The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHH View Post
I bought my Taylor 410 twenty years ago. When I asked the sales clerk to see the "high end" guitars, I was thinking of buying a Martin. I had never heard of Taylor guitars, and then I only played once a month or so for friends and family. I remember as the clerk was listening to me strum the Taylor, he commented, "Are you sure you don't want a nice yamaha or ovation?" (He thought that maybe my skills weren't suited for such a nice guitar.) Having fallen in love at first sight and sound, I told him that the guitar would inspire me to improve. For the past 20 years, barely a day goes by, when I don't pull out my guitar and play. My 410 is mahogany and has a pinless bridge. Last week, I installed a colosi bone saddle, and it has greatly improved the tone. Currently I play in a Celtic band, and am the music leader in my church. This Taylor has enriched my life incredibly.
Great story, KHH. When you mention 410 mahogany - are you talking back/sides or also the top? You're guitar must sound amazing after 20 years of playing nearly every day.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for posting a pic, SMan. She's a beauty. I'm sure it plays better than my 1989 all laminate Yamaha (although that Yamaha was my best friend for 10 years).

Do you still play it much?
To be honest I haven't played any of my 12 strings much lately. This one has the thinnest and best playing neck of any 12er I have ever played however.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMan View Post
To be honest I haven't played any of my 12 strings much lately. This one has the thinnest and best playing neck of any 12er I have ever played however.
That's one of the great things about having many guitars ... when you get into that 12 string mode again, you've got an exceptional one ready to be played.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHH View Post
I bought my Taylor 410 twenty years ago. When I asked the sales clerk to see the "high end" guitars, I was thinking of buying a Martin. I had never heard of Taylor guitars, and then I only played once a month or so for friends and family. I remember as the clerk was listening to me strum the Taylor, he commented, "Are you sure you don't want a nice yamaha or ovation?" (He thought that maybe my skills weren't suited for such a nice guitar.) Having fallen in love at first sight and sound, I told him that the guitar would inspire me to improve. For the past 20 years, barely a day goes by, when I don't pull out my guitar and play. My 410 is mahogany and has a pinless bridge. Last week, I installed a colosi bone saddle, and it has greatly improved the tone. Currently I play in a Celtic band, and am the music leader in my church. This Taylor has enriched my life incredibly.
Maybe the clerk wanted to purchase the guitar for himself, and you beat him to it. This is a good story! You walk in, pick up a few guitars to try, find one that you are not familiar with, but it really catches your attention, so you buy it. A few years later, the maker of the guitar is a huge name in the business. I love it!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That's one of the great things about having many guitars ... when you get into that 12 string mode again, you've got an exceptional one ready to be played.
You really got that right! My old 855 blows the socks off of anything I have played since I purchased it all those years ago! Based on sound alone, it is priceless!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize that the older GCs were smaller. I wonder if they were increased in size during the revoicing a few years ago.
This is the beauty of this thread: We can see these rare gems pop out of the woodwork, and hear about the uniqueness of each one, as well as the stories behind them. In the world of collectables, as far as assessing value, the story behind each piece is often a factor in the price people will pay.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:57 PM

In early 1990, I'd just had my second kid in two years and decided to make a change. No more rock 'n' roll. I needed to get back to quieter music. I decided to sell my Gibson ES-175T electric and pick up a nice acoustic six. At the local store, I played a bunch of good guitars, but nothing fit. Finally, the owner said he had something from this company I'd never heard of - Taylor. He handed me a 1987 Taylor 510 which had been hanging around the shop

And I fell in love.

I immediately sold the Gibson (along with an old banjo), cleaned out my savings account, and never looked back. I still play the old girl every week.

My sons are both musicians now (one bass player, one guitarist). The younger one, the guitarist, looks covetously at my Taylor from time to time. I tell him to forget it. It's not going anywhere. Even after all these years, it's still my baby. Few guitars I play in stores today can match it - even other Taylors.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:06 PM

I have a 1989 610, spruce top, with flamed maple back and sides. Still sounds and plays good.
Taylor GA3
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM

My wife's son (does that count?) bought a 1982 810e new, when he was 17, and has written and gigged with it for nearly 30 years. Still plays like a dream. I've played it off and on for 20 years myself. Nice, low end b*lls, without the mud, and good clear string separation. He's nearly dug a hole thru the top near the rosette, with his flatpick but he's from that "roadworn" generation, so I guess he's proud of the damage . I think it's a Willie Nelson thing. He and his band just completed an "album project" gig, playing Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" and "Dark side of the moon" albums in their entirety, live. Guitar still rings...Bob sure builds a nice dread.
1905 Steinway 7ft. Grand, Model B (the wife's)
2008 Epi BB King Lucille/Vox AD50VT
I miss my: (purchased new)
1973 Takamine F360S (Martin lawsuit special) and
1977 Takamine F400S 12 string
Old 08-07-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
My wife's son (does that count?) bought a 1982 810e new, when he was 17, and has written and gigged with it for nearly 30 years. Still plays like a dream. I've played it off and on for 20 years myself. Nice, low end b*lls, without the mud, and good clear string separation. He's nearly dug a hole thru the top near the rosette, with his flatpick but he's from that "roadworn" generation, so I guess he's proud of the damage . I think it's a Willie Nelson thing. He and his band just completed an "album project" gig, playing Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" and "Dark side of the moon" albums in their entirety, live. Guitar still rings...Bob sure builds a nice dread.
Sounds like quite the guitar. My Yamaha nearly has a hole near the rosette from years of strumming. It adds character!
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 PM

Default '87 810

I have an '87 810. I bought it new early in '88. It was my first nice acoustic, and I love it (and appreciate it) more now than the day I brought it home. When I went shopping for a new guitar, I had never heard of Taylor, but when I picked this guitar up and played it, I knew it was something special.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:19 PM

I am the original owner of a 1992 K20 (spruce top, 3-piece koa back and sides).

Bought it at Woodsy's in Kent, Ohio. I told Paul the owner that I wanted to order a custom koa Taylor. He said he had bad news and good news. Bad news - Taylor had stopped building with koa because of a shortage. Good news - he had a K20 upstairs.

I also played 2 Brazillian 810's the same day. The koa was better for me. Still play it a lot even tho I also have Bourgeois', a Goodall, a Martin HD28 and a Collings D2H. A lot of wear and tear on it. Top has changed a golden dark tan.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 PM

I own a few, never sold one.
1977 Taylor 755
1978 Taylor 815
1980 Taylor 915
1988 Taylor K-22
1989 Taylor A15C
1992 Taylor J15 (Jazzbo)
1994 Taylor 912C
1996 Taylor Dan Crary (very early)
1997 Taylor Baby
1999 Taylor 25th Anniversary (SN #2)
Old 08-07-2011, 07:19 PM

Doh, I forgot to mention I also have a 1988 Santee made K20 that I bought in the early 90's as well as a 1989 K22. Both in excellent shape with no issues. Both sound and play great as well.

1988 K20

1989 K22

Old 08-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

great thread, if possible please post pictures for all us to adore.

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion