The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 PM

This thread cracks me up lol
Old 02-24-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryboss1 View Post
This is funny..
Only one person thought it was funny. I’m woikin a tough room tonight.....
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 02-24-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbell View Post
I can't get past the look of a hole in the side. To me they look like someone removed a preamp and left the hole there. I don't doubt they help project sound to the player, but the look sure puts me off from buying a guitar with one.
My guess is, that's exactly the way the soundport concept was discovered- when somebody pulled out the barn door preamp panel and liked what they heard.

That's also an easy way to test out the concept on your own...
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 02-24-2019, 09:23 PM

This style gives the player maximum choice.

al094_carruth.jpg al096_mottola.jpg
Old 02-24-2019, 09:46 PM

Further proof that people hear with their eyes. Just like "tonewood" discussions.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 AM

Being old school, I like the traditional look. When I was looking at carbon fiber guitars, I picked Rainsong mainly because I liked the look. I don't care for sound hole re-positioning. I'm sure there's a logical and practical reason by the luthier, but I just don't like the look.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:12 AM

Three out of four of my Joshua House guitars have side sound ports, and they function exactly as described previously. Two are essentially classical shape (one with six steel strings and the other with four double courses tuned like an octave mandolin), and one is a cutaway 00. The one without the port is a 000 shape.

I removed the preamp from a Kala ukulele and the loss of weight and the hole has changed it much for the better. I have yet to pretty up the hole by sanding the edges and touching up the finish, but I will eventually.

The all mahogany folk size S&P might benefit from a side port.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephystar View Post
Wow, not one cup holder joke yet? You guys are slacking today!
No, but I understand Willie Nelson has the hole in the front of Trigger to hide his joint when the police raid his show...[emoji23]
Old 02-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Default Sound Ports?

So while I was working at Mandolin Brothers a few years ago we received an unusual guiitar made by a Canadian luthier, Allan Bearsell. One of the perks of being employed there was that nearly every week I would have the opportunity to see (and play!) something new. In addition to folks bringing their instruments for possible sale or consignment, small shops and individual luthiers would show up with their examples, hoping that a prestigious shop would take them on. Stan Jay (the owner) would then offer up his expert opinion, pulling no punches.

This Beardsell jumbo guitar, a Model 4 I believe, had two sound ports. One on the upper bout and another larger one on the lower. The larger one was equipped with the optional sliding door! Everyone went gaga over it...it was like nothing else we had seen and the overall quality and sound was outstanding. This guitar was purchased that same day and Stan eventually ordered one for himself.

The point here is that sound ports have their place as an option on a particular style of guitar. No, I wouldn't want to see them on a traditional Martin style dreadnought, but I think for fingerstyle (as mentioned in a previous reply) they could be a definite plus.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:23 PM

What about making a “barn door” electronics- where you could remove the module and simply leave the hole open for those times that you don’t need amplification?
Talk about versatility!
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Of all the guitars we’ve built maybe 10 didn’t have side sound ports. We have yet to have a client come back and regret their decision to opt for one. Here are a few of our side sound port designs:
Old 02-25-2019, 06:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
What about making a “barn door” electronics- where you could remove the module and simply leave the hole open for those times that you don’t need amplification?
Talk about versatility!
There is a problem with making a side sound port too large because it raises the Helmholtz frequency of the sound box, which results in a guitar that sounds thin and tinny sounding. We engineer our sound ports into our designs by reducing the main sound hole diameter by the volume of the sound port. This way there isn’t a negative effect on the Helmholtz frequency.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeDude View Post
Talk about versatility!
You could but that would look ugly. That's why I did this instead. To have it back to what it was originally just requires undoing a couple screws and then putting back the barn door harness.

martin-soundport.jpg
Old 02-25-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Only one person thought it was funny. I’m woikin a tough room tonight.....
I'll make that a 100% increase . My only question is to how many actually considered it to be serious .
Old 02-26-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
This thread cracks me up lol
It is not always easy to tell just by reading the text of a post what the OP's intention is so some folks took this as a sincere question and other's took it as a tongue-in-cheek sort of thing. It just comes with the territory of online discussion forums.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion