The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-26-2019, 09:29 AM

the whole thread...too funny.

I do think they are ugly, would not get one myself
Old 02-26-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
My guess is, that's exactly the way the soundport concept was discovered- when somebody pulled out the barn door preamp panel and liked what they heard.

That's also an easy way to test out the concept on your own...
Actually they started on classical guitars…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2019, 11:03 AM

Cool My feeling exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
It pains me to see a beautiful guitar mutilated. Is there a reason for it?
A couple of years ago I bought a wonderful Edmonds 0000 in BRW. I really wanted to keep the guitar, but it was the sound port that killed it for me! It would have been a wonderful vintage-styled guitar, except for that hole.

I believe it made for less sound, but others here believe it adds to the sound experience for the player. Not me. I didn't know whether to place my chin in it while playing! It was an ugly thing. Every time I see a guitar for sale with one, I stop looking and click back. I've wanted another Stephen Kinnaird guitar for awhile. Too bad most ordering his custom builds are going for this really bad option.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Once you go sound port...it’s hard to go back.... finally I get to hear what everyone else is hearing when I play!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 02-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Once you go sound port...it’s hard to go back.... finally I get to hear what everyone else is hearing when I play!
HI 7P

I'm not sure that's true, at least not for me. One of my four has a side port, which was a huge improvement from the player's perspective.

The other three don't need that…but if they did, I would make sure they had one.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Default I'll play...and hear myself

I love the soundport!

I've been tempted to "mutilate" my "lesser" guitars.

I hate the barndoor electronics in my Takamine and have considered removing it and installing a K&K and converting the "hole" to a soundport.

Last edited by sevargnhoj; 02-26-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: changed "deface" to "mutilate"
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
I get to hear what everyone else is hearing when I play!
If you can hear what everyone else is hearing, a soundport might be a great idea to have while practicing. While performing you might not need or want a soundport. In that case a soundport with a door might be a good idea.

SOUNDPORT.jpg
Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Im seriously considering a port in the new build Ive commissioned. It is uglyish, not too bad but if it improves my expierience, Im a bend my head over to hear the guitar person, Ill do it.
As far as the aesthetics, I feel the same way toward cutaways only worse as they are more intrusive, ugly, but if you need one for your playing you do it. What cracks me up is a beginner, meaning before an intermediate, havubg a cutaway on their guitar.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:04 PM

It can also be used as cupholder or ashtray.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
When I'm boom-chucking, I sometimes struggle to hear the bass. I'd worry that a sound port would make it all the more challenging.

(I know. I know. Stand closer to the bass, or at least further from the banjo. But I'm not quite good enough to get to choose my spot most of the time.)
Scott grove, the youtuber, put plastic bassports in a cheap (dean?)...says he got more bass out of it

I'm not in the soundhole camp but the first 3 examples looked great
Old 02-26-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im seriously considering a port in the new build Ive commissioned. It is uglyish, not too bad but if it improves my expierience, Im a bend my head over to hear the guitar person, Ill do it.
As far as the aesthetics, I feel the same way toward cutaways only worse as they are more intrusive, ugly, but if you need one for your playing you do it.
You obviously did not see the photos I posted earlier in this thread. Sound ports can be beautifully designed.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Remember this is an opinion forum. Its virtual guys standing on a corner talking about guitars. I say I think [U]blank brandare ugly and sound awful and one of the other guys says he loves the sound. I used the word ugly-ish because I think guitars look better without them but I could tolerate one for a purpose.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I used the word ugly-ish because I think guitars look better without them but I could tolerate one for a purpose.
I feel like that about the guitar shaped sound hole on my Garth Brooks model Takamine. I think it's ugly, but the guitar sounded so good and played so well, I had to buy it anyway.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:12 PM

I suppose mutations will happen as an evolutionary process but when I want to hear my guit, I hand it to the player across from me. The benefit of that is generally they're better players than I am so I really get to hear the ol' girl.

Gibson 60's Dove
Old 02-26-2019, 09:39 PM

I would probably never add one or have one installed in a build but I would never pass on a world-class guitar because it has one. One of my favorite guitars, a Charis, would be spectacular without or with the the sound port it has. Many top builders are installing sound ports but it remains to be seen how long it will be a "thing". Fad or future? I guess we'll see.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion