The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _zedagive View Post
Nice playing, but it does actually sound like a $350 guitar.
Gotta agree, although the recording quality isn't doing it any favors.

IMO/IME, some of these inexpensive guitars are very good for the price. They may be all some folks need. While I'm attracted more to 'middle-priced' guitars, I have a couple of really inexpensive ones that are not in danger of being replaced any time soon, as they're 'good enough.'
Old 09-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I recently picked-up an Ibanez AC240-OPN that I had NO intentions of buying when I went into GC just to window-shop and pass some time. However, it impressed me so much, that I felt I had nothing to lose at $299.99. To my ear, it sounds as good as some similarly designed guitars costing 4x as much; HOWEVER--and it's a big however--it isn't in the same league as those I've owned/played costing 10x as much. Is the difference in characteristics worth the difference in cost? The only opinion that matters is the one who's shelling out the $$$.
Well put, and my experience is similar.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:35 PM

I cannot believe the quality of inexpensive guitars in this day and age. It's simply amazing. We live in a Golden Era of affordable instruments.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM

I like the all solid wood midrange stuff like Seagull SWS, Guild, upper end Yamaha, Alverez, Blueridge, Eastman, Larrivee, etc... but most of the stuff that costs less than that sounds like it costs less than that.

2008 Martin SWDGT
2003 Larrivée D-03R
2016 Ibanez AVD10
2016 Ibanez AW4000
2001 Liberty LIB100 Resonator
Old 09-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Default Budget Guitar equivalents that no one wants you to know about....

I’ve own a Yamaha FG730S from around 2005 that sounds amazing and plays amazingly. I also own a Gibson Adirondack Red Spruce AJ that was 10 times the price of the Yamaha. My wife says they sound ”different” and I agree but that AJ has some nuances and tonal characters that even my bad ears notice.
I guess The Yamaha FG730S would definitely be a budget standout.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:12 PM

I guess it's all in the ears of the person that's playing the guitars, but my son swears by my '80 Sigma DM-3.

My son is an amazing guitar player who can play a lot of styles with authority.

At the time I picked up the $99 DM-3, I had all these guitars in my collection.

'78 Gibson Gospel
'03 Taylor 515-CE Jumbo Custom
'05 Taylor 414-CE Fall Ltd.
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR
'96 Larrivee D-05

All these guitars are WAY more expensive than the Sigma DM-3, but my son swears it's the most balanced and pleasing tone of the bunch.

I still have all the guitars listed above except the Larrivee. I got rid of it since it only cost my $207 and was the most lifeless of the bunch.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 09-24-2017, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
The Blueridge guitars always make me smile. If I wanted to start an argument, I'd say that they can sometimes out-Martin Martin. But I don't, so I won't.
There is a m/f duo that play a Martin D28 and a Blueridge BG 40 or 140 (?) Gibson Jumbo style. that Blueridge beats every Gibson Jumbo I've seen on our stage.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Guest316

Considering that tone is largely a matter of personal taste, wouldn't this conversation be endless? In the tone department, I would rate my (old) Gibson Hummingbird Pro as "better" than my 1/5th the cost Epiphone EJ-200 -- but not 5 times better. In nearly every other comparison, including feel, playability, construction, neck shape, electronics, balance, tuners, finish, appearance, etc. I like the Epi more. For someone looking for practicality, inexpensive knockoffs are perfectly capable instruments that I frequently prefer. I think we're living in a time where many less expensive instruments compare very favorably, although it's difficult for many to understand. If a guitarist just limits themselves to expensive instruments, or to one specific brand of guitar, that's ok -- we're adults and are able to make our own decisions. But in many ways we limit ourselves by not experiencing the rest of what is offered in this field.

Last edited by Guest316; 09-24-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Shhh.. $350 guitar played below (not me playing, I wish, lol - in my signature is me playing a $425 guitar {used})

Problem with judging an inexpensive guitar by how the Blues sounds on it is that it just has to sound like a bad 1930s recording to sound right.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Apples vs. Oranges

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've played an Epiphone AJ-45 that I swear sounds just like Martin's Whiskey Sunset and certain Waterloo guitars. The Epi is considerably less.
I have wondered if, on forums devoted to car aficionados, they have discussions about how a Hyundai Elantra can drive just like a Lexus LS.

Of course, YMMV!

Last edited by Purfle Haze; 09-24-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:03 PM

OK if someone offered you a free Goodall, Santa Cruz etc. etc or a $350 guitar, you would take the cheap one because it sounds so much better, right?
Old 09-24-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
OK if someone offered you a free Goodall, Santa Cruz etc. etc or a $350 guitar, you would take the cheap one because it sounds so much better, right?
Not even close to the op intent Paul. Go find a Seagull or Blueridge dread to play.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-24-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I believe the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies to acoustics. The higher dollar stuff is better, IMO, but justifying paying $3k instead of $1k when both instruments are excellent is something I don't do.

I also believe it is easier to get away with lesser dollar electric guitars, but again I do notice differences in the high end stuff. It is just better, most of the time. I wish it wasn't, but it is IMO.

I played a brand new Epiphone EJ-200 the other day and was impressed. For $400 it was a lot of guitar.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:51 PM

Blue ridge
Eastman

I promise you that epiphone AJ-45 isn't even close to the tone of a waterloo. Completely inferior.

Paul is right.

If someone offered you a waterloo jumbo king or a epiphone AJ-45 you'd take the Waterloo every time.

If you don't you are tone deaf. Not to mention one plays like an expensive guitar, the other feels much cheaper.

Waterloo jumbo king
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9eLF1gY5Q_k

Cheap epiphone
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9sIAr8mmQ

Last edited by grinningbanjo53; 09-24-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Default I'll take..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Martin D-42's sound almost as good as a D-45 for a lot less.
I'll take a 42 over a 45 anyway...they have different bracing and I like the 42 bracing better....the 41 is the same as a 45 but with less bling....I've never played a 41 I like and never played a 42 that I didn't want to bring home!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion