The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Default ~ SOLD ~ Martin D-21, 1968, Brazilian Rosewood guitar, clean & plays well

CLICK photos to ENLARGE

~ This has been SOLD ~

This Martin D-21 was Made in 1968. It Plays very well and has a flat, healthy and Crack-Free Spruce top too.
Majorly similar to a D-28 with the exception of having a Rosewood Fingerboard and Bridge, this is a friendly-priced
Brazilian Rosewood Martin flat top guitar.
My personal PLAYING preference is Rosewood over Ebony fingerboards, so the “21” series Martins have always appealed to me.

The Black vinyl PG was recently replaced, they typically all curl up and pull away, with an exact fit replica. The PG was
“custom-made,” finished over and installed the right way.
There is a lightly glued hairline crack on the bass side of the body, it is a few inches long but VERY hard to see.
I attempted to show it in a photo of the side, it was minor.

The guitar is 52 years old and exhibits a normal amount of wear, tear and patina throughout.
This Vintage Martin acoustic plays very nicely and this guitar remains in very nice, fully playable condition.

Comes in a Non-Original, but Era-Correct Hard Shell case with PURPLE lining.
I have FAR to many instruments and this guitar is simply not getting used and someone should get to enjoy it.

If it helps anyone, I would consider a Deposit and Lay-Away, Terms to be discussed.

Last edited by largeal; 04-04-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:12 PM

These D-21's from the 60's are very fine examples of a quality Brazilian Martin at a reasonable price.

Having a 1964 D-21 myself I can vouch for the great sound they produce. I only wish mine was in as great a condition as yours.

Best wishes on the sale of this super nice guitar.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:49 PM

I own a '62 D-21 and I agree that they are super guitars. Like FLRon, mine also has more battle scars than yours, but is still the one guitar that I'll never sell. I bought it over 40 years ago.
Does yours have Kluson tuners, or had they switched to Grovers by '68? I know they did switch from tortoise coloured binding and guard to black in 1965 (I think).
There were very few (possibly only one) D-21s made with Indian rosewood in 1969, the last year for the D-21.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 09-22-2020, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jim. There is link to MORE photos at the bottom of my listing if you care to see them.
The guitar has Grovers. Martin changed the spec a couple of years earlier and the Tortoise Shell Pickguards end sometime in late 1966 or early 67 based on my recollection.
It is early enough to have Brazilian RW Back and Sides and a Maple Bridge Plate too.
The D-21's are usually more rare than the same year D-28's as far fewer were usually made.
I personally prefer Rosewood fingerboards and I have many 21 model Martins because of that preference, but I have TOO many and this one is now for sale.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:35 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

What a beaut! GLWS.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:22 AM

Default Interested

Hi, I'm interested in a lay away arrangement. Please feel free to call/text at 5166554036. Text is usually better for me. I live in NY as well if you'd like to consider a local deal.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars