The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM

Default Nylon parlor

Just thought I'd share some nylon strung parlor vibe:

http://www.stevetoon.co.uk/shop/prod...hp?id=15&cat=1

Being a lover of both nylon strings and parlor sized guitars, I just had to show this.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:45 AM

Looks like a cool guitar.

I'm curious though - what is the appeal of a nylon string parlor vs. a nice classical guitar? (Maybe if were to play this guitar I would understand.)
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Looks like a cool guitar.

I'm curious though - what is the appeal of a nylon string parlor vs. a nice classical guitar? (Maybe if were to play this guitar I would understand.)
Personal preference really - and/or perhaps some period music intentions.

For a try, see if any of your local music shops have a La Patrie Motif or Art and Lutherie Ami Nylon. Both of these guitars (both made by Godin) are parlor sized, nylon strung.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Personal preference really - and/or perhaps some period music intentions.

For a try, see if any of your local music shops have a La Patrie Motif or Art and Lutherie Ami Nylon. Both of these guitars (both made by Godin) are parlor sized, nylon strung.
I've played a number of different La Patrie classicals (probably including the Motif, but I'm not certain). They are great guitars for the money (and the best inexpensive classicals I have played), but they don't compare to a nice Spanish made classical. A nice classical just sings. A nice classical guitar is a beautiful thing. It is hard to imagine a nylon string parlor being better, but again, maybe if I played a nice one like in your initial post I'd understand the appeal.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 AM

I never claimed that a nylon parlor was better than a full size classical - I was just pointing out that I really like nylon strung parlor guitars.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:42 AM

That is a lovely looking guitar. I'd love to try the 48mm neck model. Thanks for sharing, Bryan.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

That looks really nice - thanks for sharing. I am also a fan of parlors and nylon strings. I was fortunate enough to find a used Kenny Hill Torres 1856 from his master series. It is 13 3/16" across the lower bout and has a 640mm scale length and is every bit a classical guitar. I was worried about the 51mm nut width but the neck profile is quite shallow and very comfortable.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I never claimed that a nylon parlor was better than a full size classical - I was just pointing out that I really like nylon strung parlor guitars.
Sorry, I wasn't intending to be sounding like I was arguing. Just trying to understand the appeal.

I guess the body size of a parlor is a bit smaller than a typical classical (?) and the neck is a little narrower? So this would be sort of a "crossover" guitar I guess.

I imagine a nicely built one is very nice. It would be fun to play a really good one and see how it sounds, and how it feels to play.

I have been impressed by some of the parlor guitars I have played (which were all steel string). I played a nice (and expensive) Martin parlor a few years ago that was very surprising - an amazingly powerful voice. And Charlie Hoffman had a parlor he had built in his shop the last time I was in there that was similarly surprising. Hoffman's parlor, though steel string, felt remarkably like a classical guitar to play. I liked it a lot.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
happiness

Nice looking parlour. I played one of Steve Toon's parlours at the Cheltenham Guitar show a few years ago and really liked it, but that was the steel string variety. Nice to see a nylon parlour

Fliss
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcap View Post
Sorry, I wasn't intending to be sounding like I was arguing. Just trying to understand the appeal.

I guess the body size of a parlor is a bit smaller than a typical classical (?) and the neck is a little narrower? So this would be sort of a "crossover" guitar I guess.

I imagine a nicely built one is very nice. It would be fun to play a really good one and see how it sounds, and how it feels to play.

I have been impressed by some of the parlor guitars I have played (which were all steel string). I played a nice (and expensive) Martin parlor a few years ago that was very surprising - an amazingly powerful voice. And Charlie Hoffman had a parlor he had built in his shop the last time I was in there that was similarly surprising. Hoffman's parlor, though steel string, felt remarkably like a classical guitar to play. I liked it a lot.
No worries I understand what you are saying. I haven't had the pleasure in playing a very high end parlor. The best parlor I have played was a Seagull Grand Artist model. Though it wasn't the highest price tag, it was still a very nice sounding and playing little guitar.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the post!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM

That Toon is a beautiful guitar! I've been quite smitten with all things parlor for quite some time. While I love a good dread, I have always (well, in the 40 some years I've been playing!) had a soft spot for teeny guitars. I traded for a 1956 0-18 Martin back in 77 or so and that started it. I was amazed at the wonderful tone and how it hung in there with my buddies D-35.

I'm a big fella, so I always get comments about how small a parlor appears while I'm playing.

Currently, the only parlor I have is the lovely, little La Partrie Motif, but hope to add a steel string parlor to the fold in the near future.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just thought I'd share some nylon strung parlor vibe:

http://www.stevetoon.co.uk/shop/prod...hp?id=15&cat=1

Being a lover of both nylon strings and parlor sized guitars, I just had to show this.
Wow... what a beautiful little guitar! Would LOVE to have one.

I used to be all about big, loud guitars. My only steel strings were dreads and my classicals had to be loud as well. But the older I get, the more I love small, comfortable, easy-to-hold and play, sweet-sounding guitars. I guess I'll have to add nylon-string parlor guitar to my list of wants. Seems like they'd be fun to play simple rennaissance lute tunes on.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
That Toon is a beautiful guitar! I've been quite smitten with all things parlor for quite some time. While I love a good dread, I have always (well, in the 40 some years I've been playing!) had a soft spot for teeny guitars. I traded for a 1956 0-18 Martin back in 77 or so and that started it. I was amazed at the wonderful tone and how it hung in there with my buddies D-35.

I'm a big fella, so I always get comments about how small a parlor appears while I'm playing.

Currently, the only parlor I have is the lovely, little La Partrie Motif, but hope to add a steel string parlor to the fold in the near future.
There are currently several very affordable and decent sounding steel string parlors on the market, Poppa. If you're liking your Motif, Seagull has their Grand parlor sized steel string. Then there is also the Art and Lutherie Ami. There are several other makers as well but wanted to mention these as they are made by the same company that makes your La Patrie Motif.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Wow... what a beautiful little guitar! Would LOVE to have one.

I used to be all about big, loud guitars. My only steel strings were dreads and my classicals had to be loud as well. But the older I get, the more I love small, comfortable, easy-to-hold and play, sweet-sounding guitars. I guess I'll have to add nylon-string parlor guitar to my list of wants. Seems like they'd be fun to play simple rennaissance lute tunes on.
The older I get I find this to be true as well, Red Label.

For a decent affordable nylon parlor, look into the La Patrie Motif and the Art and Lutherie Ami Nylon. Both quite affordable and nice sounding guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical