The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-28-2019, 07:53 AM

So have we come to a conclusion that sound ports may be sound?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
So have we come to a conclusion that sound ports may be sound?
I thought we each reached our own conclusions on these various issues. Or did I miss a memo?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:22 AM

This is probably a different take on the whole sound subject....I'm a southerner by birth. First guitar was a Stella Harmony, next acoustic was a 70's sigma DR-7 which I still have. Several electrics which I won't bother mentioning. I eventually got on board with the more expensive...guild, martin...have two Martins currently.

I have tinnitus in my left ear and often wife has to repeat herself due to that and general hearing loss. When it comes to playing the guitar and sound I've never really critiqued like a lot do on the forum. To me its either good/bad, enjoyable or not. Me and a buddy while in the navy used to play in a stairwell of the barracks. Sounded awesome, we'd draw a small crowd who'd give their compliments. Guess what I am saying is I'm a simple guy that appreciates any decent playing/sounding guitar. I know this is not what this thread is about and if everybody was like me it would be a boring place. By the way some of those sound holes are pretty cool looking to me.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
.....At the bottom of our sound port options page of our website, there is additional information of testing we did several years ago with a dB meter......
Thanks a lot for that link Tim. It is very interesting to see data that backs up the knowledge that you and Alan and other experienced luthiers have regarding the benefits of sound ports.

And when it comes to personal opinion (as opposed to scientific evidence), I think your soundports look wonderful!

Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion