The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-21-2020, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Tree experts? Arborists? Removing Big Trees in the Hudson Valley Area

Hi all, just kind of discovering this "open mic" thread! Hoping for some input.

I've been concerned about some larger trees on our property in the Hudson Valley.

One tree ( I believe an Eastern White Pine) has shed 2 very large branches in the last 3 or 4 months during storms. Both times we were lucky that a maple tree below it caught them.

I'm looking into getting this tree removed all together, and also to have a very large oak tree with co-dominant trunks looked at. It looks like it was cabled in the past, and those cables have broken. Not sure if the right move is re-cabling, trimming, or removing all together.

Anyone with any experience or perspective in this area in terms of best course of action / how much it should cost to remove large trees?

I'm a city mouse in transition and would appreciate anything at all.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Just had a large maple, smaller pine, some other small trees near power lines removed, and storm cleanup in Southern CT, just over 3 grand. Probably about the same in Hudson Valley. Took them a day plus an hour or two,
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:15 AM

I sent you a private message.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:08 PM

Tree work is ridiculously expensive. Financially you’d be better off buying a good chainsaw and probably some other tools, doing some research and falling the trees yourself.

It’s not rocket science but it can be a very dangerous job so if you don’t feel able to do it get a professional. Just be ready to spend some money.

Like anything else shop around for the best price but make sure who you hire has good insurance in case anything goes wrong.

Best of luck to you!
Old 10-21-2020, 09:05 PM

While felling a tree is not hard, if you have never done this before, a large White Pine or Oak, is not the place to start. Depending where these trees are situated on your property and in relation to your neighbours, felling the tree may not be possible and the tree will need to be taken down in sections. This will require someone with experience.

The other issue to consider is what you will do with the remaining material. Pine may not be worth much for fire wood but you may be able to make a deal with the person you hire to fell these trees to be compensated for giving them this Oak wood.

I am in a similar situation, if your Pine is like mine in size, just having someone to remove the trunk and mulch the branches will be money well spent IMO.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 10-21-2020, 09:39 PM

I would first check with your local city hall. Many species of trees in North America are protected and you need a permit to cut them down. Paying someone to cut it down may be expensive, but if done illegally, the fine could be much much worse.

Where I live, the Live Oak trees are heavily protected.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:25 PM
Charter Member

I deal with tree issues more than I ever imagined I ever wood. I manage condominium grounds of four acres. Trees lose branches here and there all the time. Some more often than others. The limbs usually don't land far from a tree. They don't fly. It's a judgement call whether a problem tree is worth messing with and keeping, or not. You can always call a tree guy back if you need to. Mature trees can't be replaced. I've learned to get quality tree people over cheap friends of friends. I'd rather have things done and done correctly rather then mess around with people that don't know what they are doing, don't show up or have problems. We have oak trees over 250 years old. All our oak trees have been the most stable, trouble free and robust trees we have.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-22-2020, 03:49 AM

As an aside, if any of those trees are near a power line and a threat to it, your hydro provider might take them down for you. I had a massive 100+ft tall 4ft across pine taken down by my hydro provider. Cost me $0. A quote from a tree company came in at over $1500 for that same tree before I realized it was a threat to the power line.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:56 AM

I'm in the Hudson Valley and had a 85' pine tree taken down a year ago.It cost $2300.It was very close to the side of my house and had to be taken down in pieces.The guy I got to do it was excellent.Started cutting at 9 am felled and removed by 2:30 pm.Dont know where in the Hudson Valley you are,my guy is located in Copake, NY.If you want his contact, send me a p.m.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLQ View Post

I'm a city mouse in transition and would appreciate anything at all.
This is the line that catches my attention. If you're a city guy moving out to the country and you call the local tree service, they'll get dollar signs in their eyes and charge you an astronomical amount. You've got to get entre into the club of local repairmen who all know each other. In my case, I did it thru my plumber, who recommended a guy who recommended another guy and so on. My plumber knows my roofer who knows my electrician who knows my tree guy, and they all know my handyman, who is also a volunteer fireman (that's an important qualification around here). As a result, I now have a whole cadre of local guys who do work for me, and I get fast service and reasonable rates. When I had to go to the phone book to find service guys, I got killed.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Tree work is ridiculously expensive. Financially you’d be better off buying a good chainsaw and probably some other tools, doing some research and falling the trees yourself.
To anyone considering this... Please, please please spend a couple of hours on Youtube watching the August Hunicke channel. He is a highly experienced arborist that runs a top flight tree service.

Watch how this technical wizard/artist/daredevil gets the job done the right way before you decide to hitch a couple lines to a tree so your truck can tug it in the correct direction, climb a ladder with your brand new Stihl MS160, and destroy your home and/or life...

...there's a reason why about half of youtube is filled with "chainsaw fail" compilation videos...

Here is August Hunicke dealing with a big multi-trunk black oak (suggest you increase playback speed to 2X):

Old 10-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Wow thanks for all the input!

They are fairly substantial trees, so it was never on my mind to do it myself. The size and locations could definitely impact neighbors and such.

I've gotten a few specific contacts / leads for tree guys already, and I appreciate you all very much! As far as I'm concerned I can't have too many leads and would be happy to hear about any more professionals that anyone has worked with.

I'm just in the process of finding all my "guys" up here as AX17609 had pointed out and hoped maybe there'd be some forum members with good contacts.

I will also have to explore if the utility company would do it, as Daniel mentioned.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

I just sent you a private message.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic