The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2019, 06:53 PM

Default Taylor Grand Concert models get V-bracing

Along with the big launch of the new Grand Pacific body style, Taylor has quietly put a number of V-braced GC models up on their website.

Right now it looks to be 800, 500, and 300 series models, in both 14-fret and 12-fret configuration, with, and without cutaways. Trim and woods appear to be staying the same on these, with V-braced GC models getting the same appointments the GA models received last year.

Not seeing any limited edition models — which makes sense with the new body shape launching and taking most of the attention. Maybe this summer?

I’d love to see a 12-fret GC model with the same appointments as the new Builder’s Edition Grand Pacific models. Something like that could bump the Waterloo WL-K out of the top spot of my “current guitar crush” list.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:48 AM

Wow nice find. The previous bracing had such great bass response that it really made the GC series great IMO. I wonder how the v-class sounds...
Old 01-25-2019, 11:22 AM

I’m going to be lazy here and ask without first searching: how would you (or anyone with experience who cares to comment) describe the V bracing’s affect on tone as opposed to either Taylor’s traditional bracing on the same models, or other builders’ “standard” bracing, whatever that may be?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:54 AM

I had the chance of comparing two identical Taylor models (800 series) one with the old bracing, one with the V bracing. The main difference was: the guitar with V bracing had less bass, especially the low E. I wasn't good enough to perceive other differences. It still remains a mistery to me why Taylor launched the V bracing like a sort of re-invention of the acoustic guitar...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I had the chance of comparing two identical Taylor models (800 series) one with the old bracing, one with the V bracing. The main difference was: the guitar with V bracing had less bass, especially the low E. I wasn't good enough to perceive other differences. It still remains a mistery to me why Taylor launched the V bracing like a sort of re-invention of the acoustic guitar...
You need to play them again. I played two 814ce's with X and V bracing in a local store last year and found the V bracing had more low end and more volume. Looking forward to tryin the new V 12's.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
I’m going to be lazy here and ask without first searching: how would you (or anyone with experience who cares to comment) describe the V bracing’s affect on tone as opposed to either Taylor’s traditional bracing on the same models, or other builders’ “standard” bracing, whatever that may be?
comparing the x and v, many people, including myself, found the X braced guitars to sound more fuller and more bass rich. That's not to say the V class guitars have no bass-its relative.

The potential issue might arise on how the V class does on the GCs. The GCs, by nature of their dimensions, are already treble heavy, and the brightest of the Taylors
Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 AM

The mahogany-topped GCs seemingly tame some of that treble shimmer. And the 12 frets seem to have a deeper bass voice, thus providing balance to my perception. So maybe the V-Brace 12-Fret GCs with mahogany tops are the new hidden gems for me. The New GP is getting all the love with video reviews from NAMM so far...but I can’t wait to play and compare. In Bob and Andy we trust.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennm View Post
The mahogany-topped GCs seemingly tame some of that treble shimmer. And the 12 frets seem to have a deeper bass voice, thus providing balance to my perception. So maybe the V-Brace 12-Fret GCs with mahogany tops are the new hidden gems for me. The New GP is getting all the love with video reviews from NAMM so far...but I can’t wait to play and compare. In Bob and Andy we trust.
Check out the 12-fret GCs with the previous bracing (2016-2017). Really sweet.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Check out the 12-fret GCs with the previous bracing (2016-2017). Really sweet.
I agree totally, at least for my '16 12 fret 812E.
It is the only smaller guitar I've played that has bass depth and power close to that of a good dread. It is also quite loud, but sweet and full sounding. Playing comfort is off the charts, the key for me and my 70 year old wrist.
Pretty close to a perfect combination.
I'd like to play the new bracing, but I have zero motivation to trade away my 812.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:35 AM

Instead of less bass, it just might be that the Elixirs are not a great match anymore.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuv View Post
The tone debate has been ongoing since the V bracing first came out and I'd caution you to accept anyone's description. Not that they're wrong, but it's hard to know what someone's frame of reference is for judging tone.

I tried out the 812 V when they first came out at a roadshow and came away impressed by how accurate the notes sounding up past the 5th fret. That what would sell me on buying a 322 12 fret V which I now notice is up for sale in March, but not yet on Taylor's web site.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:59 PM

I'll be interested to hear if there are any differences between the x-brace 812 and the v-braced 812 other than the bracing. For example, the Guitar Center site shows the 812 v-brace dlx 12-fret having Gotoh tuners and I don't recall the x-brace 12 having that. Maybe that is a typo.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:48 PM

A Taylor with "less bass" doesn't seem like something the public has been needing. Nor would I think Martin would do well by bracing it's offerings to project increased bass.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion