The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM

That looks outstanding Kevin!
Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod True View Post
That looks outstanding Kevin!
Thanks Rod - I appreciate your compliment. I really strive to make these guitars excellent. With every guitar I design and build I want to have great intonation, volume, sustain, playability and responsiveness.

I should have my PedersonSJ thread started very soon. It will be a mixture of classic/modern in design and look. Plus I have some killer woods picked for number one!!

You going to healdsburg?

I'll have some sides pics up tomorrow.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM

Kevin - looks fantastic! Thanks for posting the pics about building the rosette, it's something I haven't seen in many build threads. I have a sinker topped guitar and I really enjoy the tonal properties. Good luck!
Old 02-22-2013, 05:00 PM

Wow, this guitar looks great. I am realising I have so far to go in this game.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:53 PM

Thanks Martint and DruEdwards for the compliments. Yeah I can't wait to hear this bad boy!! I'm getting excited.

I was going to get pics of the sides up but I ran out of gas today haha...

Should have more pics later.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
Thanks Rod - I appreciate your compliment. I really strive to make these guitars excellent. With every guitar I design and build I want to have great intonation, volume, sustain, playability and responsiveness.

I should have my PedersonSJ thread started very soon. It will be a mixture of classic/modern in design and look. Plus I have some killer woods picked for number one!!

You going to healdsburg?

I'll have some sides pics up tomorrow.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
I'm not going to healdsburg this year. I'm hoping to the next time round....
Old 02-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Default sound ports

I read a thread on here a week ago where the guy was explaining his pictures and there were clamps all over and glue bottles etc. And he said "some things in guitar building get messy" haha...I thought that was humorus and I say "ditto's".

Again, nothing new I'm doing here, just "my version" and how I do it. I'm gluing the b/w/b "patches" in.

I mentioned this fixture before. Its a fixture that accepts rabbited inserts because my two hole sizes are different. I didn't want to make two fixtures so I came up with this. Probably not original - but was/is to me

In this pic, the insert is put in and the hole is routed.

Then I move the fixture to the front hole position.

I place the insert in and rout the front hole. The front hole has to be a little "shorter" because of the curved side going into the head block area.

Ok, I know most guys "get" the pin router, but here is a good pic for some guys who might not have had the chance to be around one and they might not understand how it works. The pin in the table is the same diameter as the router bit above. Its located directly over it and the router head can be raised and lowered pneumatically. The table bed can also be raised and lowered independently. The pattern to be routed is place on the bottom of the base. The pin follows this pattern as the router bit routs the mounted piece above.

Here is the jig in action.

And the finished piece.

Then these little "grills" get glued in next

Still not done with these. My sides take a long time to make with these sound ports. They are worth it in the end though.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Kevin,
You workmanship looks top tier in every way!!!

--
Simon
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM

Default additional EuphoricMojo feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Hi Kevin,
You workmanship looks top tier in every way!!!

--
Simon
Hi Simon - thank you very much for the compliment. I just want to share the guitar pics and some other ideas I've had. Kind of "paying it forward" in a sense. I've learned a lot from others that were willing to share, so now I want to be that same way.

I've had some wonderful experiences with other builders. I spend a few days with Sheldon Schwartz in Canada a while back ('06) and we've grown to become friends since that time - exchanging emails on a regular basis. His guitars are absolutely top notch too. Check out his website/work. He has shared his bracing idea with me. Its pretty bad arse.

There are a couple others too...I'm going back up to visit Jim Olson in April. He is a HUGE influence on me. Might not come out in the looks of my guitars, but his operation in general is totally inspiring. I'm sure there are others that can attest to Mr Olson influence .

Here are a few pics of my EuphoricMojos I'd like to share also. I haven't mentioned it much but this guitar, along with adjustable intonation saddles, also has an engineered adjustable neck. Most people/players don't even realize the neck is adjustable at all. Its in a tight pocket. (if your bolting your neck on your 70% the way there anyway). I put the adjusting nut on the inside for a couple reasons. 1. to eliminate a 'visible' prejudice against the guitar in this manner and 2. it is a "set it and forget it" type thing. Someone can adjust it as they wish, daily, but I'd rather like to look at it as a "built in neck re-set". When the guitar is in England and the set up changes, the tech can adjust it and not mess with the saddle ht. - its a practical way to build a modern custom guitar (and adjust the intonation too ).

This is a closer look at the bridge saddles to.

Have a great day Simon. I'd like to meet you someday too. Hopefully you'll fill that application out next time and we'll see you there .

Kevin.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Default abstract rosette

Here are a couple pics of the abstract rosette.

Its coming along nicely. I should have some sides pics up in the next day or so.

Hope you like.

Kevin.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Exquisite... I think you just became my new favorite luthier.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:22 AM

Default inlay detail on the sides

What would a custom guitar be without customization?

Here is a neat little idea I've employed as a match to the rosette. Its an abstract inlay on each side to "match" the rosette. Putting this in the waist of the guitar made the inlay difficult - oh well, whats life without a challenge haha.

As I progess, things will get cleaned up and sanding scratches will get sanded out and all that fun stuff. When its done - it will be perfect. The sides are starting to pop a little more with some more sanding. Its just a long tedious process, as the builders all know.

We've almost decided on an inlay. Got some pictures of the concept last night. It will be cool.

Hope you like it.

Have a great day.

Kevin.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:44 AM

Awesome looking guitars! Is that piece of material over the sound ports there so that one doesn't see the insides of the guitar or does it have another function?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

very cool details and customization. thanks for sharing. love this guitar
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike81 View Post
Exquisite... I think you just became my new favorite luthier.
Thanks Mike keep checking in, please.

Have a great night.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop