The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Might as well ask why someone would buy a Ferrari or an ice cream or a very large collection of anything including acoustic guitars. It’s up to them.
Hey, just the other day I was driving my Ferrari to go see a beer can collection when I stopped for an ice cream! Who would have thunk it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Pre-War Guitar Co. has a 14-16 month waiting period. That only happens for 2 reasons...quality of product & reputation. Dishonest businesses don’t stay in business for long. FYI, all but $250 of their $1000 deposit is refundable should the buyer cancel, and once paid in full, the buyer has 5-days to return the guitar for a full no-questions-asked return (except for $250). That about as good of a deposit/return policy as anyone in the guitar business. I don’t know a single guitar builder—regardless of size—who doesn’t ask for a considerable deposit on a guitar order.
I may never feel skilled enough to own one of these, but I could definitely see owning a level one. They look nice and presumably sound great. On the other hand, the more beat up ones seem parallel to new jeans sold with ready made holes.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Default impressed..

So impressed I got a used J. I can't tell the difference in it and my 42' J-35 in a blind test. I'm waiting on a om-28 Brazillian
Old 09-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ongWriter View Post
So impressed I got a used J. I can't tell the difference in it and my 42' J-35 in a blind test. I'm waiting on a om-28 Brazillian
They build those now unless you're looking to get a used version.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Pre-War Guitar Co. has a 14-16 month waiting period. That only happens for 2 reasons...quality of product & reputation. Dishonest businesses don’t stay in business for long. FYI, all but $250 of their $1000 deposit is refundable should the buyer cancel, and once paid in full, the buyer has 5-days to return the guitar for a full no-questions-asked return (except for $250). That about as good of a deposit/return policy as anyone in the guitar business. I don’t know a single guitar builder—regardless of size—who doesn’t ask for a considerable deposit on a guitar order.
Guess I’m old fashioned show me the guitar and I’ll show you the money.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigredhog View Post
Guess I’m old fashioned show me the guitar and I’ll show you the money.
Nothing wrong with "old fashioned". But Wes & Ben deliver on their promises. I can't make a believer out of anyone but I can say that I've purchased four guitars from them, way before the long build wait, and I still own two of them. No problems ...no worries. These guys deliver...nuff said!

Old 09-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Are you willing to...and/or do you...take your new looking guitars outside, to picnics/family and friend gatherings, camping, the beach, the mountains, down to the river, over to friends' house porches and let anyone who wants to play your new looking guitars play them?

Most folks with new looking guitars do not like to expose their guitar to such playing situations, for fear of wear/damage, so sometimes a guitar with wear on it already, like a relic'd guitar, allows them to feel good in doing so.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Yes, I'd love to haul my guitar and gear on a 13 mile hike.

Superficial surface scratches don't change the fact that it's a nice and new guitar sensitive to the elements.
Old 09-09-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Might not happen but you could give Wes a call?
As of a week ago, I ordered Bob Thompson #3, a torrified D-18 type with a thin neck and a forearm bevel. Other than possibly adding a j-45 type, I'm feeling good in the pseudo vintage department.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

The pre-war guitar company comes up now and again on the AGF. I don't care to argue for them or against them. But I will say that since their guitars have a reputation of playing and sounding good I kind of like the relicing. It fits right in to the whole mom, apple pie, country music and good old boy imagery. Or the musician that has paid his dues putting in allot of loving time with his guitar making music imagery. It's style. You can buy clothes that make you look like an intriguing interesting person even when you're not. You can by a vehicle, house, interior decorating etc. to do the same. Even teeth, lips, boobs and a butt. I think the phoniness is the turn off. And I do have an issue with that. The reality is the purchased imagery is now part of the world and that isn't going to change.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Yes, I'd love to haul my guitar and gear on a 13 mile hike.

Superficial surface scratches don't change the fact that it's a nice and new guitar sensitive to the elements.

Who said anything about a 13 mile hike? I'm just talking basic easy to get to stuff, including going outdoors...but hey...I have hiked by big Guild 12 string, an several other guitars as well, a 1/4 mile each way in and out of Oswald West State Park here on the Oregon coast. And man, what a gorgeous place to go spend a day and sit and play. It is a beautiful hike in and out too!

Thats what gig bags with backpack straps are for...going portable.

And really...guitars aren't that sensitive to the elements for just occasional exposure. That's a notion that has come into being mostly in the last 20 years, as a way for folks to explain and justify their fear/phobia of putting any visible signs of use/wear on their guitar versus keeping their guitar in pristine condition...often also having to do with preserving re-sale value.

If you go back to the even as recent as the 70's and 80's, most folks just were not that worried about preserving the new condition of a guitar, and of course if you go back to the 30's through the 60's, so many of the old vintage Martin's and Gibson's, Guild's and other brands were hauled time and time again around the south and the midwest and the eastern seaboard on tours and following bluegrass festivals, and they survived to live to play yet today.

Sure...they don't look like new, but the wear and tear they do have, shows a life well lived in the service of making music, and making folks happy. I can't think of a better life for a guitar to have lived.

There is nothing wrong with having a new looking guitar, but it is...to me...a real shame...when you see, or hear of folks not being able to enjoy their guitar completely due to worrying about keeping their guitar "mark free". I have friends who have suffered from that fear, and have lost playing time and enjoyment of being able to play their wonderful guitars in great playing situations like being outside, or at jams, or at other friends and family gatherings.

We just had a thread out here on the AGF about that last week or the week before if I remember correctly.

So if a relic'ed guitar can help ease that fear, so much the better for the person who then gets to feel freer about enjoying their guitar in situations where they would not otherwise go and play.

duff
Old 09-09-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Who said anything about a 13 mile hike? I'm just talking basic easy to get to stuff, including going outdoors...but hey...I have hiked by big Guild 12 string, an several other guitars as well, a 1/4 mile each way in and out of Oswald West State Park here on the Oregon coast. And man, what a gorgeous place to go spend a day and sit and play. It is a beautiful hike in and out too!

Thats what gig bags with backpack straps are for...going portable.

And really...guitars aren't that sensitive to the elements for just occasional exposure. That's a notion that has come into being mostly in the last 20 years, as a way for folks to explain and justify their fear/phobia of putting any visible signs of use/wear on their guitar versus keeping their guitar in pristine condition...often also having to do with preserving re-sale value.

If you go back to the even as recent as the 70's and 80's, most folks just were not that worried about preserving the new condition of a guitar, and of course if you go back to the 30's through the 60's, so many of the old vintage Martin's and Gibson's, Guild's and other brands were hauled time and time again around the south and the midwest and the eastern seaboard on tours and following bluegrass festivals, and they survived to live to play yet today.

Sure...they don't look like new, but the wear and tear they do have, shows a life well lived in the service of making music, and making folks happy. I can't think of a better life for a guitar to have lived.

There is nothing wrong with having a new looking guitar, but it is...to me...a real shame...when you see, or hear of folks not being able to enjoy their guitar completely due to worrying about keeping their guitar "mark free". I have friends who have suffered from that fear, and have lost playing time and enjoyment of being able to play their wonderful guitars in great playing situations like being outside, or at jams, or at other friends and family gatherings.

We just had a thread out here on the AGF about that last week or the week before if I remember correctly.

So if a relic'ed guitar can help ease that fear, so much the better for the person who then gets to feel freer about enjoying their guitar in situations where they would not otherwise go and play.

duff
I'm in the Midwest where we deal with extremely hot and humid summers with bone chilling winters with zero humidity. Short exposure might not destroy a guitar, but it will mess up your setup and possibly cause finish issues. In the long term certain weather can cause damage. I have learned this the hard way and caused damage to ebony.

It's inaccurate to think that a guitar is only played if it has been scratched up. I spent years ensuring my picking is very accurate. I also don't see any value in buckle wear. My oldest guitars have tiny dings and abrasions. They'll NEVER have the relic look and I'll put them through their paces.

My guitars can go to BBQs, light camping, beaches, etc. Will I let a sober friend play it? Sure. Some stranger or drunk? Nope.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Have you played one yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'm in the Midwest where we deal with extremely hot and humid summers with bone chilling winters with zero humidity. Short exposure might not destroy a guitar, but it will mess up your setup and possibly cause finish issues. In the long term certain weather can cause damage. I have learned this the hard way and caused damage to ebony.

It's inaccurate to think that a guitar is only played if it has been scratched up. I spent years ensuring my picking is very accurate. I also don't see any value in buckle wear. My oldest guitars have tiny dings and abrasions. They'll NEVER have the relic look and I'll put them through their paces.

My guitars can go to BBQs, light camping, beaches, etc. Will I let a sober friend play it? Sure. Some stranger or drunk? Nope.
It’ll change your tone! (Pun intended )
Old 09-25-2020, 07:03 AM

No, not exactly the tone of a mid 30's D-18, but darn close. Sure feels like one...
Old 09-25-2020, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

I see the discussion of relicing is still about like drilling a cavity without lidocaine?

Old 09-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Now I want a model J. Level 1 looks great to me. (But I also like Joey McKenzie's actual Gibsons, which are at a somewhat higher level.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion