The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM

Default Why don't companies torrify all of the wood?

Just curious - companies torrify the braces and tops, but I never read about them cooking the back and sides. In all the golden era Martins, all of the wood aged over time, not just the top. I think the back and side wood affect guitar tone as well.

Anyone know why, besides being costly?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

It's coming. Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dalton and Taylor have all built guitars with torrefied back and sides. So far they've made cooked mahogany and maple guitars. Rosewoods have a lot more oil naturally, so the process has to be modified. We know that some of the builders are working toward the perfect fully-cooked guitar.

Acoustic Music Works
Guitars, Banjos, Mandolins & Good Company

A top dealer for Collings, Huss & Dalton, Kevin Kopp, Baleno Instruments, Eastman, Pisgah Banjos, OME and ODE Banjos, Northfield Mandolins, and more!

(412) 422-0710
www.acousticmusicworks.com

Friend us on Facebook!
Follow us on Twitter!
Check out our YouTube channel!
Old 08-06-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D28A1941 View Post
Just curious - companies torrify the braces and tops, but I never read about them cooking the back and sides. In all the golden era Martins, all of the wood aged over time, not just the top. I think the back and side wood affect guitar tone as well.

Anyone know why, besides being costly?
Since most of the tone comes from the top and braces, it makes sense to work on those parts first, but several well known builders have been experimenting with torrifying other parts as well, in an attempt to further enhance tone. Some attempts made a difference, while some did not. But while it may or may not make a difference, torrified parts can still be a strong selling point, so don't be surprised if you see them everywhere in a few years. In fact, I would not be surprised to see a $299 Yamaha with a torrified top in the near future.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:50 PM

invest in torrefied bridge pins - you heard it here first.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:56 PM

Default Why don't companies torrify all of the wood?

Takamine just introduced to dreadnought models that are torrefy. I look forward to trying soon
Old 08-06-2015, 01:59 PM

They are out there. I have seen, played and ???? a torrefied East Indian Rosewood guitar. It had a Red Spruce top that was cooked also.

I know the builder has built 2 of the guitars and both of them are special IMO.
How much the torrefaction has to do with that? I cannot answer. But they were very good.

For some reason the builder was trying to be very secretive about his work so therefore I will not share his name. But needless to say, they are coming!

Randy
Old 08-06-2015, 02:02 PM

Cool Am I the Only One?

Am I alone in thinking that this is no replacement for the natural aging process.

That say after 20 years a torrified guitar will not sound comparable to a guitar that aged naturally?

Am I the only one terrified of torrified (and other attempts to unnaturally apply "age" to a guitar)?

LostDog
Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 PM

Old 08-06-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostDog View Post
Am I alone in thinking that this is no replacement for the natural aging process.

That say after 20 years a torrified guitar will not sound comparable to a guitar that aged naturally?

Am I the only one terrified of torrified (and other attempts to unnaturally apply "age" to a guitar)?

LostDog
I think the issue is when a whole guitar ages and gets used there is also a lot of mechanical wear and tear that ultimately leads to weakening of many of the components. The key is in using properly aged/seasoned tonewood to start with, but obviously the supply of that is very small. Wise young luthiers who invest in a large inventory of tonewoods when they start out, then can build top instruments toward the end of their career, or if they are lucky can take over a good stash when a mentor retires. The torrefying process is thought to replace this natural aging for mass production at the factory level. It remains to be seen how well these instruments hold up over time though.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:25 PM

All my guitars are getting torrefied.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
That, plus I plan to torrefy audiences, as well - put them in a vacuum and subject them to controlled high temperatures in order to make sure they get evenly desiccated.

Remember, the best audience is a fully-baked audience!!

Wade Hampton "Torrefaction For Fun And Profit" Miller
Old 08-06-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That, plus I plan to torrefy audiences, as well - put them in a vacuum and subject them to controlled high temperatures in order to make sure they get evenly desiccated.

Remember, the best audience is a fully-baked audience!!

Wade Hampton "Torrefaction For Fun And Profit" Miller
well, some of my favorite music listening experiences were when i was fully baked. some of my favorite gastronomic experiences as well.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
well, some of my favorite music listening experiences were when i was fully baked. some of my favorite gastronomic experiences as well.
Say what?!?

˚˚˚

Wade Hampton "Dave?......Dave's Not Here!" Miller
Old 08-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Say what?!?

˚˚˚

Wade Hampton "Dave?......Dave's Not Here!" Miller
I remember when Cheech and Chong were the crazy stoner dudes in the movies. Now they look like subdued next door neighbors.

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 08-06-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I suggest that idea a while back, and I do hope they do it. Torrefied wood is lighter, and it's basic physics that a change in the mass of the bridge will have a tonal effect. The point of contention is simply whether that difference is large enough to be audible.

And even if you can't hear the difference from bridge pins, there is still the fact that torrefied wood is less susceptible to humidity changes. That means less chance of cracking your bridge if for some reason you are stuck in a humid environment, while still having the pleasing look of wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion