The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-13-2020, 03:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’ve been recommended to watch The Social Dilemma on Netflix. Anyone watched it yet?
Yes. It was a bit chilling wasn't it?

I got on Facebook years ago to keep up with my daughter (in her teen years). Only have a small friends list of HS classmates (reunions and such) and guitar playing "buddies." Have un-followed those who constantly post politics, or "lookie, lookie whare I am" addicts. Visit no more than once per day. Post maybe 3-4 times/year.

Took it off my phone a couple of years back to limit what I had on there that could track me.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
YHave un-followed those who constantly post politics, or "lookie, lookie whare I am" addicts.

I'll unfollow then finally unfriend. A family member won't be happy when she discovers she's just been unfriended. But who needs a political soapbox in their face everyday.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Yes. It was a bit chilling wasn't it?

I got on Facebook years ago to keep up with my daughter (in her teen years). Only have a small friends list of HS classmates (reunions and such) and guitar playing "buddies." Have un-followed those who constantly post politics, or "lookie, lookie whare I am" addicts. Visit no more than once per day. Post maybe 3-4 times/year.

Took it off my phone a couple of years back to limit what I had on there that could track me.

I have yet to watch it. Probably this coming weekend. But I bet I already know the gist of it. It tracks you, it listens to you (seen it myself, I could be talking about something, not do a single google search about it, and Facebook starts to show me ads related to the product I was talking about). It only shows you posts of the same 5 people regardless if you have 1000+ friends. It logs every key stroke, every article, every meme you click on, even on “private groups”.

Am I close?
Old 10-13-2020, 02:20 PM

No Facebook. No Twitter. No Instagram. No other similar programs, ever.

However...
Signed up for LinkedIn in its infancy (to understand the format) but never even completed my profile or landing page. Drove the dweebs at LinkedIn crazy and they never stopped emailing me. Irritating, that.
Got convinced by a friend to "try out" Pinterest, because she found it interesting. Still on their email barrage list and occasionally visit a page, but have never been an active participant.
Also, for well over a decade, I was an active participant/contributor to several prominent classical music forums. When I decided to return to playing music, not just listening to it, I took up guitar again (c.2009) and discovered AGF (2011). While I don't post incessantly here as I did on the classical music sites, this has become my go-to when I feel like "sharing" on a semi-public level.

I was in the ad business for half a century, and was proud that I managed to maintain my personal ethics throughout, in spite of (1) monetary temptations and (2) the bad rep that the ad biz generally has often shouldered. I wrote (but no, did not program) entire websites from the earliest days of the internet. But social media never pulled at me...even though I have many friends on Facebook and elsewhere. And FWIW, in the past several years, as I learned the rather scary ramifications of geotargeting, pinpoint marketing, and all the insidious possibilities inherent in digital media, the happier I was to be aging out of the business. Frankly, I do not like what I see happening. I think I'll like being retired...a new journey that started in June.

Cheers,

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic