The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-03-2019, 07:44 PM

Glad to hear you're doing well Cap. The calluses won't be long forming again.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
My fingertips are sore.... less than an hour all total... and my fingertips feel bruised! Who knew the calluses (calli?) would go away that fast?
My other indulgence is coffee, a couple years ago I bought a super-automatic espresso machine. My routine has been to turn on the machine and put a cup of water in the microwave for 2 minutes, pick up the X20 and play until the microwave dings. Then dump the water and make some coffee, maybe another 2 minutes. I'll do that a couple times a day. It ensures I play at least a little every day.
Emerald X10 Black Level 3
Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

The callouses are coming back, and I am playing again daily. It is such a treat to have guitar options. My music partner friend gave me a song idea over the weekend... in just short of two hours, I learned the song and laid 4 tracks (guitar, bass, drums, vocal) that I sent to him. Two days later, still waiting for him to add keyboard and sax (synth). The guitar of choice for that project was my X20, with effects (trying something different).
Old 11-29-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Six weeks later... playing daily and enjoying it. Earlier this week, I mentioned to the Blonde that it might be nice to check out a solid body electric...

"Like what?"

"Well, I always liked the look of an SG."

Next thing I knew, we were heading to the big city to look at a Guitar Center. They had several SGs, a bunch of Les Pauls, and a bevy of Strats. I played some. Nothing that made me swoon. The salesman took down a Paul Reed Smith - nice guitar. I went home to consider.

On the way, the decision was made to bring out the 335 and the T5. An hour's worth of playing on those nixed any thought of adding a solid body.

Since then, I've been adding some daily time with the T5 along with the acoustics. Yeah, they are different animals. But, playing an electric isn't "sinning", right? You don't hear acoustic players talk about crunch or grit. I think I need to find a quiet amp. My music partner picked up one of the new series Yamaha THR amps a few days ago, and was playing for me over the phone. Interesting premise.

The callouses are doing fine.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

It's been a couple months since I dusted off this thread. We have been in the Phoenix area for a couple weeks, and I have played more in that time than the previous two months. My music partner and long time friend Mark has a music room where we have been playing and recording.

Today, we were joined by occasional forum participant and friend Earl and his wife Alice. Earl brought his lovely X20 (Emerald green) and a Blackbird Clara ukulele; Alice brought a giant piece of plumbing that she explained is a bass flute. She plays it well. The four of us spent the afternoon taking turns coming up with songs to play.

That is yours truly on the Stratocaster (Mark's); Earl was playing my X20. Not easy keeping up with those three, but a good time was had.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:19 AM

Phoenix?? A guy named Mark?? Cool!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 AM

Cap,

Sounds like you're back to normal and enjoying life again. Good to hear! Keep on playing.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Cap,

Sounds like you're back to normal and enjoying life again. Good to hear! Keep on playing.
Well, to be fair: "normal" is a condition I've never been associated with. But, I do encourage that whole enjoying life thing.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Guest 928

That looks like a lot of fun. Any chance of forwarding a sound bite or two?
Old 02-12-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
That looks like a lot of fun. Any chance of forwarding a sound bite or two?
Sorry, Evan - no video. Joan took a moment from the quilting project she and Mark's wife are working on to take a couple photos.

The quilting projects...

Old 02-12-2020, 09:54 AM
Guest 928

WOW! Those are very nice. Your next video definitely needs a quilt background.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

The finished product...

Joan finished the guitar quilt today. I know how much time and effort she put into it. The photo doesn't do it justice: she put flame-shaped stitching through the background (just for me).

Early on, she asked if she should modify the design to reflect the guitars I have... "No, these are representative of some real standards in the guitar world - besides, my guitars do change from time to time."

Yesterday, she bought a new sewing machine. Yes, I could have gotten another nice guitar for what that machine cost... I'm not complaining - I have plenty of guitars, this is her first upscale machine for future projects.

She has been working on this quilt with the wife of my music partner; she is an experienced quilter and has been very helpful for Joan. He and I worked on some new tracks today. He did a sax solo (synth) today that just left me speechless. This all makes me feel like I should do something socially redeeming.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

This came from Joan's "quilt mentor": "Joan's guitar quilt is amazing! It consists of 294 pieces of fabric layered on a background creating 3 actual size guitars. Each piece was sewn into place then quilting was added for dimension."

She said it better than I could have. Whew!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:03 PM

That is really beautiful! Great composition
Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 AM

Any change of a close up on some of the finer details? Frets, inlays, bridges? I'm curious if it's applique? That's a great quilt!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber