The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 06:28 AM

Default Taylor GP distribution.

Looking forward to playing the new Taylors.
IS there a target date as to when they will make it into the MOM and POP stores?
Old 03-19-2019, 06:50 AM

Yes, I read in Wood & Steel, this spring. Probably more like May-June. I know Sweetwater has several on their website as well. They were the first to have them. I'd love a 517.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:40 AM

I've had a 317 in stock for two weeks. 517 is coming soon. I think the BE models are the only ones that will take much longer.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 03-19-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
I've had a 317 in stock for two weeks. 517 is coming soon. I think the BE models are the only ones that will take much longer.
"BE" meaning Builder's Editions?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM

I played a 317 at Dietze Music in Omaha a week or two back. They're not exactly a mom and pop, but not large chain either (a couple locations each in the Omaha and Lincoln areas).
Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 AM

Gryphon here in Palo Alto has them in. Played a 317 and 517 last weekend.

So to answer your question, the time is NOW!
Old 03-19-2019, 10:17 AM

Go to Taylor’s website and search for a dealer. As you scroll through them, you will find only some are designated “GP Featured Dealer”. These will be getting the guitars first.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Tried out the 517 and 717 today. The sound was much milder than I thought. I was expecting more of a J-45 mixed with a Dreadnaught boominess and it was not there. Left the store scratching my head about the GP.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:03 PM

Rainbow Guitars in Tucson claims to Have the 517 and 717 on their website. I am headed down for business next week and will stop by to try them.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Tried out the 517 and 717 today. The sound was much milder than I thought. I was expecting more of a J-45 mixed with a Dreadnaught boominess and it was not there. Left the store scratching my head about the GP.
I took delivery of a 517 BE WHB that Sweetwater had a little over a week ago. I am responding to your comment about the mild tone. The first day or two that I played it, I was pretty concerned with the quiet, kind of thuddy sound I was getting. I could faintly hear something pretty cool, but overall was disappointed. But I knew that the guitar was made in mid-January and was so very new. I also expected that the torrefied spruce top was going to be stiffer than the other spruce tops I play. So I expected there was going to be a significant break-in period.

Long story short, I have been playing it a lot in the past week, and the guitar has transformed greatly in this week of hard playing. I'm used to playing a D-28, and find that this Taylor likes a firm hand just like the D-28 did when it was new. I realize that when I first played the guitar, it didn't have good dynamic range, it didn't have a lot of volume, and there wasn't a lot of clarity. But that has all changed with dramatic improvement in all three areas. I am starting to hear the same tone I heard from Andy Power's videos on the 517. I have to say the tone and playability are intoxicating. After playing for a couple hours I try to put it down and walk out of the room, only to find myself going back for "just a few more chords" which then turns into another 30 minutes of playing. And on it goes.

So the point of this post is to maybe alert those of you who are interested in the guitar that in my experience it is not impressive when it is brand new, but it is impressive after a week of hard playing, and we're just getting started. I have absolutely no buyer's remorse and believe this Taylor is going to be an exceptional guitar as it grows up.

Last edited by BoneNut74; 03-20-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
I played the 317 at Mass Street Music a couple of days ago.
It didn’t really “WOW” me.
I got hands on another 324ce V-brace. Still think it’s the best thing I’ve played I. A while.
But the price of these things has gotten out of hand, to me.
I see the 3’s as the entry to an all solid guitar.
But the V-brace is literally a full thousand dollars more than the old x-braces model.
I’m the guy that buys good reasonably priced gear.
But these are priced so that even when they become available used they are going to be above what the old design sold for new.
Maybe the market will prove me wrong.
But not holding my breath.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 03-21-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
But these are priced so that even when they become available used they are going to be above what the old design sold for new.
I learned the hard way this past year how quickly Taylors depreciate the minute you walk out the store. Then, on my particular model, they raised the price on 2019s 6.6% ($300) with no equipment changes.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
But the V-brace is literally a full thousand dollars more than the old x-braces model.
What stores are marking up the new V-braced models by $1,000? There are a half a dozen shops by me and the range is from no increase to $300. And not sure how the increase was all due to V bracing vs just inflation.

To the OP - there are a few shops in the Chicagoland area that already have the BE versions.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:32 AM

Default Thanks for the responces.

I have looked for the local dealers that are on the Taylor GP dealer list, and the only one close doesn't have them yet.
Shoreline, you mentioned you have the 317, what is your impression on this guitar?

Thanks

Bill
Old 03-21-2019, 06:50 AM

Good to hear Bonenut and Oldguy. I thought there was something wrong with me. Glad they are coming in to there own. I will spend some more time on them, especially after they get some attention at the store. Thank you for your input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion