The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-18-2011, 02:27 PM

Did not mean for my post to shut this one out. Please keep it going by all means....

Last edited by Taylorplayer; 01-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Did not mean for my post to shut this one out. Please keep it going by all means....
Hi Taylorplayer, I read your post before you deleted it and thought it really added to this thread. Please feel free to repost it if you've still got it copied somewhere... I think the whole playability issue for people with hand/tendon/finger etc issues is really important and that's actually what started me looking for a short-scale custom guitar... I just couldn't find what I wanted and I wanted to be able to play more without being in pain. Sounds like you're experiencing something similar.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

TP
Nothing wrong with your post (unless it's not the one I'm thinking of). This thread has gone slow because the guitar is in transit and we are waiting with bated breath for Berf to get the puppy. It is a long way from Kansas to Oz, ask Dorothy, and there are wicked witches along the way.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

Well the wicked witches have succumbed after putting up an amazingly fearful resistance... the guitar was held up in FedEx customs while it was inspected, unpacked, prodded, poked, and fumigated (well probably not the latter, I hope, but who knows), before being subjected to a plethora of esoteric taxes, duties, imposts and other such like to line the pockets of who knows who....

Sorry, but had to get that off my chest before simply saying that it was well worth the wait.

I'd love to be able to provide an expert, erudite review of the guitar, but alas that's a bit beyond my amateur capabilities. So I'll have to keep it simple and just say that everything about this guitar exceeds my expectations... it's tone, it's playability and it's look.

However, I would like to mention a couple of things that have really struck me in the short time since the guitar arrived. First how incredibly comfortable this guitar is to play. I've got some tendonitis issues and so the ergonomics of this guitar... shortened multi-scale and wedged body... are a big deal for me. Bruce was rather hesitant about going for the really short scale lengths, but I'm so glad he took a punt and achieved such a great result. I feel sure I'm going to be able to play this guitar for longer stretches of time than the couple of other guitars that I have owned in the last few years. And that was one of the main reasons I started considering a custom build a while back. Second, I am truly delighted with how beautiful this guitar sounds. Sorry I can't be more specific about the tone but it really is lovely having that Sexauer quality that I've appreciated so much in the soundclips I've heard... only better because it's live in my house. So I feel I've got the best of both worlds... tone and playability.

So a big thank you to Bruce for his wonderful work and for taking on something a little risky. Not only am I completely satisfied with the guitar but the whole build process has been a great ride, particularly the emails and photos (all good fun)... a rather unexpected bonus that has capped off what has been quite an eventful, and at times daunting, few years of journeying...

Hope you've enjoyed the build thread. I'll sign off with a few photos I took this morning while trying to motivate myself to start work.........

Last edited by Berf; 01-19-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:30 PM

Can't help myself... here are a few more...

Old 01-19-2011, 03:39 PM

Beutious maximus!
Love to hear it live and close up.

Last edited by CraigRyder; 01-19-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:50 PM

Just beautiful! Congrats to you, Berf, and my compliments to the builder, Mr. Bruce Sexauer.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:50 AM

Thanks TP and Craig... It sure has been a good day.

Craig I set up a soundclick account today and when I can get my act together will try and record something on my trusty Zoom H2 (that I still haven't quite figured out how to use... I grew up in the days of cassettes and tape recorders!!). I can promise you it will be pretty basic stuff (no fancy fingerwork here) but I hope I can capture something of the sound of this guitar.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:09 AM

I'm glad to see she made it home safe and sound.... looking forward to some audio clips of this sweet guitar....
Old 01-20-2011, 06:14 AM

Berf,
Congrats on your new Sexauer..

Don't'cha just love the multi-scale neck and wedged body...!!

Take my word for it..it keeps getting better...mostly little subtle things...but as they keep adding up the "specialness" of what you've got becomes ever clearer...I'd give you some hints but it's waaaaay more fun to find out on your own..!

Get ready to make music you suspected was percolating within..

Enjoy (like you needed me to tell you that..!)

Larry

Last edited by lclyman; 01-20-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:02 AM

BEAUTIFUL! I love the shape of this guitar. Bruce's work is wonderful, as always. I would love to have that sitting in my living room! Congrats!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:42 AM

My idea of a nice evening would be to have Berf's Sexauer and Larry's Brondel
in a quit room. Two interesting guitars (imho) even by the standards of this place.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigRyder View Post
My idea of a nice evening would be to have Berf's Sexauer and Larry's Brondel
in a quiet room. Two interesting guitars (imho) even by the standards of this place.
So...are Berf and I just chopped liver..?

LC
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
So...are Berf and I just chopped liver..?
Well, ummmmm, I'm a vegetarian. Does that count?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

The most dedicated vegatalarians of my acquaintance still have chop-able livers, I believe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop