The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM

His style........... unorthodox......... or Neil Young style.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM

one of the most underrated players of our time........I never understood that either
Old 09-21-2010, 07:16 PM

I like the right hand style he has, it's pretty easy to replicate, but it's one of those things you find yourself doing all the time if you don't watch it!

He's a good acoustic player, for sure.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 09-21-2010, 07:42 PM

In my opinion, Neil Young is the most original (in a positive way!) acoustic guitarist ever--and such a great songwriter--especially his early stuff. I just don't know anyone that plays like him, with all the palm mutings, hammer-ons, etc. But his style is not just original--it is also very appealing and musical. He is one of the top three guitarists (the others being Ian Anderson and Cat Stevens) that really inspired me to play. Check out the Massey Hall live album which I think is his greatest album (yep, even better than Harvest) and one of the greatest solo acoustic recordings of all time. Hard to believe this was buried in a vault until quite recently. Anyway, thanks for all the great music Neil!

--Ian Anderson

Martin Custom D28 Italian Alpine Spruce
Martin HD-16RLSH
Taylor 310CE
Taylor 354CE 12-string
CA Cargo
Old 09-22-2010, 04:52 AM

Default Neil is King

My wife and I flew across country a couple of years ago to see Neil perform in a small theatre in Boston.
It was a musical experience I will never forget, simply brilliant !!

The first half of the show was solo acoustic guitar and some piano, and the second half he had his band.
I hope to see him again some day.
Carvin nylon string acoustic
Deering Maple Blossom banjo
Old 09-22-2010, 06:39 AM

I'm glad to hear that people are as impressed as I am. Any place or tutorial where palm-muting technique is explained? I do it some but would love to hear how others do...

Also, any interviews with Neil you've come across that talk about it and his guitars?

Cheers,

Eric

2011 Martin HD28
2006 Seagull S6 Cedar
2005 Yamaha FG750S
Old 09-22-2010, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

I would love to see Neil unplugged in an intimate setting- seen him a few times but mostly in large concerts with a band.... He has tons of mojo- fantastic voice- and seems unchanged by the passing years...
My favorite concert was CSN in a tiny unpluggeg setting about 18 years back-no Neil though-.....When I sing and play without trying to sound like anything... Neil is about what comes out... I like that. LOL-
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecw21 View Post
I'm glad to hear that people are as impressed as I am. Any place or tutorial where palm-muting technique is explained? I do it some but would love to hear how others do...
Eric
In my experience, it comes along with years of practicing. I use the edge of my picking hand to muffle certain strings. Out on the Weekend (Harvest) is a good simple song he plays using a lot of muting.

It's been so long, but I guess I remember learning the chords very well, concentrated on picking with good technique, then implement the edge-of-the-hand muting after you can pcik and cross-pick well. However, I'm no instructor...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

An OK player, no better than that.
But a world class songwriter and an even better listen as a storyteller.
They once asked Stills who the most talented among all of them was - he said it wasn't even close.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 09-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Massey Hall, 1971...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7letrMf_nE
That's one reason I like Neil's playing. I have many other favourite moments but this song from this album really is too much.

It's really amazing hearing a whole album of just him and a guitar or piano. The Massey Hall CD is nothing but! Stunning sound quality and mine was packaged with the cd and dvd.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Like some others here, Neil Young and many of the groups he played in were the songs I learned when I was in college.

About 20 years ago I saw him and he was doing all electric in that concert series...my hearing is still not right. There is such and interesting oddity in that for an acoustic player...he is a dead-on hard rock and roller.

As for his acoustic style; I love it as I mostly play solo my living room. As a result when I play his stuff it is full of all sorts of soft chords with a couple of bangers for the last couple of bars...all the while using the strumming hand to control a percussion element.

If you watch PBS during the pledge drive, they usually will play a concert that was done in England maybe in the 1970s...it is really nice and shows all that talent early on.

Lastly, for people that are younger; don't do a Greatest Hits CD to get his songs...buy the whole album. There will be songs on the individual CDs that won't make it onto something that is pulling two songs from 7 albums; those songs will be some real gems.

Collings CJ-Rosewood/Sitka Sunburst
Martin 000-18 12-Fret Custom Shop
Martin OM-John Mayer
Larrievee LV10 Koa Custom
Martin D-18V
Martin D28-12
Gibson ES-369
Gretsch--6120 Tiger Maple
Eastman 805CE Archtop
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
one of the most underrated players of our time........I never understood that either
I don't know if he is underrated but he is certainly one of the most influential. Just look and listen to all the musicians he has influenced... simply mind boggling
One of my favorite all time shows was seeing Neil Young and Stephen Stills together two nights in a row back in the 70's. A set of electric followed by acoustic, together, solo, back together, more electric...what a thrill! Both nights were made up of different sets- What they played electric one night they played acoustic the next.

Watching those two trade riffs in an electric sets made me really appreciate what distinctive styles both players had and opened the door to all kinds of approaches to the guitar for me.

I’m not sure if we want to head down this road but my all time favorite Neil album has got to be On The Beach...with Times Fade Away a close second. Of course including all the bootlegs and live releases there are sooooooooooo many to choose from.

P.S. If You haven’t read the book Shakey... Your missing out on a great Neil experience.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested

Last edited by Feste; 09-22-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
An OK player, no better than that.
Ok man... would love to hear a playoff between you and him...
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Neil Young is one of those artists whom I feel I should like and admire based on his reputation, but I just can't. I've never heard him play or sing anything that appealed to me in the least. I have friends who think he's one of the greatest of all time and I just don't see it. When I think of great guitar players, he probably wouldn't make my top 100. Just my opinion...

No doubt he can play guitar better than me, but I don't think that disqualifies me from saying I don't like his work. I don't like Lebron James, either, but I probably can't beat him at a game of horse.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 09-22-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsDad View Post
Also...don't worry too much about having your guitar in tune before you begin.
I don't believe I've ever heard Neil play out of tune. Can you give me an example?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion