The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 03:10 PM

Default Thoughts on "Open Mic" nights?

I have seen a trend locally over the past couple of years that has me concerned. Several of the local venues have abandoned booking bands, and are holding "open mic nights" instead. These bars aren't my normal clientele anyway (they never did pay enough for my groups, and they had traditionally been good venues for new groups and garage bands), but it got my attention when a couple of friends asked if I would come join them and play a few tunes. These guys mostly don't play any real paying gigs, so they just see it as a fun time with buddies drinking beer and don't give it a second thought.

From my perspective, it is a matter of the bar trying to get free "entertainment", knowing that the 10 guys who all show up to hack their way through a half-dozen covers each bring a couple of friends and buy a few beers. I get it, and can see why the bar would do it as long as they can put people on stools with glasses in hand. I can also see why these guys who have no interest in putting together a polished performance group would enjoy this sort of evening - call it "karaoke with guitars". All good, I guess, except for the loss of a few paid evenings for the local garage bands.

That said, it rubbed me wrong when a singer friend asked if I would come sit in "to help raise the bar on stage and put on a good show". From my perspective, why would I go "put on a good show" for nothing when I am already booked with paying gigs for the next 8-9 months? If the venue owner wants to "raise the bar", I am perfectly willing to accept a paying gig there - and I'd host the first set as open mic if they would like me to....but not as a freebie. I'm pretty certain that my buddy honestly just wants to have me help him sound better on his stuff, and has no reason to have considered it from my perspective. I still feel that we (musicians) shouldn't be supporting a "give-away" to a bar that isn't booking acts and paying them.

If the bar did open mic nights mid-week, then booked bands on the weekend, I would probably feel differently....but they don't.

Am I being unreasonable in viewing it this way? Any thoughts on how to respond to this sort of request and politely decline without coming across like a jerk?
Old 08-26-2019, 03:18 PM

I agree with you, given this particular bar's motives. All you have to tell your friend is you're too busy playing gigs to be able to do the open mic. Simple.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Our local music bars do "open mic" one night a week...
Old 08-26-2019, 04:12 PM

Getting paid to play at a bar these days is getting tougher and tougher.

I played in a successful San Francisco Bay Area 50/60's Oldies band from 1985 to 2012. During that 27 years we never played a single bar.

All band members had good day jobs, so there was no pressure to "play or die".

From Day 1 we focused on corporate gigs, private parties, weddings, and Stanford University (where we became the first call house band for 50/60's Class reunions, Graduate School of Business parties, etc. We got paid very well for what we did... 100% covers).

Open mics are (happily) becoming more and more prevalent locally, and other than the occasional paying solo acoustic gig, that's where I play these days. Great fun, actually!

To the OP, I suggest you rethink your customer base. Go to the folks who can afford the pay you feel you deserve. That's what we did and it worked out great.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

The OP is correct though I think it's obvious myself. It's about the money. More butts in the seats is more money. If the band thing brings in more people and the bar makes more money after expenses. They would more than likely do bands. Your friend and the others working this situation have their own agendas. So be it. You have your reasons. So be that also. There are other bar/business scams also like battle of the bands. And there are others.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 PM

Default Based on having been around a while, I can say

There's no guarantee that open mic performers will bring in a crowd of friends. Significant Other? Maybe. Friends? "Dude, next time for sure!" Relatives? "Oh, honey . . . "

It is pretty much guaranteed that anybody the performer does manage to rope in will nurse one beer all night.

"OPEN MIC EVERY NIGHT" is not a good business model.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:03 PM

Open mics are good for new performers trying to get comfortable performing in front of people. I participated in a few when I first started trying to play out about 5 years ago.

I’d say open mics are good for new performers, but they’re definitely not great entertainment by any means.

The last one I went to I saw a guy get up and play and sing three songs that sounded so bad I was genuinely embarrassed for him. But his wife was there in the audience, beaming with pride the whole time. I thought that was nice. I get paid to play all over town and my wife can’t stand to hear me play. Go figure.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 08-26-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post

"OPEN MIC EVERY NIGHT" is not a good business model.
No. They are usually on off nights when there won't be much business anyway. They are not done as a public service either.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
To the OP, I suggest you rethink your customer base. Go to the folks who can afford the pay you feel you deserve. That's what we did and it worked out great.
It really has nothing to do with my customer base. I get all the gigs I want already, and turn down enough to have pretty good control. It's just a frustration with the bar's business model, combined with a frustration that there are enough people out there who accept it that it flies.

How many people would ask an airplane mechanic or architect to show up and do some work for free "just for fun" or for the "exposure"? Would any aspiring professional think that this is an OK way to operate?
Old 08-27-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieDiluvian View Post
It really has nothing to do with my customer base. I get all the gigs I want already, and turn down enough to have pretty good control. It's just a frustration with the bar's business model, combined with a frustration that there are enough people out there who accept it that it flies.

How many people would ask an airplane mechanic or architect to show up and do some work for free "just for fun" or for the "exposure"? Would any aspiring professional think that this is an OK way to operate?
I understand the sentiment, especially about the venues not willing to come up with fair compensation (either willingly or due to financial constraints). but I consider the airplane mechanic or architect a bad analogy. Those trades are not part of the performing arts.

I have been both a Gigging musician as well as a open mic host, and use to attended several weekly/monthly open mics. The open mic night(s) were never about money but about the love of music and hanging out with friends and meeting other musicians. It was and still is a great forum to try out new original music.

Granted the skill level was not always something to write home about, but it was, and occasionally still is fun. If I were a national act would I still attend open Mic nights and jams? I would probably be more selective but I would like to think it would still be about the music and the socialization and supporting the newbie.

This is not to say the OPs points are not valid
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 AM

I always take the “honesty is the best policy”approach. Simply tell your friend exactly what you said in your post. You made it very clear why you can’t support this.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the Uk in a small city, and despite the reduction in pubs, I think you could go to an "open mic" every night of the week within a few miles.

This is an American phenomenon, and attracts the young folk, who, of course, drink far more and like loud music far more than us baby boomers who have preferred the folk or other music "club" scenario.

My club has been losing audience and participants and I've heard that others are also seeing a notable reduction in followers.

Talk of bad weather, too hot, too cold etc., and seasonal issues, but I've determined that , essentially, the middle aged and older are simply dying out, or losing health or incentive to come out to a night in a pub/club.

Few pubs now book acts - it does happen but I believe that breweries have either stopped or reduced entertainment funding. Open mic folk usually get paid to turn up erect an overly large p.a. and stand back.

Younger people are not accustomed to "pay to play" as is necessary in a folk or other club.

The whole point for pubs is to sell beer. People simply don't drink like thy used to, although the kids get drunk on supermarket booze BEFORE they go out, and the older, who mostly drive cannot drink and/or simply don't want to spend £6-10 a drink.

Ten years ago, about six clubs within a few miles who booked professional acts, but only one remains and only books three or four a year.

Some "private" promoters still book venues and acts but they are reducing noticeably.

It is also obvious that touring American acts will visit Europe and play France, Germany, Scandinavia, Italy, Poland and Ireland, maybe Scotland, but will avoid England.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:53 AM

I've been in the same situation, playing in three paying projects and having others ask me to accompany them at OMs. The honest answer is the easiest ... “Sorry, but I don’t have the time”. No need to down-talk their OM or go into a lengthy explanation.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieDiluvian View Post
....These guys mostly don't play any real paying gigs, so they just see it as a fun time with buddies drinking beer and don't give it a second thought.

...the 10 guys who all show up to hack their way through a half-dozen covers....

...these guys who have no interest in putting together a polished performance group would enjoy this sort of evening

...."karaoke with guitars".

without coming across like a jerk?
Too late.

Sorry (not sorry), but I found your entire post egotistical and derogatory toward beginners.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Too late.

Sorry (not sorry), but I found your entire post egotistical and derogatory toward beginners.
Sorry you feel that way - that wasn't my intent at all. My intent was more to be derogatory towards venue owners who make use of these players to get "live entertainment" without paying for it.

FWIW, not all of these players are beginners - and the buddy who asked me to jump in is actually a very accomplished singer/performer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion