The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2019, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

My DSS-17 came strung with them and I like ‘em. First time I’ve ever tried ‘em. When it’s time for a change I expect I’ll replace them
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I just got a set in and want to try them on my Mahogany/Redwood guitar. I will report back
Well, I put them on last Friday. Like most people say, they sounded broken in right away. I can definitely see that as an advantage if you like that 3-day broken in sound and have a gig tonight. After a few days they themselves did break in even a bit more. I'm not sure what to think of them. They are not bad and they are not necessarily good either, just different. I'll probably keep trying them out and experimenting a bit. In the end I'm sure I will be running back to 80/20's.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM

I've tried them on a few guitars, liked them on some, didn't on others.

My D21 didn't like them. Everything that I like about that guitar just shines with Phosphor Bronze strings, and the Retros just didn't do it.

Ditto for my Taylor 314. That guitar likes DR Rares better than anything else I've tried on it.

My GS Mini likes Retros a lot.

And I have an old beat-up Seagull S6 Cedar that I considered selling until I put Retros on it. Those strings really opened it up and made that guitar shine. Fantastic.
Taylor GS-Mini mahogany
Way too many electrics and basses

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion