The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 01:40 AM

Everybody already know Steve Goodman recorded a version on his first album, right?
Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
Everybody already know Steve Goodman recorded a version on his first album, right?
That one is not my favorite version of the song. It is a bit too upbeat for the lyrics of the song. Holstein has said that he was influenced by Nelson Algren's book, "The Man with the Golden Arm," which is not a happy story.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Hi, as promised (or should it be threatened) I dug my copy of this song out of my files and had a go at it.
I believe that I used to doing it in B , now it needed to be down to F!

I know my voice isn't up to snuff, (I've had a little mouth/throat infection which goes with post cancer treatment), and my hands are still recovering from the hand surgery which stopped me playing for two/three weeks, but you shouldn't let such things beat you yeah?

So here is a humble offering to Ed's fine number "Jazzman" I hope you don't hate it.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:11 AM

Very nice, thanks SM!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:49 PM

Excellent rendition, SM! Thanks for posting it.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

In Chicago folk music circles Ed was widely regarded as the shrewd one among the brothers. Fred was very good looking and had a beautiful voice, but he was also a very volatile guy who could and would lash out if you happened to annoy him anytime after 8 pm. All of us on that scene quickly learned to stay well away from Fred when he was sitting at the bar, which basically meant whenever he was in the room.

Ed, on the other hand, always seemed sober and in control, and was pleasant in a “don’t waste my time” businesslike way. Not a lot of persiflage, but not even remotely as easy to anger as his brother.

Wade Hampton Miller

I frequented Holstein's in the mid-late 70's (I parked my yellow VW convertible across the street on Lincoln Ave) and always enjoyed the music...even when Fred would be playing/drinking. He was a great talent but, as you stated, easily annoyed.I loved his rendition of Freight Train.

Ed always seemed so serious, but very talented as well.

Thanks for sparking the memories!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 03-22-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
I loved his rendition of Freight Train.

Ed always seemed so serious, but very talented

Here's a recent vid of him doing Freight Train. His monologue on those early days is hilarious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVHegZUlCxA

Old 03-22-2019, 06:10 PM

...and doing Jazzman for an audience that gets it:

Old 03-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Those were the days, early to mid 1970s in Chicago for acoustic music. Came across this interview about John Prine wanting to write a song with Ed.
"Prine was walking with Eddie and he was asking Prine about writing a song together—which Prine had been known to do with Steve Goodman—with whom he wrote The 20th Century Is Almost Over —based on the Lead Belly spiritual Meeting At the Building (Soon Be Over) well before it was almost over. So Prine asked Holstein what he had in mind. Eddie replied, “How about something about old people~ and how they become isolated and alone?” Prine thought it over and said, “Well, I think I’ve already written that song (Hello In There), and I doubt I have anything more to say on the subject.” So Holstein replied, “Well, why don’t you suggest something?” Prine thought about it and said, “Well, how about a song about a woman who feels a lot older than she is?” Holstein said he didn’t see anything there that he could feel his way into. So Prine thanked him for his time and went back home and wrote Angel From Montgomery."
Timing is everything!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion