The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Would you buy a new guitar that had the bridge reglued?

I can get a great deal on a new guitar (about $300-400 less) but I was told that the guitar had the bridge reglued. The seller claims this is a common repair and that the guitar is as good as new...maybe better. He said this was a warehouse guitar and "often times they pop off in the box".

Is it worth the risk? I am worried that the bridge popped off because of heat or humidity issues, which could mean there may be other potential problems elsewhere on the guitar.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I can get a great deal on a new guitar (about $300-400 less) but I was told that the guitar had the bridge reglued. The seller claims this is a common repair and that the guitar is as good as new...maybe better. He said this was a warehouse guitar and "often times they pop off in the box".

Is it worth the risk? I am worried that the bridge popped off because of heat or humidity issues, which could mean there may be other potential problems elsewhere on the guitar.
Bridges on occasion may need a reglueing - however, never heard of a new guitar needing that repair,
never heard of one that popped off in the box and no it's not worth the risk - not with a story like that.
also, never hear of a 'warehouse guitar' unless its just one that's been played in a warehouse.

just my opinion -
Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I'm guessing by "warehouse guitar" they mean new old stock, so I'd assume imagine that means the bridge became loose due to humidity issues from sitting around. In which case I wouldn't buy it because who knows what other issues there could be.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Im curious as to what brand of guitar are you looking at buying? I know Recording King seems to have alot of issues with bridges lifting and coming off.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Bridges do come off and need to be re-glued. They were initially glued and as long as re-glued properly is a non-issue.

It is possible that an instrument has been abused resulting in the bridge coming off, but a re-glued bridge does not mean that the guitar was abused. One can look for signs of abuse regardless of whether or not a bridge has been re-glued. If you can’t assess the instrument first hand, then there is a risk in buying sight unseen, regardless of a bridge being re-glued. That is one of the reasons not to buy sight unseen.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 03-18-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM

It would have some special guitar for me to buy "new" but "repaired". Bridges can lift in time (my Eastman AC420B did) but in the box, unused? I agree that it could indicate negligence and hidden problems.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Run away!!!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

No. I would also buy from a different vendor.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-18-2019, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like trouble.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:25 PM

What kind of guitar? Have you laid your eyes on this guitar? A bridge reglue isn’t inherently problematic, but if this is a new or very recent guitar is raises questions. If you can’t see it first, I’d be wary. But if you see it and everything else is kosher, it may be okay. If you don’t know enough to make that assessment (and most people don’t), see if you can arrange to take it to a trusted luthier for an inspection. But I agree with those who say that this really shouldn’t be happening with a new guitar, so I’d be digging pretty deep.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

"Would you buy a new guitar that had the bridge reglued?"

No...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 03-18-2019, 02:04 PM

Default Would you buy a new guitar that had the bridge reglued?

When I graduated college I treated myself to a Gibson B45-12 "Sundown" factory second, that needed a bridge reglue - cost me all of $180 w/HSC (about half what a first-quality piece would have cost at the time)...

Had Matt Umanov reglue the bridge for $30...

Came out well ahead of the game, and had a fine-sounding guitar with no other troubles - never should have sold it...

If (and only if) all else is up to spec, a reglue costs about $100 around my parts - I'd personally have no reservations...
Old 03-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Concidence, I was in a shop last week, they had 2 new guitars, that you could slide a piece of paper under the bridge, a credit card would not fit. One guitar was China made, a Blueridge, but their most expensive guitar, a BR-283, dealer priced for $2100. The other was an American made expensive Larrivee. The dealer was planning to repair himself, carefully getting the right glue under the bridge with a siringe, then placing a clamp for drying. Seems like an inexpensive repair for a luthier, not sure about a do-it-yourself. An issue that has not been addressed in how significant that amount of savings is to you. If you have a large income vs if you have a small limited income. I am going against the dominant wisdom here to say that I would consider buying a new guitar that needed a bridge re-glue,
Old 03-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

If the repair person provided a detailed receipt as to how she or he repaired the bridge, basically what they did to correct it, type of glue, prep, reused the old bridge or added a new one and the shop was reputable, probably okay. Short of that, I would pass if I did not hold it in my hands first and inspect the area.

You are fortunate that the seller disclosed the fact that the bridge lifted and needed repair. Some sellers do not disclose that the bridge came off or was broken and repaired then try to sell it.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:25 PM

1/2 price and lifetime warranty I would think about it.

Chances are the dealer got full credit for it and wants to get some free money.

Damaged goods are almost always given full credit as long as the items are taken to the dump. I had a good friend who was a salesman for a major company, we often made runs to the dump but most damaged items never left my truck. He had to say they went to the dump.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion