The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-03-2020, 04:40 AM

Default Acoustic Routes documentary

I remember seeing this documentary in my youth and it got me into acoustic guitar in a big way.
It follows such greats as Bert Jansch, Wizz Jones, Davy Graham etc. and was focused on the folk trans-Atlantic movement.
Some brilliant footage. A real goldmine for acoustic players.
For those who missed out the first time around, it is now available in full courtesy of YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DONv5nqjbsE
Hope you enjoy it!
Old 10-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Yup, well worth watching as I recall. I think that one has the short clip of Jackson C Frank playing in Les Cousins for one thing.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-04-2020, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I really enjoyed this! I wasn't familiar with any of the names so it was great to see them tell their stories and play their songs. I really enjoyed when they walked around the towns to the various venues they'd played and talked about what it was like playing back in the day.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:58 PM

Thanks for this!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 10-29-2020, 07:08 AM

I've got this on DVD. First time I saw it was on May Day bank holiday, 1994 I think. It was crazy as I was, still am, a massive fan of John Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Davy Graham, but this was before the internet, and I seemed to be very much on my own with musical interests like these. So it was a bit of a shock when I turned the TV over and there was this glorious documentary.

It was also the first and only time I've ever seen a guitarist play into a computer (Bert Jansch) which then scored in music notation, in real time, the notes he was picking.

I thought then that'd be a very very handy thing to have, I tried for years to find out how it was done, and even now I don't know. Maybe I should spend more time researching it.

The end of the DVD with brownie maghee I found less interesting, but those clips of Bert and John in Bert's kitchen, just two masters, sat drinking tea and composing together, magical.
If you like this style of music, have a look at my YouTube channel, there may be a fair amount of folk baroque, as it was called, that may appeal to you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN