginning and never did develop it very well after.
That is the kind of feedback I am looking for, and appreciate it. I am a beginner guitar player, but have been a woodwinds player for more than a half century. I bring it up only to note that I have developed a pretty solid internal metronome. That said, I also do not want to bite off too much, too soon.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Mark Hasons “beyond basic fingerstyle”. Is a great early learner book. You will still need to practice chords and basic fingerstyle patters but the songs aren’t hard and sound like you know what you are doing. A real confidence booster
Old 03-04-2019, 12:59 PM

It took this fellow a few years before he attempted finger picking, and he eventually became a very good finger picker. However he mastered the fundamentals first.

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Old 03-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
Al, I have actually seen those vids already, and find them inspiring.
Cheers.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Everybody is different. Do your own thing. There is no single way to learn guitar. I started fingerpicking early, and I'm glad I did. It kept me interested when practicing chords and progressions. It also inspired me to kinda sorta develop my own style.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Everybody is different. Do your own thing.
Amen! I wanted to develop thumb independence. It probably took me close to a year, it's finally just kicking in. It may have taken me longer because I'd spend about 10 minutes a day on it, and I'm an old dog that doesn't learn new tricks quickly.

At least for me, it took a while for my thumb to develop a mind of it's own.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:42 PM

Default A great book to check out.

I am about 1/3 of the way through this book by Andrew Dubrock:

https://www.amazon.com/Travis-Pickin...s%2C689&sr=1-3

...and I am really digging it. It's a book about Travis Picking, although Dubrock points out in the introduction that 1) the technique wasn't invented by just Merle Travis, and 2) the term "Travis picking" is used more widely, to include styles that were inspired by Travis' style of fingerpicking. Dubrock's teaching style is very beginner-friendly, and there are online examples of every exercise in the book. In very short order I was fingerpicking the accompaniment to Sweet Sunny South, and it actually sounded like music!

I was so impressed by this book that I went and got Total Acoustic Guitar (which includes Travis picking instruction but, oh well) by the same author. I have been enjoying switching back and forth between the two books, working on strumming for 30 minutes and then on fingerpicking for 30. So far, no harm seems to have come from fingerpicking this early in my guitar journey.

BTW, I have no connection with the author or publisher. I just really like these books. Check them out and see what you think.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:50 PM

Fingerpicking is like learning to ride a bike. It seems impossible at first, but suddenly - and inexplicably - you can do it.

Practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. There are lots of ways to fingerpick, but it's hard to discount classical (and even flamenco) techniques.

A great aid is tablature of simple classical studies (Carcassi and Carulli in particular, and Sor as you progress).
Old 03-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Everybody is different. Do your own thing. There is no single way to learn guitar. I started fingerpicking early, and I'm glad I did. It kept me interested when practicing chords and progressions. It also inspired me to kinda sorta develop my own style.
Helpful insight. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write