The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2021, 08:18 PM

Default Tuner display coming loose on New Martin

Seems like it should be an easy fix. Repair shop wants $40.00 to reinstall.

What am I missing here? Looks like I just need to re-adhere with adhesive strip.

I took it in to have the action lowered.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:58 PM

Is that the one where the tuned note is displayed in a window at the bottom of the soundhole?

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-16-2021, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Is that the one where the tuned note is displayed in a window at the bottom of the soundhole?

Steve
Not the bottom but it's in the sound hole on the side. Appears attached with a sticky contact tape.

Being told the fret ends are edgy.

And

"Frets: Very slight high fret at 12, 13 and a bit higher @ 19. Address for lowest action. "

In full disclosure due to my ignorance, the humidity was below specs after I bought it, and I had to have it rehumidified previously. But I have kept the humidity in specs with an Oasis hygrometer and humidifier since.

Seems odd the frets are high for $1500.00 guitar and a Martin to boot. Or is that just common when one wants to lower the action? Or is this to be expected that Martins are made in Mexico now?
Old 04-16-2021, 05:25 AM

Once it goes out of its ideal range humidity wise anything can happen, so not super uncommon for it to now need fretwork.

The tuner display, two drops of superglue gel and hold it for 30 secs and that will be fine, surprised they would even charge you for doing that if its in getting other work done.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 04-16-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Once it goes out of its ideal range humidity wise anything can happen, so not super uncommon for it to now need fretwork.

The tuner display, two drops of superglue gel and hold it for 30 secs and that will be fine, surprised they would even charge you for doing that if its in getting other work done.

Steve
Thanks Steve
Old 04-16-2021, 09:25 AM

The fret issue is a result of the fretboard drying out when it was not humidified. You're paying for a half setup. They guy needs to make a living I assume. It's quick work.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Not the bottom but it's in the sound hole on the side. Appears attached with a sticky contact tape.

Being told the fret ends are edgy.

And

"Frets: Very slight high fret at 12, 13 and a bit higher @ 19. Address for lowest action. "

In full disclosure due to my ignorance, the humidity was below specs after I bought it, and I had to have it rehumidified previously. But I have kept the humidity in specs with an Oasis hygrometer and humidifier since.

Seems odd the frets are high for $1500.00 guitar and a Martin to boot. Or is that just common when one wants to lower the action? Or is this to be expected that Martins are made in Mexico now?

Watch out for too much humidity. That can cause as much if not more damage than dry.
Humidity is way over rated..... what you need to check is the moisture content of the wood, not the ambient humidity.

Ron
Old 04-17-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The fret issue is a result of the fretboard drying out when it was not humidified. You're paying for a half setup. They guy needs to make a living I assume. It's quick work.
Got it. I see that now
Old 04-17-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMay View Post
Watch out for too much humidity. That can cause as much if not more damage than dry.
Humidity is way over rated..... what you need to check is the moisture content of the wood, not the ambient humidity.

Ron
I'm doing the best I can now that I now what's going on. I now keep it in the case at all times with an Oasis hydrometer and humidifier. We do have central air in the summer via geothermal so it seems to keep the humidity down in the house. I also watch the humidity with an hygrometer in the house. I going to add a humidifier to furnace before next winter.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:36 AM

My luthier has a $40 minimum charge, though he looks at stuff and gives advice for free. Could be that they have a smiliar policy, if so just wait until there is more to work on to make it worth the while.
Old 04-17-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMay View Post
How do your recommend measuring the moisture content of the wood in a finished instrument?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair