The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 PM

Bruce, it looks like you're working too hard for a "retired" builder!!! Beautiful work by the way!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 05:38 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyprs View Post
Bruce, it looks like you're working too hard for a "retired" builder!!! Beautiful work by the way!!!
I get the sense that Bruce's idea of retirement is unconventional. In a good way!
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Retirement is great! It gives me time to drive to Memphis. And I am getting to spend a lot of time doing the work I love, which is building instruments. More time to play music, too. Here is a clip of the 2nd pernambuco L-00, not that I'm bragging, but you CAN hear the guitar pretty well. The Volunteer.

Haven't done today's carving session yet, but I did take the Mini-D out of the clamps and take a couple of pictures:

Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Firefox switched to Yahoo as their default search engine, but you can easily switch it to Google if desired by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the search box, which displays a link to 'Change Search Settings' and then select Google as your default in the next dialog box.

Another example of an arched back in a production guitar is the Takamine NPT-115, a Japanese-market only model from the 1990s. This model also has an arched top and a body depth of 3.5 inches. I imported one from Japan when I became interested in arched backs. For awhile Eastman also offered arched back models, the AJx16 series.

-Rick
Old 01-28-2015, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_S View Post
Firefox switched to Yahoo as their default search engine, but you can easily switch it to Google if desired by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the search box, which displays a link to 'Change Search Settings' and then select Google as your default in the next dialog box.

-Rick
Thank you. I have done that several times now and even though it SAYS Google is my choice, I find that after a short time I am once again trapped in a Yahoo loop. I'd have no problem with the Yahoo engine if it worked for me, but there seems to be a serious bug where it blows right through a page I have chosen, gives a false error for a few seconds, and then defaults to a Yahoo search. If I try to use the back button, it becomes a loop and switches between the error page and the search results at high speed forever, or at least long enough to lose my attention and make me shut down the browser. That said, I have had stability since yesterday at the moment. Being hijacked I can handle, but being hijacked by incompetence is another thing.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:53 PM

Bruce, your problem might be a scripting problem, i.e., JavaScript running amok and unchecked on various sites. Perhaps triggered by internal changes in Firefox and/or the switch to a different default search engine. If you don't already have a way to control the execution of JavaScript in your browser, I'd recommend installing the NoScript extension. It's high maintenance in that every single page you visit you have to allow/disallow the Javascript that would otherwise run automatically on the page. This is a lot of bother, but personally I wouldn't browse without it, it's a common sense precaution against malicious (or annoying) scripts. You might be surprised the extent to which JavaScript runs in your browser without your knowledge, but such a utility will clue you in. So if you're not using something like this, it could help you narrow the possibilities for the cause of your problem.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

I received a few additional images from Petaluma. After two sessions carving the inside of the back, the back got flipped today and a session carving the outside began...

Old 01-28-2015, 04:21 PM

Starting to take shape for sure...that does not look like an easy job to say the least.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Default session #4

Bruce spent session #4 shaping the outside arch the Bigleaf Maple top today. Tomorrow's focus may return to carving the inside.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have a fellow interested in the new Pernambuco L00 and I made him this recording of 3 of my guitars to put things in perspective. I make a small error right away, which is saying the the OMish artifact has 24.9" strings, they are 25.4".

For those who want to hear the guitar making music, there is this.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default And then there's this, again

Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post

That last post failed to communicate IMO, so I took a couple more
Absolutely stunning! When you finish the sound hole, is there a distinct bevel of the wood you're trying to achieve?
Old 01-29-2015, 08:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperry View Post
Absolutely stunning! When you finish the sound hole, is there a distinct bevel of the wood you're trying to achieve?
I'm stumped on this question . . . you are referring to the second soundhole pictures, judging by the quote, but what would be beveled?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Along the inside edge of the soundhole. Do you go for a straight 90˚ edge, or sometimes put, say, a quarter bevel around the hole?

Or is it just sanded enough to knock off the roughness, rounding it as little as possible?
Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, I see why I didn't get it. I never thought to bevel the soundhole edges. Being spruce, it is on and off hard and soft as the grain changes, which makes a shaped edge something or a challenge. I currently use a curved block to finesse the inside surface of the hole itself and then barely break the two hard edges with 320g.

That picture isn't one of my sound holes, is it? It has been years since I've done anything similar, I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop