The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM

Wow, impressive work!
Martin 00L-17
Martin D-18
Gibson L-00
Gibson J-45
Old 03-30-2013, 11:51 AM

Default fingerboard on

Hi everyone - I got some good work done today and I'll have to make two posts today. All the pics won't go in one post.

Yesterday, in Iowa, where I live, was a nice and bright sunny day. So I took the neck outside and snapped a couple quick shots of the inlay and the fingerboard glued on.

I'm not trying to beat this to death, but I've just wanted to get a good shot of the inlay - the color and the engravings. The camera, my camera, doesn't have the resolution to pick up the fine lines. Matter of fact, it actually "blurs" them. These lines are super fine...anyway, this pic is better. I like the dogs coloring.

Fingerboard glued on. This is Macassar Ebony.

Here is a pic of the neck with the frets in. And the side dots.

and this last pic in this post is of me lining up the neck in my neck shaping jig. For those of you who haven't seen it, here is a youtube link to this jig in action, by me in my shop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc66Gm5jcys Plenty people call me and ask me details about this. I don't have any plans and I just tell them, "watch the video as much as you need to and go for it".

On to the next post.

BTW - Thanks Silverfox - thank you.

Have a peaceful day.

Kevin.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:09 PM

Default Neck shaping

I got a ton of work done this morning. I got the side dots put in. They are a brass ring and a mother of pearl center - looks GREAT, and...the pics don't necessarily show it but...

I got it fretted, I got the neck carved in my neck carving jig and I blended the volute and the heel in...all before lunch .

This is freshly carved...spindle is still spinning.

another angle of the carve. (this jig is so awesome). I can't tell you, well, yes i can...I have this thing DIALED in for my carve. I am cutting .010" to .020" away from finish and just sanding the rest in...this would be considered my 'Solo Fingerstyle Neck Carve' - for those that want to order. I've got this neck shape down. Great tool.

Here is a better pic of the side dots. Some one asked me if I get tear out with this bit I use when carving these figured necks on my neck shaping jig...no....no tear out. this pic is right off the router before any sanding is done. There are striation lines from each router pass, but normally its a very smooth operation.

11:05 CST I pulled the neck off the jig. Here is the volute blended in.

11:20 CST here is the neck finished ready to start the finish process.

and some other nice pics revealing the wood.

Have a super Easter Day tomorrow.

Peace...keep living.

Kevin.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Loved watching your neck jig in action. That is awesome.

Hope you had a blessed Easter as well!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Loved watching your neck jig in action. That is awesome.

Hope you had a blessed Easter as well!
Hi Cigarfan - Thanks dude! It is awesome - its dialed in and I couldn't do without it now. Just trying to show a little home-made HAND MADE innovation that I use. Its fun to use too...

Yes - our Easter is more than bunny rabbits and chocolate eggs. It was GOOD!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
... our Easter is more than bunny rabbits and chocolate eggs. It was GOOD!!!
During services I got to sing "The Old Rugged Cross" solo with my acoustic. Only thing that could have made it better would have been playing a Pederson EuphoricMojo Sinker/Koa!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
During services I got to sing "The Old Rugged Cross" solo with my acoustic. Only thing that could have made it better would have been playing a Pederson EuphoricMojo Sinker/Koa!
Cigarfan - Awesome! I learned that song fingerstyle too (forgot it by now though)...but if I sang it, people would cover their ears haha...

I agree it would have made it better. I'd LOVE to build you a Pederson EMojo...it would knock your socks off! Let's talk. Send me an email.

Kevin.

The "neck detail" is finally finished. I've been cryptic about this and have to be for a little while longer. I have to build a little anticipation. This is going to be very unique and very very very COOOL!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:08 PM

Default Demo Concert

For those attending Healdsburg, if any of you want to hear my mini-demo concert, I am the FIRST one on Friday, August 9, 2013 at 11:50 - 12:10. Al Petteway is going to be demoing this guitar (and my other ones). So if your going to be there and want to hear it played expertly, then be there early that Friday. I'll reiterate this at the end of this thread too...just wanted to pass this information on for now.

Also - if you can't make it before that Friday or you won't be there that early Friday, and you want to check out my guitars, please stop by my table and touch, feel, and play them. They look nice, but they are made to play FIRST. I'll also like to hear player feed back from the fit & finish, to the playbility/sound and set up. As a solo instrument (fingerstyle) I shoot for low(er) saddle/nut action, and an easy playing neck. I just want to hear players favorite set ups/neck feels etc.

I'll be back to uploading pics tomorrow.

Hope you all have a super great night.

Kevin.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Default neck set

Its starting to come together. I always love it when i get the neck put on there, even though its not done. I just have it setting in there for the prop pic.

My neck sets are pretty technical being adjustable and it just takes time to get it lined up. I want everything thought out well and yet practical. I love engineering these guitars - sometimes that is the fun part. I sure hope I can get more done tomorrow. Life is a balancing act.

I've shown a few people this "neck detail" and they are ALL blown away - shocked in fact haha...

Anyway, I will have more pics of the neck set...but this is all I can show for now.

Hope you all have a super great night.

Kevin.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM

Got the back glued on tonight. Should be a nice sounding guitar. I've been keeping track of deflection tunings and resonant frequencies.

Here is a pic of the back minutes before I glued it on. Will have more pics tomorrow and I can start the bindings process.

Here are a couple other inlays I've done.

I still haven't used this one. I cut it a couple of years ago and other things got moved to the front. Its still here.

I'll be starting the binding on the EMojo tomorrow...maybe I'll have some pics for tomorrow night.

Also been working on a "new" model. Should have it "unveiled" at Healdsburg. I'm hoping I can get it done in time that is. I'll do a build thread if I think I can complete it.

Hope you all have a wonderful night.

Kevin.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Default back glued on

Hello -

figure starting to pop a little more with some finer sanding and the back "wetted" down a little (don't worry - not water).

and...it will finish out much like you see here, only I'll have the bursting on there too...wow - what a beauty. And with the bindings on there too...can't wait!!!!

I like how things start to look when it gets to this stage. Getting closer.

I'm working on the top abalone binding right now...might have pics tonight, or Saturday evening.

Have a SUPER GREAT DAY!!!!

Kevin.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:46 PM

Wow, this is one cool guitar Kevin!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Default Bindings

Here are some binding pics. And a couple other things.

Here is my back strip on this guitar. Just keeping it simple.

Here is the neck going into the spray booth.

This is a little binding "foot" that I've made. I'm sure this is nothing new here. This seems a little easier and less complicated than some other ways I've seen this done.

Here is a pic from the underside. I use this type of "foot" a lot building arch top guitars.

Another shot from underneath. This is the back of the guitar getting routed now.

Here are all the purflings cut and bent - for one side only - whew, lots of work.

Cutting a miter joint

This pic is a little blurry, but it shows the miters.

In a conversation with Ervin Somoygi he mentioned to me, "a good picture deserves a good picture frame. With out wax!" Does anyone recognize this???? the "without wax" part??

The material sandwiched between the b/w/b purflings is cross cut bubinga. Looks great in person. I got part of the Brazilian Rosewood bindings done today but not finished. They look really good going across the inlay on the sides.

More later.

Have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 AM

Default back binding

I don't know about you guys, but Sunday afternoon about 3PM I'm chomping at the bit to get to Monday. I LOVE Mondays because its a great work day for me. I am thankful to be able to do this full time for all these years. I know some guys have full time jobs they balance. Anyway, its always great to hit the shop Monday morning about 5AM.

Here are some pics of the back Brazilian rosewood binding. As mentioned before the material sandwiched in the purflings is cross cut figured bubinga.

And the side inlay detail is blended in with the binding now. It looks pretty cool.

Now I have the top binding to do. There are actually tons of steps I haven't shown, but even in this thread - all the steps you are seeing are for the construction of ONE GUITAR. So us small builders are earning our income by customizing guitars for people. All this work goes into every guitar I make - because 99.9% of them are CUSTOM HAND MADE!!!. I love it

and I do use a 12' back radius. I have used the 15' radius a lot too...I like the 12'. Here you can see a nice 12' radius across all directions on the back.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Default binding the bevel

I had to make a router base to use a bushing to ride against the pattern - this to rout the top side of the bevel.

And this probably isn't all that interesting, but...it might be for some.

Here is the base I made.

I made this base so I could utilize the Porter Cable bushing(s).

Here is the router base, the bushing and the template.

This is the template that has the bevel "pattern" on it and you can see how the bushing rides against the patter and the router bit is lowered into the work. About .055" deep (or less).

Here is the channel routed on the redwood top for the binding of the bevel.

This is a picture of the bindings and purflings applied.

And the top bound with b/w/b purfling, the abalone, and then the b/w/b purfling. Today I'll be working on the bevel itself and binding the "bottom" side of that. Making a jig today to do the bottom rout on the bevel. Once I get that done - THEN I can actually put the binding around the the top, and the bevel. And the blotchiness is just shellac that was sprayed on first.

Hope you all have a super great day.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop