The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 AM

Default Bonus while on a Craig's List run with my wife

I've been wanting to try a nylon string guitar for a while. My wife collects antique sewing machines. She found one on Craig's List and asked me to accompany her to buy it. We live in a small town, about an hour's drive to the nearest city where the sewing machine was. I told her sure as long as I can stop at a guitar store and try some nylon string guitars. In particular I was looking at the La Patrie line. I have a Godin A12 and am very impressed with the Godin quality. I was waiting in the car while she checked out the sewing machine. She stuck her head out the door and told me they also had a guitar for sale. It was made in Quebec. Did I want to look at it. Of course I said yes. It was a lovely La Patrie Etude. $150.00 changed hands and I now have a nylon string guitar. I am totally amazed at how sweet this guitar sounds. I think I'm hooked on nylon strings.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:44 AM

What a great score at that price. I had an Etude and was really impressed with quality of materials and construction for a nylon string in its price range.

But I was most impressed with the beautiful tone. The solid Canadian cedar top and cherry back and sides really sang. I especially liked that it had a truss rod that made setting the action a breeze. After putting on a set of Savarez 540R Alliance/HT Classic NT it was hard to put down. You'll enjoy playing it I'm sure, especially knowing what a bargain you've made.

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE
2021 Alvarez AP66ESHB Parlor
2020 Fender Special Custom Telecaster FMT
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
Old 12-11-2018, 10:27 AM

The tone is what sold me. I can only describe it as sweet. It's like honey.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Brown View Post
The tone is what sold me. I can only describe it as sweet. It's like honey.
Congratulations on a great deal. Cedar top nylon string guitars seem to have a sweet lyrical tone, very pleasing to the ear. Enjoy
Old 12-12-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

That is a great story. Enjoy those nylons!
Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

What a story! It was clearly meant to be!

My wife and I visit antique and junk stores at home and when on vacation and I’ve never stumbled onto even a decent guitar. On one trip, there was a guitar in a case and my wife said “better check it out, it might be that priceless antique guitar you’ve been looking for” As I was opening the case, the shopkeeper said “if you’re hoping to find a pre-war Martin in there, you’ll be disappointed”. She was right

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical