The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfaz View Post
I really appreciate the comments. I think I will just let it go. As much as I want to say something, the chances of him recouping any losses is very low. It is just so hard to see someone pay over $2K for a 200 series used Taylor. He said it was purchased from a friend. Around my community, live, acoustic music isn't really huge, so people often don't know what to value their stuff at.

Doesn’t he have the internet to at least get an idea of what they sell for? Shame on him for being uninformed and just plain dumb.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedray View Post
Tread this ground very carefully. You don't know all the facts and may have entirely the wrong idea. I wouldn't touch it unless invited to.
^^^^^^^^
Couldn't agree more about not touching it.

Simple version, IF the tale is true, whoever mentions it to the buyer will be forever involved with it in a negative way. You know, shooting the messenger.

Best path is to play dumb about it. And certainly not bring up the subject. And if it is mentioned in a way that can't be avoided, something like a simple, "Oh I thought the price of Taylors started at $2000 (or whatever)" should suffice." It would play better to be perceived as uninformed, than to look like part of an unintentional conspiracy. In addition, anything now said might be construed as embarrassing or insulting to the buyer because of any excess payment. Peoples' feelings are often different from facts, real or perceived.

At this point it is an unexploded bomb which probably will go off at the wrong time (Murphy's Law).

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-22-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:47 PM

Unless it has high dollar electronics in it or something else special, he actually paid about 3x used price - I let a Taylor 214DLX (in VERY good condition) go for $600. But I still wouldn't tell the kid - I would let him enjoy his guitar. It may have exceptional tone, may have included a high-dollar case, books, stand, expensive strap, picks, whatever. I have overpaid by a couple hundred dollars for an instrument I really wanted, and have not regretted it, because it's a keeper, and over the years the couple hundred extra is negligible.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
This is a tough one. Someone unscrupulous enough to overcharge a high school kid by a factor of two, isn’t likely to be someone who would be willing to give a refund.
This is true. But at the very least, the name and identity of the type of individual who would do this to a school kid should be made known, and he should be publicly shamed.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 02-22-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: inappropriate language
Old 02-22-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Doesn’t he have the internet to at least get an idea of what they sell for? Shame on him for being uninformed and just plain dumb.
Yes, shame on a school kid for not being totally corrupted quite yet and savvy to our culture of "let's rip each other off as much as we can and the winner is whoever gets away with the most."

Is that the kind of educational message we want send to a hopeful member of our future society? Or could this perhaps be an opportunity to deliver a teachable moment toward a more compassionate and community-minded attitude in a member of the future generation?

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 02-22-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:35 PM

I get it ..your his teacher and your fond of the kid.
You want to extend your teaching to life lessons.
But imho its not really your role. I would let it lie.
Perhaps he' s mistaken in what his folks paid
for it. Or perhaps he' s trying to impress you by
inflating the price.,, kids. either way i wouldnt.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:44 PM

And another thing. It seems there was a rush to judgement that the seller knowingly overcharged for the guitar. It is possible that the seller had no real idea of the instrument's worth.

The seller was described simply as being a 'friend'. But it is also entirely possible that the seller was being greedy.

Besides what has been said about the elves, as quoted in someone's signature, there is another axiom that goes something like:
Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 02-22-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post

We have all overpaid for something at some point in our lives.
What you say Willis?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
This is true. But at the very least, the name and identity of the type of individual who would do this to a school kid should be made known, and he should be publicly shamed.
Correct. If someone else gets ripped off because this was not made known shares some of the guilt if making it known would have stopped it happening again. Those are not feelings. Those are facts.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 02-22-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: edited quote for the post
Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 PM

When I was 20 I paid a couple hundred bucks for a Rolex. It was a fake (obviously). Many years later, I still feel the embarassment I felt when a jeweler told me exactly what I had bought. That experience has probably kept me from doing a hundred other shady deals.

If it were me, I would give the kid the opportunity to learn from his mistake. It may not be welcome news, but you’ll probably help him keep his hard-earned money in his pocket in the future.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 02-22-2019, 07:49 PM

"Never kick a fresh cow chip on a hot day."

1936 Martin R18
Bourgeois Vintage D
Gibson F5 Goldrush Mandolin
Wildwood Balladeer Custom 5 string Banjo
Old 02-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
There isn't necessarily theft nor is there necessarily deception. The seller asked a certain price. The buyer agreed to it. It isn't a new guitar with a MAP price, etc. It is a used guitar. It is worth what is agreed to. It may have been
intentionally over priced or perhaps the seller did not understand the market, either. There may have been no attempt to take advantage.

The buyer appears to be happy. 5 years down the road he may think "boy, did I pay to much." He may still like the guitar and still want to keep it.

Making a federal case out of this will not help the student. It could just be a life lesson.

We have all overpaid for something at some point in our lives.

Let it be.
Except that minors can't legally make contracts. Do a little research. Heck, consider this example (from here: https://contracts.uslegal.com/contract-by-a-minor/ ):

Helen, age 17, wanted to buy a motorcycle. She did not have the money to pay cash but persuaded the dealer to sell a cycle to her on credit. The dealer did so partly because Helen said that she was 22 and showed the dealer an identification card that falsely stated her age as 22. Helen drove the motorcycle away. A few days later, she damaged it and then returned it to the dealer and stated that she avoided the contract because she was a minor. The dealer said that she could not do so because (a) she had misrepresented her age and (b) the motorcycle was damaged. Can she avoid the contract? Yes. In a state that follows the common law rule, neither the damage to the property nor Helen’s misrepresentation of her age will prevent her from avoiding the contract. Some states would hold that because of the misrepresentation of age, Helen must pay for the damage that she has done, but she can avoid the contract. A few states would hold that Helen cannot avoid the contract because she misrepresented her age.

Still think this minor can't void that contract for the purchase of a Taylor guitar and demand his money back? Unless a parent or guardian co-signed that purchase and sale agreement, then it seems that the minor should have the right to demand his money back upon return of the guitar.

As his teacher, I would talk to the students parents and leave it in their hands.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:56 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljohn View Post
Except that minors can't legally make contracts. Do a little research. Heck, consider this example (from here: https://contracts.uslegal.com/contract-by-a-minor/ ):

Helen, age 17, wanted to buy a motorcycle. She did not have the money to pay cash but persuaded the dealer to sell a cycle to her on credit. The dealer did so partly because Helen said that she was 22 and showed the dealer an identification card that falsely stated her age as 22. Helen drove the motorcycle away. A few days later, she damaged it and then returned it to the dealer and stated that she avoided the contract because she was a minor. The dealer said that she could not do so because (a) she had misrepresented her age and (b) the motorcycle was damaged. Can she avoid the contract? Yes. In a state that follows the common law rule, neither the damage to the property nor Helen’s misrepresentation of her age will prevent her from avoiding the contract. Some states would hold that because of the misrepresentation of age, Helen must pay for the damage that she has done, but she can avoid the contract. A few states would hold that Helen cannot avoid the contract because she misrepresented her age.

Still think this minor can't void that contract for the purchase of a Taylor guitar and demand his money back? Unless a parent or guardian co-signed that purchase and sale agreement, then it seems that the minor should have the right to demand his money back upon return of the guitar.

As his teacher, I would talk to the students parents and leave it in their hands.
I had mentioned the ability to void a contract by a minor for luxury items but it fell on deaf ears. I do think that the seller might have to be a merchant though.

To all those who said do nothing, is that what you want done when someone drives past your house and sees someone breaking in through a window? "Don't say anything" "Don't get involved"? "Look the other way?" I was raised differently. I guess I'm old fashioned.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-22-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I had mentioned the ability to void a contract by a minor for luxury items but it fell on deaf ears. I do think that the seller might have to be a merchant though.

To all those who said do nothing, is that what you want done when someone drives past your house and sees someone breaking in through a window? "Don't say anything" "Don't get involved"? "Look the other way?" I was raised differently. I guess I'm old fashioned.
False equivalence. What the seller did is not a crime. Apple, and many others, is shafting people everyday.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:16 PM

So my question is this. Does anybody know the exact circumstances of the sale?
Without knowing all the facts of the sale speculations and assumptions can be made and change nothing.

I am not sure a guitar sale is comparable to the sale of a motorcycle. Motorcycles must be registered with the state. Regulations vary state to state. It is a more complicated transaction.

If the OP determines the specifics of the sale and a law was broken, then speak to the parents.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion