The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Default Yamaha Crossover NTX700 and NTX1200R

Anyone played both of these? I've played the NTX700 and I really liked it, but didn't have any other cross overs to compare it to. I am also looking at the Yamaha NTX1200R. The problem is I know the wood combos are going to sound different. I can't find the the NTX1200R anywhere.

I would just get the NTX700, but I'm partial to solid wood guitars and I just can't wrap my head around nato on the NTX700. Nato isn't even a wood is it? I guess I'll go research nato. One plus is that even though the NTX700 is cheaper and not solid wood it does have the same nice pick-up system.

If anyone has had experience with these two guitars let me know your impressions.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:45 AM

NTX1200R has become the only Nylon string I use when playing live, particularly when playing with a band. It sounds great plugged in. My partner uses her NTX700 on stage. Also sounds great. However I do prefer the 1200R wood combination, and I can still hear the difference plugged in.

I keep my Taylor NS62ce mostly for studio recording, as I find it sounds fantastic when recorded with a great mic as well as direct.

Kronbauer TDK MJ
Taylor GC6
Taylor NS62ce
Gibson J-45 Rosewood Modern Classic
DiGiorgio Classic 28-1975
Digiorgio Guarany C2-1979
Washburn R 314K
Fender Telecaster '73
Feneder Stratocaster
Tacoma Thunder Chief Acoustic Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Daddy Mojo C5 Cigar Box
Kamoa Custom Shop 700 T Uke
Kamoa FM-T Uke
Martin Style 0 1944 Uke
Kala Acacia Tenor Uke
Washburn Banjolele
Old 12-14-2010, 02:18 PM

I have a ntx 700 and am quite pleased with the tone, playability and workmanship. I have a number of guitars that are mostly all solid and find it sometimes hard to really tell the advantages other than a "must have" solid top. They are all different and you have to go with what you like (needless to say).

Here's a description of nato:

"Nato is a South American hard wood, similar to mahogany. It's the current "budget" wood. That doesn't mean that it is a bad or cheap wood. At one time, mahogany was considered the cheap alternative, and nobody knew how well it would do in the long run. Now mahogony is considered a 'fine' wood. Could Nato be the next mahogany? Only time will tell.

The Nato tree is usually 100 to 120 ft high and 2 to 3 ft in diameter, with clear boles 60 ft and more above very large buttresses that may extend 15 ft up the trunk. Nato trees of 160 to 200 ft high and 4 ft in diameter are reported.

The Wood's General Characteristics: Heartwood yellowish red brown, reddish brown or dark red with paler streaks, sapwood 2 to 6 in. wide, distinct, yellowish to pale brown. Texture moderately fine to rather coarse, rather harsh to the feel; luster medium to high; grain is straight to commonly interlocked, very variable; astringent taste and slightly sour odor."

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you like the 700, I would say go with it-but what do I know-lol.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sari View Post
NTX1200R has become the only Nylon string I use when playing live, particularly when playing with a band. It sounds great plugged in. My partner uses her NTX700 on stage. Also sounds great. However I do prefer the 1200R wood combination, and I can still hear the difference plugged in.

I keep my Taylor NS62ce mostly for studio recording, as I find it sounds fantastic when recorded with a great mic as well as direct.
When you perform with the NTX1200R are you doing any strumming? I'm looking at the nylon crossovers because I want a different sound to choose from when I play. I want to strum and fingerstyle. I have a classical guitar for playing classical music so I have no plans of using the NTX for that.

What was the difference plugged in that you noticed? They have the same pickup system. I'm guessing the difference in the woods is the biggest thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJScott View Post
I have a ntx 700 and am quite pleased with the tone, playability and workmanship. I have a number of guitars that are mostly all solid and find it sometimes hard to really tell the advantages other than a "must have" solid top. They are all different and you have to go with what you like (needless to say).

Good luck with whatever you decide. If you like the 700, I would say go with it-but what do I know-lol.
I prefer mahogany over rosewood generally, but just didn't have a good feeling about Nato. I really like Yamaha's guitars so I was very pleased with the sound of the NTX700 and was surprised at how well it sounded being so thin. As I find out more about Nato I feel less apprehensive. I can afford the NTX1200R I just don't know if I'll like the way it sounds. Wish I could compare them side-by-side.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 12-14-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I had my heart set on a NTX1200, and my local GC had a NTX700. I demo'd the 700 to see if I wanted to order a 1200. It reminded me of my former Taylor NS42ce except for the neck. Acoustically is was a little muted and physically felt heavy. Neither was enough to turn me off until I felt the string spacing. What got me was how far the strings set back from the fretboard edge. No biggie on the treble side but on the bass side I had trouble with the thumb over. All debating aside, I use the thumb over and have no difficulty on thin necked classicals, but on the NTX, it was difficult. I actually went online to view images and videos to make it was not just a single guitar issue; it is consistant on the model 700 and 1200.
These are nice 14fret guitars, it just wasn't for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:31 PM

That is good to know. I'll have to play it more next time I'm at the music store. I use the thumb over too so I'll be sure to play a song where I have to do that.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 AM

I went through this route of deciding between 700, 1200r & taylor ns24. There is noticeable difference between 700 & 1200r. 1200r has clearer tone & 700 sounds a bit muted. However I found the taylor has much better tone, playability & bass (probably because it has a bigger body). Both the yamaha models had actions set too high and I find there were riffs that I couldnt play as smoothly as on the taylor. I really had wanted the 1200r for its all-solid specs & affordability, but after much auditioning, I bought the taylor ns24.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 AM

I played the 700 again for a longer period of time. The string spacing is cramped and almost uneccessarily so because the fretboard is so wide. Both e strings are set kinda far away from the edge. I found my fingers hitting other strings when chording. I had no problems playing the few classical pieces, but that is not its intended use. The string spacing is also cramped at the bridge too so no NTX for me.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM

I have Yamaha NTX900 and I think it's good compromise between 700 and 1200 models.
It's easy to play, good action, good sound (plugged or unplugged) even with basic 700 model.
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 12-22-2010, 10:44 AM

Hmmm, after reading all the posts here, I have re-thought the NTX. I too have difficulty with the thumb wrap and really need to curl my wrist (maybe not the correct description) to not mute strings. I think it is all due to the "chunky" neck shape because neither are an issue with my La Patrie Motif which has a wider, less chunky neck. I had the Motif at a different location and hadn't played it for a while, but got a chance to play it last weekend and I really think it blew the NTX away in tone too. I have smallish hands which I am sure is part of the issues above. I don't play plugged in so the electronics don't really matter to me. Looks like the NTX will be up for sale after the holidays.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Default NTX1200R - first (and last) impressions

I've got my 1200R today.

Good impressions:
- acoustically it sounds ok. It's not deep, but better than 700th and 900th models
- plugged in - good sound, not quaky at all
- Look & Feel, and Quality - I like to touch this guitar :-)

Bad impressions:
- Thumb wrapping. I played 700th and 900th models in a music shop, but didn't feel that issue there. Now with my 1200r I feel that and it is quite inconvenient
- String spacing. I am not strumming, I need more space between the strings. This is the most significant issue.

Conclusion.
I've decided to return this guitar and buy a "more" classical guitar (2"-wide neck, 12-fret, with cutaway and pickup).

Qustion:
Which classical guitar in $800-900 price range would you recommend?

Last edited by vbakh; 12-23-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Depends on what you play...

I played the NTX700, and it's not a bad sounding guitar at all for a "crossover" guitar. I'd even say that I prefer it over my Takamine CD132SC, but the Takamine is a "traditional" classical guitar.
Having said that, I did try other "crossover" guitars at GC, and there are other brands that sounded better (to my ears) than the NTX700.
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical