The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2019, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Yairi sells a very tiny fraction of the volumes the big makers put out, yet the fact that there are so many great older Yairis (and fans!) out there speaks volumes about the quality that went into them.
I've had a '96 DY-74 and 86 and 85 DY-90s and they all played and sounded great.
In another 30 years I'd bet they'll still make great music for someone. I'd still own one if my wrist didn't push me toward 12 fret smaller body designs.
Those pics of those older Yairis are just beautiful.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Resets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petespix View Post
gabriel_bc, can you post about the neck reset of your DY 53. I was wondering about it because I've read that Yairi necks are glued in with epoxy and are most difficult to near impossible to remove. Anyone else with direct experience with Yairi neck resetting please chime in.

Thanks!
I recently purchased a 1978 Yairi DY74 from Dave's Guitar here in Wisconsin. It was in need of a reset, and indeed those necks are attached with epoxy. Carl at Dave's is a genius and spent a good bit of time getting the neck off and reset. Many (most) won't even do it, and unless you are an experienced "Carl," I believe a recipe for disaster. I am thankful for Carl and his considerable skills, talents, and patience, as this DY74 is just an amazing addition to my small guitar world. Carl is truly a wizard.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post
I recently purchased a 1978 Yairi DY74 from Dave's Guitar here in Wisconsin. It was in need of a reset, and indeed those necks are attached with epoxy. Carl at Dave's is a genius and spent a good bit of time getting the neck off and reset. Many (most) won't even do it, and unless you are an experienced "Carl," I believe a recipe for disaster. I am thankful for Carl and his considerable skills, talents, and patience, as this DY74 is just an amazing addition to my small guitar world. Carl is truly a wizard.
Great to hear you were able to get that work done!

I'm a proud owner of a 1981 DY-75. There has been some discussion over the years relating to the difficulty of neck resets on the Yairi's. Mine might be a candidate for a reset.

Can you provide any more details about the work done by Carl?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Nelson View Post

I wonder if this is still true of modern yairis, specifically the masterworks line (which are advertised as built with hide glue).
Old 03-19-2019, 12:02 PM

Have had an Alvarez for nearly 40 years and thought nothing could take its place until I came across this guitar:

1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 03-19-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhttr View Post
Have had an Alvarez for nearly 40 years and thought nothing could take its place until I came across this guitar:

Beautiful guitar, what wood is it made of?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Beautiful guitar, what wood is it made of?
Spruce top, laminated maple sides and back.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 03-20-2019, 02:06 PM

I went back to the store today that had a Martin CEO-7 that I had looked at and considered rather than getting my Yairi FYM66HD last week. They are similar in some ways, neck size, size of body, price, but very different in style of course. I wanted to look at the Martin again and see what it was that made me not go that direction. My impression the first time I saw it was it didn't have the same fit and finish as the Yairi, who's luthiers were obviously meticulous about getting the details all perfect when making the guitar.

The reason I felt the Martin wasn't as well finished was the pickguard, it's been rough cut, not beveled or even sanded it seems, with a frayed edge that just doesn't look finished. Looking carefully at the guitar otherwise, I don't see anything that I would say is lacking in the construction and finish. I did notice on the heel of the neck, it tapers to a rather sharp edge that roles up into the neck a good ways. It struck me that it should have been rounded a bit, perhaps. When I look at the Yairi it does seem that is tempered a bit more, like it was worked on to just the right shape, while the Martin might not have gotten as much attention on this area of the neck.

All this is to say, the Yairi is absolutely superb in every detail, the workmanship is as perfect as I could expect any guitar to be, if not as elaborate. The Martin is very good as well, but there are these very slight things that just leave me feeling like it's one of many guitars made in the factory that day. The Yairi makes me feel like they didn't let this guitar leave the factory until it was absolutely perfect. That, and the fact it's made with a very special stock of wood that has a story behind it and will not be available someday, making it not the same as just any guitar made by anyone else with whatever wood stock they have available, is the reason I got the Yairi. I would have been very happy with the Martin I'm sure. It's a classic style guitar with personality and it probably would have held value better than the Yairi if I ever needed to sell it. But I hope for that day to never come, the Yairi is a keeper and I intend to hang on to it and enjoy it for a very long time.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
All this is to say, the Yairi is absolutely superb in every detail, the workmanship is as perfect as I could expect any guitar to be, if not as elaborate. The Martin is very good as well, but there are these very slight things that just leave me feeling like it's one of many guitars made in the factory that day. The Yairi makes me feel like they didn't let this guitar leave the factory until it was absolutely perfect. That, and the fact it's made with a very special stock of wood that has a story behind it and will not be available someday, making it not the same as just any guitar made by anyone else with whatever wood stock they have available, is the reason I got the Yairi. I would have been very happy with the Martin I'm sure. It's a classic style guitar with personality and it probably would have held value better than the Yairi if I ever needed to sell it. But I hope for that day to never come, the Yairi is a keeper and I intend to hang on to it and enjoy it for a very long time.
I tend to agree with this statement - there is a certain handcrafted "small batch" feel to my K. Yairi, and in the particular configuration I have, somewhere between an 00 and 0M in dimensions, makes it particularly pleasing to hold and enjoy.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 03-20-2019, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I have an Alvarez masterworks which is a stupid good guitar for the money. However its just not in the same league as my Martin and Guild. I would love to try a K Yairi but most I see are larger than I can play. What OOO/OM size models should I be on the lookout for? I’m also not a fan of built-in electronics, especially the barn door type which seems to be prevalent with older Yairis.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 03-20-2019, 08:55 PM

I have a DYMR70SB which is really a gorgeous guitar. The wood quality and construction is first rate. Although a solid rosewood guitar, it's extremely light. The tone is sizzling and explosive. I bought the guitar new for $2000, but I still consider it a good deal. It probably won't bring the resale of a Martin D-18, but I would rather have it than a D-18, of which I've had 5 or 6.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
I have an Alvarez masterworks which is a stupid good guitar for the money. However its just not in the same league as my Martin and Guild. I would love to try a K Yairi but most I see are larger than I can play. What OOO/OM size models should I be on the lookout for? I’m also not a fan of built-in electronics, especially the barn door type which seems to be prevalent with older Yairis.
If you can find an FY or PY model, those would be the Folk/OM or Parlour size guitars. The M after those letters would indicate it's in the Masterworks line for Yairi, which I think is the all solid wood, and it if doesn't have the M it's probably laminated back/sides (which isn't necessarily as bad as other laminated guitars, as Yairi does lamination different/better than others). Then the numbers indicate the kind of wood used, I think the 60 series is mahogany, with the 66 being all mahogany, the straight 60 would be spruce top with mahogany back/sides, etc.

That should help you find what you are looking for. You can go on the Alvarez website and look at the current Yairi models, it should give you some idea of how they indicate different models and the woods used.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

I picked up this K. Yairi used TC-1E during a trip to Tokyo in 2010. Spruce over -I think- laminated Jacaranda. In previous threads, there's some disagreement on what Jacaranda really is, though it is a classified genus with ~50 species. I'm usually pretty obsessed on every little detail re guitar purchases, but I just liked its tone and playability, and what better souvenir of a trip to Japan?. Price was below the customs limit for paying U.S.duty! It's the only classical guitar I have...a nice occasional change of pace. With a touch of reverb it sounds very ethereal amp'ed. Is there a comp Alvarez-Yairi model?

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5784.jpg (41.6 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by gmel555; 03-21-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
If you can find an FY or PY model, those would be the Folk/OM or Parlour size guitars. The M after those letters would indicate it's in the Masterworks line for Yairi, which I think is the all solid wood, and it if doesn't have the M it's probably laminated back/sides (which isn't necessarily as bad as other laminated guitars, as Yairi does lamination different/better than others). Then the numbers indicate the kind of wood used, I think the 60 series is mahogany, with the 66 being all mahogany, the straight 60 would be spruce top with mahogany back/sides, etc.

That should help you find what you are looking for. You can go on the Alvarez website and look at the current Yairi models, it should give you some idea of how they indicate different models and the woods used.
You are correct with your explanation of the model numbers.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:58 PM

Default Yairi: The hidden jem!

I was turned on to Yairi in 2003 after my friend/relative bought a used 1994 814 Taylor. When I found out that Taylors have screwed in necks I said, "price points out the roof and screws instead of shims and detailed craftsmanship", not for me. So, I went to Edwards Music in Fayetteville, NC, my closest Yairi "hands on" dealer and was introduced to a DY 40CBK. Took my new Yairi to the next family gathering and everyone was asking, "what kind of guitar is that"? I already had a Breedlove Masterclass so I knew what quality was. Yes Martins, Taylors and on and on are great guitars. But, they come with a price, think Hefty Bag money, And the boutique companies, Santa Cruz, Collings are definitely worth the money. I have played against many of these and everyone is amazed at the sound of my Yairis.

Well, everyone was very impressed with the strong "mahogany" projection vs. the Rosewood of the Taylor. I researched the company, Kazou Yairi, factory tour on YouTube and it was on. I started to buy Rosewood back/side models and then it was really on! What a sleeper of a guitar. And the proprietary "lamination" of the back and sides with the same cut/piece of rosewood was like, "this can't be laminate" Price points that don't cause you to be placed in the doghouse, attention to detail, the Japanese are proud people, and the sound is heavenly.

I then bought a DY 84 C and the projection of the rosewood and high grade sitka spruce top was magical. I have the money to buy any guitar I want. I am always searching Reverb, ebay is loosing ground fast, and general searches. I have found many at Guitar Center fore a song. I do not currently own a "new" Yairi. I found a 2003 DY 84BR, Brazilian Rosewood, and my god, the sound that comes out of that monster is earth shattering.

So, you can tell I am partial, understatement, to the the Kazou Yairi era and since I own 7 as of the DY 80 Canyon Creek I just "stole" from Music Go Round tonight, my 12 string search has ended my acoustic quest. I will post some pics of my DY 90's and later, list my collection. Keep pickin' and grinin'!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion