The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-28-2019, 07:19 AM

Default Mark Hanson's Reply

I searched the forum for what fingerstyle book to start with, and it seems like Mark Hanson's books are the ones to go with. There was some debate as to to which one to start with, the Beyond Basics or The AOCTP. Mark replied to my email and asked if I would post this link in hopes that it may help and asnwer any questions. He also put it on his website as an article and ‘Tip form Mark.’
David

http://markhansonguitar.com/which-fi...-i-start-with/
Old 02-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Mark has great stuff. I want to give my right hand some much needed right hand review work so this weekend I'm digging out Strawberry Curl and adding it to my practice routine.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-28-2019, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I’m “fine tuning” Strawberry Curl, the final song in Art of Solo Fingerstyle. Mark is my Skype teacher and we started working together about 2 years ago when I started the book. I did 80 percent of the songs in AOSF and supplemented the ones I did not do with other selections. So glad I chose to use Mark as my teacher. I do a lesson every 2-3 weeks.

Contemporary Travis Picking I worked through on my own. It took about 14 months to work through it. There are still fantastic exercises in it that are good woodshed work especially the hammer on and pull off exercises.

I also did a lot of Beyond Basics before CTP. Canyon Canon is relatively easy and very gratifying to play and you do get some challenge with Key to the Kingdom (beginner version) as well as Taylor’s Ferry.

If you work through both CTP and AOSF, you will emerge with a very good foundation for alternating thumb fingerstyle.

Good luck!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 01-19-2024 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Good luck, David. I too started with one of Mark's books, The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking. Heard about it right here on the AGF. It really does get the job of getting your thumb under control. Took me several months to get through it, at which point I was able to start private lessons with a really good foundation.

You can't go wrong with any of his materials. I have the other 2 books and they are on my list of things to get to.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:26 AM

Will using the art of contemporary Travis picking help in learning to play james taylor type accompaniment?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Will using the art of contemporary Travis picking help in learning to play james taylor type accompaniment?
Basically, the answer yes. But, James' signature sound also comes from his tasteful use of suspended chords, hammer-ons and pull-offs. Mark does cover those techniques as well. Along with this book and following a youtube tutorial or two on some of James' songs, you should be well on your way.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 AM

Went straight to Art of Solo Fingerpicking, after that onwards to Leo Kottke "Eight Songs".

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Hmmmmm.....
I'm wondering if the Travis picking book is right for me or not.
I don't really Travis pick or play many songs that require it - never going back again is the only one, I think.
I'm intrigued by the Art of solo fingerstyle since that's what I like and play the most.
Would anyone who's worked through both of these, think the Travis book is a necessity first?
I do realize Travis picking is a particular skill and a good one to have.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
Hmmmmm.....
I'm wondering if the Travis picking book is right for me or not.
I don't really Travis pick or play many songs that require it - never going back again is the only one, I think.
I'm intrigued by the Art of solo fingerstyle since that's what I like and play the most.
Would anyone who's worked through both of these, think the Travis book is a necessity first?
I do realize Travis picking is a particular skill and a good one to have.
I had gone through both books, but I was a complete newbie to fingerstyle, coming from flat picking/hybrid. If someone has some experience with finger style I don't see why they can't just use the second book.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had gone through both books, but I was a complete newbie to fingerstyle, coming from flat picking/hybrid. If someone has some experience with finger style I don't see why they can't just use the second book.

Keep in mind that the Travis picking book is a bit less advanced than the Solo book.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Mark is a great guy and has answered my emails in the past. If you ever get a chance to take a workshop it is well worth it. By the way, he’s got some new and updated books on his website.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:04 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Keep in mind that the Travis picking book is a bit less advanced than the Solo book.
By "2nd book" I meant the "Solo" book. I kinda know which one is which,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
By "2nd book" I meant the "Solo" book. I kinda know which one is which,
I know what you meant
Thanks Barry
Old 01-19-2024, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’m “fine tuning” Strawberry Curl, the final song in Art of Solo Fingerstyle. Mark is my Skype teacher and we started working together about 2 years ago when I started the book. I did 80 percent of the songs in AOSF and supplemented the ones I did not do with other selections. So glad I chose to use Mark as my teacher. I do a lesson every 2-3 weeks.

Contemporary Travis Picking I worked through on my own. It took about 14 months to work through it. There are still fantastic exercises in it that are good woodshed work especially the hammer on and pull off exercises.

I also did a lot of Beyond Basics before CTP. Canyon Canon is relatively easy and very gratifying to play and you do get some challenge with Key to the Kingdom (beginner version) as well as Taylor’s Ferry.

If you work through both CTP and AOSF, you will emerge with a very good foundation for alternate thumb fingerstyle.

Good luck!
I'm thinking about taking online private lessons with Mark. I've been working with his second book for more than two years and I think that I'm stuck.
I tried everything and my technique is the same.
Are online classes worth it?
How is Mark's approach?
Old 01-19-2024, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud_Spencer View Post
I'm thinking about taking online private lessons with Mark. I've been working with his second book for more than two years and I think that I'm stuck.
I tried everything and my technique is the same.
Are online classes worth it?
How is Mark's approach?
I think online lessons are well worth it and I’d have high confidence Mark will unstick you if you follow his teaching and coaching after he sees what you are doing.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write