The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:48 PM

Default forum

I've been reading (and posting) on a lot of threads in this forum and I am being blessed by all the knowledge possessed and shared by all these builders/friends and players. Some of it confirms what I've already experienced/believed/built and some of it is new to me. But it all makes an effect on the outcome.

It will make me a better builder. Thanks.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Kevin, I think you are 100% right. AGF is a fantastic forum and we are all lucky there are so many builders that are willing to share experience and knowledge. Thanks to everyone who spends time to answer questions and be so willing to help out.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
Very nice.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Very nice.
Hey JoeCharter - thank you! I am going to be doing another inlay like that on another guitar pretty soon. We've already picked out woods and I've got some of it started including his Brazilian Rosewood neck. I'm looking forward to it.

Hope you are having a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Kevin, I think you are 100% right. AGF is a fantastic forum and we are all lucky there are so many builders that are willing to share experience and knowledge. Thanks to everyone who spends time to answer questions and be so willing to help out.

Armadillo - I think this forum will be a nice place, hopefully, to meet some friendly people who have many similar interests.

I'm hoping by tonight I'll have some initial inlay pics up. Once I get that in the headstock I can move on. I've been waiting for the customer to make a couple decision on the inlay .

Its a great day to be alive - make it a good one!

Kevin.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Default inlay install

Here is part of the inlay getting put in. My customer finally decided he wanted the pearl cat and the recon dog. So i had to re-fit the cat back in.

Anyway, here is how I do it. If you see anywhere you can make a suggestion please let me know.

I start by routing out the area where the inlay goes.

Because part of the inlay is on the truss cover, it has to be left in during the inlay process.

Cleaning the corner with a chisel

When I get to the truss cover I raise the bit and rout where I need to. This is so I can have some ebony behind the inlay on the truss cover.

Then I tack glue the inlay to the truss cover and pull it out so I can cut the truss cover away, or "out" of the inlay.

Here the truss cover is cut away from the inlay

And here is the "re-fit". Its nice and tight.

And then the inlay put in the headstock.

Next will be the other part of the inlay, the moon in the window, the logo and the engraving. Then I'll be able to move on with the neck construction.

Hope you enjoyed.

Have a nice evening. Tomorrow is not guaranteed.

Kevin.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Wow Kevin that's a lot of detail work! You definitely have more patience than me. Also great idea on having a flush truss rod cover. Looks great keep up to good work!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Doerr View Post
Wow Kevin that's a lot of detail work! You definitely have more patience than me. Also great idea on having a flush truss rod cover. Looks great keep up to good work!
Hi Tom - Thanks. True, not every body has the patience.

Yeah, been doing the flush truss cover for a while now. I think it all started when I "needed" to incorporate it in an inlay design. I have to have the truss rod on the nut end (design)...so its something I have to deal with.

Have a great day.

Kevin.

Last edited by KevinLPederson; 03-26-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: speling (jk)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM

Default headstock inlay pt 2

These pics didn't turn out very well...but the idea is there.

Here the logo is dropped in.

The moon and leaves going in...and the crank out latches.

moon and latches installed

Here you can see the logo pretty good and the "window" is put in on the left side.

Here you can see the moon and leaves through the window. This is Harvey Leaches 'smoke and mirrors' technique (want to give credit) .

Tomorrow i will be done with this inlay. I have to engrave the stripes on the cat, the eyes on both the cat and dog, on the crank out latches and the outlet on the truss cover. Then I can start the finish on the headstock and finally move on to gluing the fingerboard on. This was the "hurdle" and now I should be able to move on a little quicker.

Hope you had a peaceful day.

Kevin.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM

Default inlay done

Here are a few shots of the inlay - its finished. As usual, the pics don't really do it justice.

Even though the inlay looks nice, its the guitars fit, finish, sound and playability that are most important to me. Inlay is "bling". Some like it some don't - I'll build it either way.

On this guitar, I can now move on...to the rest of the guitar.

and one so you can see how the truss cover was included as part of the inlay.

Have a great afternoon.

Kevin.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Kevin, this is fascinating to watch. Every detail exquisitely done. And to think the sound and playability will be the best part of this guitar is mind boggling. I am in awe of your work. Thanks so much for sharing this incredible build.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Kevin, this is fascinating to watch. Every detail exquisitely done. And to think the sound and playability will be the best part of this guitar is mind boggling. I am in awe of your work. Thanks so much for sharing this incredible build.
Cigarfan - LOVE your "location" (somewhere in the blast zone of DC)...funny. Great ambiguous humor...haha..

Thanks by the way for the compliments. This thing is going to actually get better once the abalone starts going on the body, the bridge, the neck detail and the finish.

Keep an eye out - hope you all have a fantastic day. Its good to be alive!

Kevin.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM

Default fingerboard

I glued the fingerboard on to the neck today. I also got all the neck attachment holes plotted and I got the inserts put in.

I put the binding on the fingerboard.

here are the neck and fingerboard ready to be glued.

I put this big flat bar on there first to keep the neck aligned during glue up

and then I put the rest of the clamps on.

Not sure what I'll get done tomorrow...we'll see.

On another note: I have a guitar model in the works that will be a culmination of all the innovation I've been working on to date. So it will be "loaded" with everything I do, as a model. I don't have a name for it yet - if you have any suggestions let me know. Anyway, this is NOT the the Pederson SJ #1 I've been talking about.

I will tell more about this in detail in the future (and I'll have a build thread). For now the short story is Sheldon Schwartz and I have become good friends. For those of you who know - he has a pretty awesome guitar in his Oracle. He shared his bracing idea with me and over the course of a couple years I put my spin on it and refined it some - and passed that information back to him. This brace just allows the guitars to have this LUSH fingerstyle tone...its cool.

So with this brace idea/concept, and my other "innovative" features - I will be trying to get this guitar ready for the Healdsburg guitar show. I might be putting the Pederson SJ #1 on hold. I probably can't get them both done. And I really want to put a killer inlay on the SJ#1.

I'll have to see how it plays out.

Hope you all have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Kevin,

I have been meaning to comment on this for a long time. What great work. I love it all around.

I really look forward to see what you come up with for Healdsburg ... and then get to see it in person. I remember seeing your stuff at Montreal this past summer (and meeting you) so I look forward to see you and your guitars in August.

Awesome job
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Osthoff View Post
Kevin,

I have been meaning to comment on this for a long time. What great work. I love it all around.

I really look forward to see what you come up with for Healdsburg ... and then get to see it in person. I remember seeing your stuff at Montreal this past summer (and meeting you) so I look forward to see you and your guitars in August.

Awesome job
Hi John - Thank you! I believe Sheldon introduced us in Montreal.

Yes - I am going to be bringing some neat stuff to Healdsburg (all that I can get done that is ). This 'new' concept/guitar I'm working on is going to be very cool - shooting for a lush, loud and responsive fingerstyle guitar/tone. Definitely want to show it to you. I invite everyone to check it out in Healdsburg.

Have a Good Friday!

Peace.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop