The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ in FL View Post
What are your learned thoughts on what is one of the best CROSSOVER
nylon string models?

Takamine TC 135 SC is a reference point...has many of features I would like as 1 7/8" nut...list about $2k--street for $1450 range.
I do need to stick to NYLON due to arthritis in hands.
I owned a Taylor NS-32, but it did not last due to lack of volume.
Have head the "new" Taylor nylons are better?

Might even consider going to classical body, even with 2" nut. Hard to find shops with more expensive NYLON models, since that is such a small part of the retail marketplace.

Don't need the quality electronics, like the Tak has, since will not be playing out, but would not be adverse to electronics or cut-away models.

Appreciate you suggestions.

I'm looking at either a Kenny Hill New World Player (with standard nut with) $1700 or a Cervantes Crossover 2 (standard nut width) $3500. I just wish I could play the two side by side. The Cervantes looks fabulous. I had an older Hill Munich I loved, but I want a cutaway that is a hybrid of tone between flamenco and classical.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:25 AM

I have a KH Player with cedar top - couldn't be happier with it. Guitar teacher was impressed with the tone
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I've followed this thread since the OP started it but didn't have much to offer. The Taylor crossover I have is un-satisfactory so I wouldn't recommend it and didn't have an alternative to suggest until yesterday.

I stopped by my favorite guitar pusher (Acoustic Vibes Music in Tempe, AZ) and went to the "nylon" room to look at a Flamenco I saw on their web site. While there I couldn't help but look at the other offerings, particularly anything with a 2" nut width. Yea, I'm another of those old geezers with arthritis and can't handle the standard 52mm width.

Anyway, a very nice looking guitar caught my eye because it had the desired width. Turned out to be a Goodall that he calls a crossover. Wow! the neck profile, shallow radius and width at the nut were perfect for me and the sound was as good as any nylon stringed guitar I've ever played.

Since the OP asked about "the best" crossover I would have to give a enthusiastic vote to the Goodall offerings. Too expensive for me but I would think the best is not going to come at a bargain price.

YMMV,
Dave
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM

You might want to take a look at a recent crossover I made http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=323743
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 PM

I would not say that it is the best crossover, but my Taylor 714 Nylon has everything I wanted. Unplugged, it's a little quiet but has a sweet voice, and plugged in it's got an incredibly warm tone (cedar top). I didn't do an exhaustive search, so I can't compare to others. It's my gigging guitar, so to me, its that good
Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Some good suggestions here - I have a Kenny Hill crossover that I bought from him at his Santa Cruz shop about 8 years ago. There are so many more to choose from now. I love mine and have played several of his less expensive models which are also nice. The Cervantes are really nice as well. The Taylor ones I have played never really floated my boat, but I have a music friend who has one and loves it.

Good luck on your search and I hope you get to play a bunch so you can find what suits your particular tone and playability preferences.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical